Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Holy Mountain

The Holy Mountain

Here's a fresh spin on the Shaolin shows. I'd like to see this one.
    Monday, 10th August 2009
    Martial arts schools join forces for November show

Two of the world's oldest schools of martial arts will unite on stage for the first time in a show that promises to fascinate audiences with their skills and mastery.

The Shaolin Monks from China have united with the Kalari Fighters from India for a new show called the Holy Mountain and which will hit the stage in November.

More than three million people have seen the monks in action and they have performed their show on four continents throughout the last 14 years.

The monks have already been in Malta demonstrating the way they train their mind to take complete control of their body.

But this time they will be joined by the Kalari fighters who practise Kalaripayattu, believed to be among the oldest existing martial art forms.

It dates back more than 2000 years and is said to be the forerunner of popularly known Chinese martial arts, as the Buddhist monk Bodhidharma took this knowledge from India to China.

The show will be held at the Mediterranean Conference Centre on November, 6, 7 and 8 and there is a 25 per cent discount on tickets purchased in August.

Tickets are available from the MCC.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The Holy Mountain

Ok, this is a new show that sounds interesting. It's connected to Fetchter, Wang, and Hartmann who produced Mystery and Magic, along with several other shows.
    The Holy Mountain – Malta 2009
    The Shaolin Monks from Henan, China are to meet the masters of Kalaripayattu from Kalari, India in Malta in November for what is expected to be a breathtaking show.

Kalaripayattu is the oldest existing martial art form. Dating back more than 2,000 years, it is said to be the forerunner of the more popularly known Chinese martial arts. This martial art is thought to have come to China when Buddhist monk Bodhidharma – the founder of Zen Buddhism and the creator of Kung Fu – brought his knowledge of the martial art from India.

According to ancient eastern beliefs, millions of years ago before the earth emerged from the infinite energy of the universe, points of special power formed – springs of mysterious energy in which the immense power of being in spiritual mastery metamorphosed.

China has five holy mountains, among which are the Hengshan in the north, the Hunshan in the south, the Huashan in the west and the Taishan in the east.

Connecting the four mountains by an imaginary line shows at the point of intersection the most holy of places – the mighty Songshan Mountain. Here, at the centre of energy, unusual things happened over the centuries that influenced the spiritual development of the earth with lasting effect.

It is a story of body and soul, of peace and energy, of knowledge and wisdom, living in perfect harmony – the story of Zen and Shaolin Kung Fu.

In November Maltese audiences will be invited into the mysterious world of the monasteries and temples at the foot of the holy Songshan Mountain in the heart of China.

They will be shown the life and work of the monks, the origin and the mysticism, the truth and beliefs – a trip into the depths of world religions and in the secrets of the balance between the spiritual and physical health of human beings.

Within the framework of the new Shaolin show, “The holy mountain”, Herbert the producer will present, for the first time, the links between the Shaolin Monks and the masters of Kalaripayattu by bringing them on stage.

He has engaged five of the best Kalaripayattu masters in India who will now compete for the very first time against Shaolin monks.

Standing Ovations will present “The Holy Mountain” live at The Mediterranean Conference Centre on 6, 7 and 8 November. For reservations call MCC on 2559 5750/1 or send an e-mail to

bookings@mcc.com.mt.

MCC Box Office: Monday to Friday 10am – 1pm and 5 to 7pm. Saturday from 10am to 1pm 10:00 – 13:00; Gozo Box Office: Call 2155 8266 or 79815541.

For further information: send an e-mail to info@standingovations.com.mt, visit www.holymountaininmalta.com or call the helpline on 79557988.
    I'm stealing my earlier post on this in Do the Shaolin Monks still tour? thread to here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

very interesting, had a fellow from india at the temple do some...

I'd like to see this I think.

Another fake show

It's been proven that there's no connection between Kalari and Shaolin. Why do these myths perpetuate?

Sometimes the myth is more important

Because buried within myth often lies our morality and aspirations...
    Roots of Shaolin kung fu in kalaripayattu
    by FRANCESCA VELLA

Kalaripayattu being the oldest, existing martial art form, the Indian kalaripayattu masters’ show with the Shaolin Monks at the beginning of November will show the roots of Shaolin kung fu, producer Herbert Fetcher told The Malta Independent on Sunday.

Kung fu traces its ancestry to Bodhidharma (Tamo in Chinese), an Indian monk who took his knowledge from India to China. He was the third son of an Indian king and a master of yoga and kalaripayattu.

The Malta show, “The Holy Mountain”, at the Mediter-ranean Conference Centre on 6, 7 and 8 November, tells the story of Bodhidharma, who had made his way to China in 520AD.

The Shaolin Monastery in the Henan Province of China was founded by Bodhidharma, who translated the Buddhist teachings into Chinese and developed a new doctrine in the course of this translation: Zen Buddhism – one of the strictest forms of Buddhism.

Mr Fetcher said the Shaolin Monastery is the cradle of Zen Buddhism and the monks spend six to seven hours a day meditating.

“To be a real Shaolin Master you have to be a Zen Buddhist. They have very strict rules: they only eat homegrown food, don’t drink alcohol and wake up two hours before the sun rises. They are not allowed to marry.

“Apart from meditation, they spend between five to seven hours a day doing physical training (running, gymnastics, balance), particularly controlling the energy flow of the body by practising chi exercises.”

Students (shamis) as young as five start training in schools close to the monastery, and when they turn 18, they can then decide whether or not to join the monastery. Although they are bound to follow strict rules, they are free to leave whenever they please.

Mr Fetcher said only a few of the shamis become monks; many of them become trainers, security people and actors.

Those who will be performing in Malta include a 75-year-old Shaolin master, a seven-year-old shami and another 12 masters who have reached various degrees and grades in the practice of Zen Buddhism and Shaolin kung fu.

As for the Indians kalaripayattu masters, they are Hindus, not monks, can get married and eat normal Indian food, but they are still very religious.

Kalaripayattu was forbidden by the British government for hundreds of years, but it was still taught secretly. When the British left India about 60 years ago, Kalaripayattu was re-established and slowly some schools began teaching it again.

In “The Holy Mountain” show, the Indians and the Chinese will compare their exercises, bringing out the roots of Shaolin kung fu.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by shaolinexecutioner View Post
    It's been proven that there's no connection between Kalari and Shaolin. Why do these myths perpetuate?
    I heard this there are some other reasons there might have been some style from India that both Kalari and early Shaolin drew from.

Well, that's the whole internal vs exeternal debate.
    Shaolin was considered External because of it's Indian origins (religion and thus its martial arts) and Taoist was considered internal (because its religion and its martial arts were indigenous to China).

But, most of early Shaolin's martial arts came from Chinese military (Tang Dynasty especially, but maybe earlier too.)

Red face

am I the only one that is over hearing about traveling shows? when are they gonna stop trying to cash in on everything that is vaguely related to shaolin and actualy get back to basics and real gongfu? maybe if they were to do a tradition forms/ history show like what is being talked about in some other posts I would be interested. just my 2cents on the issue

The assertion that Shaolin being external means "outside of China" arises in the 16th century. Can you date it earlier than that, Sal Canzonieri? The Bodhidharma myth arises around the same period and Bodhidharma is the one that is commonly attributed as the external figure that brought Indian influence into China. Since Bodhidharma is a myth, the Kalaripayattu connection falls apart too.

The assertion that Shaolin being external means "outside of China" arises in the 16th century. Can you date it earlier than that, Sal Canzonieri? The Bodhidharma myth arises around the same period and Bodhidharma is the one that is commonly attributed as the external figure that brought Indian influence into China. Since Bodhidharma is a myth, the Kalaripayattu connection falls apart too.
    I thought that was what I was implying?

I see. I misread you. My bad. The grammar in this sentence confused me.
    I heard this there are some other reasons there might have been some style from India that both Kalari and early Shaolin drew from.

I see. I misread you. My bad. The grammar in this sentence confused me.
    Well, I said that I heard that there were other reasons for the connection between Shaolin and Kalari, they they perhaps once sprang from the same root, rather than Shaolin coming directly from Kalari.

Then, I pointed out indirectly what you said directly, that this was simply the old external = india idea.

My own research give me the opinion that Shaolin received their early martial art training from various visiting military people of the various dynasties (Sui, Tang, Song) and local folk martial artists.

I agree with you completely. I'd also add that there was significant Taoist influence upon Shaolin.

