Thread: Quick Question for School Owners ONLY

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Quick Question for School Owners ONLY

if a family wants to sign up, say, four members. How do you price it?
    Some have the second family member 10-20 percent off, thethird 50 percent, etc.
    There is a fine line between offering a savings, and not making any money.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I charge $55/month.
    Two people is $100 ($50 each)
    Three or more people is $45 each.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Well there is two ways to this.
    1st give a 10 or 20% savings off there total bill. (If you have a job outside the school then you only need to pay the bills of the school. So charge accordingly) <- the smart way to go!

2nd Get or have a wife that pays all your bills so you can have the money from the school. Sad to say, but this is what most MAists do, until they hit it big time. Then it goes to their head because they think they're someone. Then they need to have pics of famous people all over there website and school to help them with there ego.

~Jason
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

I offer 10% off for each additional family member.

Mostly only applied when a family has two kids enrolling together.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Fen View Post
    Then they need to have pics of famous people all over there website and school to help them with there ego.

~Jason
    cool. I already have pics of me with Steve Vai, Billy Squier,and Gary Wright.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

sweet then you are on the right track! lol

~Jason

We charge $ 75/month for the first person, $ 35/month for each additional family member. We can generally work out a deal with larger families. Our goal is to grow a successful club, not make money. We've helped a lot of kids, and both our adults and kids bring home a lot of medals at competitions.

On the one hand, we need to cover rent, utilities, and insurance, and we like to help out with the cost of tournaments for our kids too, but we don't want anyone to not learn Judo because they can't afford it. It goes against the Spirit of the Art. I'm not sure what you would want to do if the idea is to make money. You have to draw a line somewhere, I guess.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

10% off for second and 20% for a third family member (don't give discounts for friends you'll price yourself right out of business). Cap it at three family members. Meaning even if they bring you 10 family members the price is the same as if it's three. Remember this is still your business treat it like one. If I go to a local pizzeria and buy 10 pies for my son's birthday party should I get a discount for buying in bulk; sure why not, it's good customer service. But should I expect to get pies 7-10 for free? No. The days of starving martial artist are over. As a martial arts instructor you are providing your students with physical fitness and longevity, a healthy self-esteem, better focus and mental stimulation to name just a few. Gyms charge a lot of money for personal training sessions and they usually suck. You're giving much more than that, it's okay to charge a fair price and make a profit.

F.Y.I. the national average cost for martial arts classes is $120 per month; if your charging less than that and you're not teaching out of the YMCA or your house, you probably won't make it. The average school closes in the first three years. If you don't know how to run a business I recommend starting with the idiots guide to starting your own business.

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/B...Edward_Paulson

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    10% off for second and 20% for a third family member (don't give discounts for friends you'll price yourself right out of business). Cap it at three family members. Meaning even if they bring you 10 family members the price is the same as if it's three. Remember this is still your business treat it like one. If I go to a local pizzeria and buy 10 pies for my son's birthday party should I get a discount for buying in bulk; sure why not, it's good customer service. But should I expect to get pies 7-10 for free? No. The days of starving martial artist are over. As a martial arts instructor you are providing your students with physical fitness and longevity, a healthy self-esteem, better focus and mental stimulation to name just a few. Gyms charge a lot of money for personal training sessions and they usually suck. You're giving much more than that, it's okay to charge a fair price and make a profit.

F.Y.I. the national average cost for martial arts classes is $120 per month; if your charging less than that and you're not teaching out of the YMCA or your house, you probably won't make it. The average school closes in the first three years. If you don't know how to run a business I recommend starting with the idiots guide to starting your own business.

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/B...Edward_Paulson

Well put!

~Jason