Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how much force should you use

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    use whatever force is needed to end the confrontation... if it takes only the force to walk away, then do it... if it only takes a well placed headbutt to the face, then do it - only puss!es call the cops anyways. i don't consider the law when defending myself from aggression, as my first priority is to concern myself with the moment, not something unforeseen in the future... fear of the laws can be a fatal hesitation.

Uh...that's about the worst advice I've ever heard. You can only use force that is reasonable to the situation or you could end up in jail yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Skill View Post
    I was reading the timming and striking thread and this made me think. when in a fight how bad do you want to mess someone up should you grapple them and choke them out or should you just let your hands fly.
    personaly I'm more of a fan of striking. plus everytime I think of choking someone out I get reminded of my brother who got charged w/ strangulation when someone pulled a gun on him.. whole nether story
    do you even have time to consider the options, or does pure reaction and repetitive traing kick in
    only enough to defend ourself.

we do not take laws into our own hand.

that would be the job of the police and other law enforcement officers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    Uh...that's about the worst advice I've ever heard.
    same can be said of the variety of so called advice on these boards.
    You can only use force that is reasonable to the situation or you could end up in jail yourself.
    ummmm... duh, how did you not come to realize this from my post? every encounter is circumstancial, yet i am not gonna let myself be afraid of possible jail time for protecting myself from someone intent on killing me... a jail sentence will end, being killed IS the end.

Back away safely and go about your business. Do whatever, and only whatever, it takes to achieve this. Forget the cops. You take advantage of the guy once you have him, give him that extra unnecessary kick to the head... he'll remember. He'll find you and he'll probably be armed.

It's not the movies. If you don't kill the guy he'll hold a grudge. That's why it's most important to avoid the confrontation at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Back away safely and go about your business. Do whatever, and only whatever, it takes to achieve this. Forget the cops. You take advantage of the guy once you have him, give him that extra unnecessary kick to the head... he'll remember. He'll find you and he'll probably be armed.

It's not the movies. If you don't kill the guy he'll hold a grudge. That's why it's most important to avoid the confrontation at all costs.
    What Ray said.

What Ray said.

Guys carry grudges. Thier friends carry grudges. Thier families carry grudges. Thier girlfriends carry grudges. (Starting to get the picture yet?)

And as for that stupid "Only pussies call the cops anyway" remark.....bystanders call the police. People who want you and the guy you`re fighting to pay for the stuff you broke call the police. And people who just got thier ass kicked by you call the police.........and they LIE.

Get used to it.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    wow. self-defense is alot of work. I would have to hunt down his entire family, and then any witnesses...it would be a bloodbath. Better off just giving them your wallet.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    wow. self-defense is alot of work. I would have to hunt down his entire family, and then any witnesses...it would be a bloodbath. Better off just giving them your wallet.
    "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

-Gandhi

-Gandhi
    Except for me....that makes me KING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Better off just giving them your wallet.
    but i don't own a wallet, let alone do i have anything to go in it... if people end up attacking me, it will ultimately be to seriously injure me or to end my life - both are justifications to use lethal force if one is not able to escape the confrontation.
    and a fist for a fist makes the whole world full of better fighters...
    Quote Originally Posted by David43515 View Post
    Guys carry grudges. Thier friends carry grudges. Thier families carry grudges. Thier girlfriends carry grudges. (Starting to get the picture yet?)
    yeah... it is beginning to look like lots of insecurity issues...
    And as for that stupid "Only pussies call the cops anyway" remark.....bystanders call the police.
    oh but that was great eh??
    People who want you and the guy you`re fighting to pay for the stuff you broke call the police.
    just break the attacker, nothing else... boy... that was a simple one.
    And people who just got thier ass kicked by you call the police.........and they LIE.
    maybe they shouldn't instigate physical altercations then.
    Get used to it.
    LOL... i am used to everything at this point in my journey.

I recall a conversation I heard from two very high ranking Kyokushin guys, they were both high ranking Judoka too.
    #1- Yeah, karate has to be in the last resort, I mean, you may have to kill the SOB"
    #2-Agreed, I mean you just don't know, he could be some punk and that is that, or he can be some connected fool and he'll be after you and your family,its just insane"
    #1- Yeah, had too much of that in Japan....
    #2- I hear you, that's what the old man probably meant when he said karate as the last resort, I agree with you...

there was a time i was confronted by 3 guys drinking out of the back of their pick up truck. 3 drunk guys who wanted to kick my ass for nothing more than the way i looked.(ok maybe i flipped them off, but they started it) i was alone, it was late, i had no escape options. but i had a knife. i put my back to a wall and pulled it. ended up having a few beers with those guys that night.

one time at a party, same deal. some homies wanted to come down on me cuz i wasnt one of theirs. they were drunk of course. i tried to de escelate the situation with words the best i could. no where to run. i ended up getting beat down by a gang that night. worst beating ive ever had. i had to take it. maybe i said something wrong, or looked the wrong way. things can get out of hand pretty quick with a mob.

in the first situation, had i tried to talk or walk, i would have gotten beaten. in the second if i tried to fight back, i probably would have quite a few more scars than i have now, or maybe even be dead.

my point, sometimes **** is un predictable and you dont really have the option of control of the situation. you have to ride the wave sometimes and hope for the best.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

This lesson was presented to me when I first to moved to Puerto Rico and a couple local heavies were fu(king with me, drawing my "let's go to the beach" response. Turned into a 3-on-1 jumping with one of them armed with a pipe, which hit me.

Didn't absorb the lesson until a few weeks later when the 3 swelled into about 15... pipes, knives and two guns this time.

Lesson learned: keep the mouth shut. Always swallow the pride and walk away. If engaged, as much violence as can be summoned as quickly as possible and then get away. Find out what word on the street is involving your come-up-ance. Make powerful friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Make powerful friends.
    this is the best thing i have seen you post yet.

Auto Pilot

Ray Pina is right on, you will train and when in the Sh...t goes down you will know what to do

It will come without thinking and if not you will be the one on the ground bleeding

...if you stop and analyze it will be too late if someone has the intent of hurting you or worse

As for yelling at someone that you practice martial arts...not a good idea

Dont give anything away

If there is crowd, let it be clear you dont want to fight

I have dropped many guys where everybody standing around thought that he slipped and fell

I really dont want to end up in court,

www.martialartifacts.net
    Last edited by sansoo99; 09-02-2009 at 10:25 AM.