I agree with you completely. I'd also add that there was significant Taoist influence upon Shaolin.
    Yes, indeed, forgot that one. Often a major influence.
    Which came first Shaolin Rou Quan or Daoist Neijia Quan?
    Both have the 13 Gong, both are basically the same movements.

13 = 8 directions + 5 elements (same for both).

Daoists had 5 elements, Buddhists at first had 4 elements (they skipped metal / gold? Or was it Earth? I don't remember which element they were missing. I would guess that it was earth, since Earth was the union of all the other ones. Too alchemical for Buddhists.).

A small news mention

but there's a pic.
    Thursday, 5th November 2009
    Flying without wings

Martial artists will have the opportunity to be trained by the Shaolin monks from China this Sunday during a master class open to the public. The monks, who have already performed in Malta before, are back for another three jaw-dropping shows this weekend. This time, they will be joined by the Kalari fighters who will perform Kalaripayattu, believed to be among the oldest martial art forms in the world.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

another review

Any of you anywhere near Malta?
    New show by the Shaolin Monks comes to Malta
    A new show for all the family by the Shaolin Monks is coming to Malta and for the very first time The Shaolin Monks will be appearing together on the same stage as The Masters of Kalaripayattu, from Kalari India.

Starting today and running through tomorrow and 8 November, live at The Mediterranean Conference Centre, Valletta, Standing Ovations shall make history once again for Maltese entertainment where they shall be bringing over to the Maltese stage, all the way from Kalari India, The Masters of Kalaripayattu.

They shall be performing for the very first time together with the Shaolin Monks from Henan China in Standing Ovation’s next show, The Holy Mountain.

Kalaripayattu is the oldest existing martial art form, dating back more than 2,000 years and is said to be the roots of Karate and Kung Fu, offering a synergy between art, science and medicine. Kalaripayattu is still used today as a strong basis to various therapies, as well as yoga, dance and other exercises used to improve our mental and physical wellbeing.

The Holy Mountain is a new show by The Shaolin Monks which has been touring the four corners of the globe since 2008 selling out in some of the most prestigious arenas and theatres worldwide with an audience of over 2.0 million in over 1,000 shows.

Never has martial arts been shown in such a way with The Holy Mountain being officially recognised as “The world’s most successful martial art show to date.”

The Shaolin Monks were in Malta in May 2008 in a different show The Shaolin Monasteries where The MCC was sold out for all five shows in three days resulting in Standing Ovations having to re-stage the show two months later in July in order to meet demand from both locals and tourists.

For more than 15 years the Shaolin Kung Fu Monks have attracted worldwide attention with their breathtaking shows. In more than 400 performances on four continents in front of an audience of more than five million, the visitors have seen with their own eyes the extra ordinary capabilities of overriding the laws of physics by mere concentration and developing nearly superhuman forces.

Standing Ovations have recently introduced a series of internationally acclaimed and high quality shows to the Maltese Islands and strongly believe that the entertainment business here in Malta should be a strong player for attracting quality tourism for many years to come. Standing ovations have recently staged the first show by the Shaolin Monks The Shaolin Monasteries, as well as Swan Lake on Ice and Masters of Dirt, all of which have proved to be blockbuster shows worldwide and have also attracted thousands of tourists to the Maltese Islands.

The Holy Mountain which is to be staged at the MCC today, tomorrow and on Sunday has so far attracted over 800 tourists alone as well as over 3,000 local quality entertainment seekers and tickets are still selling exceptionally fast with still over seven weeks to go!

The Holy Mountain continues to give the audience cause for thought and encouraging them to believe in the power of their mental strength, the same strength that lives within the monks. It is the strength of the mind which can control the body but which can only be developed by those who are in touch with the truth within themselves and live in internal harmony.

Standing Ovations shall present The Holy Mountain live at The Mediterranean Conference Centre, Valletta, from today until Sunday. For reservations call MCC on 2559-5750/1 or send an email to bookings@mcc.com.mt. MCC Box Office: Today; 10am – 1pm and 5pm – 7pm. Tomorrow; 10am – 1pm.

Gozo Box Office: Call 2155-8266 or 7981-5541.

For further information: either send an email to info@standingovations.com.mt, visit www.holymountaininmalta.com or call helpline, 7955-7988.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips