Thread: Best MA video games thread

Best MA video games thread

Don't know if anyone's done this yet, but what are your favorite MA video games?

No takers...

Ok, well- I really enjoy the new Batman game. It has fairly simple controls for the button masher type, and it's fun to play a game where you're a psuedo ninja who beats up on thugs.

My all time favorite is the Tekken series. Good stuff. I also liked the Neo-Geo stuff from the 90's.

Back in the day- that 2 stick controlled karate fighter was a pretty good game.

So- what are your favs?

used to love 1990's neo geo.

For me: Street Fighter series all the way!

ninja gaiden 2 its pretty tight. pretty bloody though. chopping ninjas arms legs and heads off and all.

there was this old game i played based on chinese MA called jade empire.

there are also those dynasty warrior games, i dont know if they still make them though.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

oh ya there is the ultimate:

Shenmue

the first shenmue was on sega dreamcast, the second was on regular xbox, and now they are finally coming out with 3.

you're the son of a karate master who gets killed because hes wrapped up in some mysterious mystical junk. well its set in japan and its one of those free roaming things. you get a job, learn karate, and fight bad guys as you investigate your fathers murder, the second is set in hong kong as you chase your fathers killer, no idea about the 3rd, they finally after 7 years started making it.

even if you havnt played the first two, if the third is anything like them, its worth trying out if you like fighting video games.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

the new batman game is awesome. the jet li game wasn't bad at all. just took you a couple times to get through a fight sometimes because it was not easy at all.

i liek final fight as the best though
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    the new batman game is awesome.
    word. picked it up this weekend. probably one of the best games ive ever played. definately the best batman title ever put out. the martial arts in this game are super tight, once you get the hang of it, very fluid, varied and just like a comic book.

batstyle for the win.

Yie Ar Kung Fu. It's an old 2D fighter, but was awesome, you had to figure out the weakness of each successive opponent and exploit it to win and get to the next challenger. Buchu ( a fat kinda indian/mongolian brawler), Star, Nuncha, Pole, Chain, Club, Fan, Sword, Tonfa, Blues, and a bunch of little midgets in challenge stages. I used to play it at the arcade at the beach when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9 View Post
    Yie Ar Kung Fu. It's an old 2D fighter, but was awesome, you had to figure out the weakness of each successive opponent and exploit it to win and get to the next challenger. Buchu ( a fat kinda indian/mongolian brawler), Star, Nuncha, Pole, Chain, Club, Fan, Sword, Tonfa, Blues, and a bunch of little midgets in challenge stages. I used to play it at the arcade at the beach when I was a kid.
    they have this game on xbox live arcade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    oh ya there is the ultimate:

Shenmue

the first shenmue was on sega dreamcast, the second was on regular xbox, and now they are finally coming out with 3.

you're the son of a karate master who gets killed because hes wrapped up in some mysterious mystical junk. well its set in japan and its one of those free roaming things. you get a job, learn karate, and fight bad guys as you investigate your fathers murder, the second is set in hong kong as you chase your fathers killer, no idea about the 3rd, they finally after 7 years started making it.

even if you havnt played the first two, if the third is anything like them, its worth trying out if you like fighting video games.
    the 2nd one was great, lots of real specific kung fu talk too, xing yi, tiger swallow, chen tai ji, iron palm, iron head. great game!

Quote Originally Posted by jason. View Post
    the 2nd one was great, lots of real specific kung fu talk too, xing yi, tiger swallow, chen tai ji, iron palm, iron head. great game!
    ya. the second one blew me away. i loved the cultural immersion of the series. probably one of the best aspects of the game, and one you dont see in many other games.

i was pleased to hear that the third is in production. the sad part is most gamers wont know the full story.

shenmue was one, if not the, first modern games to incorporate gamer interaction during cutscenes via the timed buttons to further the scene.

Sifu | Sloclap | Official Reveal Trailer | PS4, PS5 & PC

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Sifu | Sloclap | Release Date Trailer | PS4, PS5 & PC

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by jason. View Post
    used to love 1990's neo geo.

For me: Street Fighter series all the way!
    never tired playing this one.

ahhhhhh miss the good ol'days where me and my friends play this.

Sifu by Sloclap soon to be live-action

This Sifu videogame needs its own indie thread apart from Best-MA-video-games-thread. The problem is Sifu is an impossible term to search here, but Slocap is the way.

Story Kitchen Teams With Gaming Company Sloclap To Adapt Popular Video Game ‘SIFU’ Into Live-Action Feature
    By Justin Kroll
    Senior Film Reporter
    @krolljvar

December 2, 2022 11:05am

Kovert PR
    EXCLUSIVE: Following a competitive pursuit, Story Kitchen, has partnered with Sloclap to adapt their hot new hit videogame, SIFU, into a Live-Action feature film with Story Kitchen partner Derek Kolstad adapting the script.

Story Kitchen’s Dmitri M. Johnson will produce alongside Mike Goldberg, Kolstad, Dan Jevons and Timothy I. Stevenson. Jeff Ludwig will also be producing alongside Story Kitchen, formerly a VP for Ritchie/Wigram Productions, before launching his own shingle, The Menagerie.

Based on the videogame developed & published by Sloclap,, the game tells a story of revenge set in modern-day China. It follows the student of a martial arts school’s master (Sifu) as he seeks to avenge the murder of his mentor. The twist, however, is that thanks to a magical talisman, each time our hero dies, he’s resurrected, but the price paid is that he ages with every use. And should he become too old too fast, his death shall become permanent, and his quest unfulfilled. It’s being described as JOHN WICK meets M. Night Shyamalan’s OLD.

Within the first three weeks of the game’s release, SIFU sold over 1MM games; and is separately nominated for ‘Best Independent Game,’ ‘Best Fighting Game,’ and ‘Best Action Game’ for the upcoming ‘The Game Awards’ (December 8th, 2022).

Best known for creating the cultural phenomenon of John Wick, Kolstad is currently in post-production for the fourth John Wick film, as well as a limited TV series for Starz, The Continental. This now iconic IP includes multiple Videogames, Graphic Novels, Toys, and a recently completed Roller Coaster in Dubai. Outside of the ‘Wick Universe,’ and after Co-EP’ing Marvel’s Falcon and the Winter Soldier for Disney+, Kolstad turned his attention to Ubisoft’s Splinter Cell adaptation for Netflix (which quickly secured a two-season order and is currently in production) as well as a sequel to Universal Pictures’ 2021 theatrically released Nobody franchise, starring Bob Odenkirk.

Johnson’s producing credits include Sonic The Hedgehog and Tomb Raider.

Story Kitchen is repped by APA, Cowan, DeBaets, Abrahams & Sheppard LLP and Behr Abramson Levy Johnson. Derek Kolstad is repped by APA, Circle of Confusion and Behr Abramson Levy Johnson. Jeff Ludwig is repped by Gersh.

Ludwig currently has the videogame adaptation, Alan Wake, set up at the AMC Network.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips