Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fight Quest (Wing Chun) Opinions?

Yeah...

Wing Chun on Fight Quest makes baby jesus cry

Its just about the worst showing of any of the martial arts they've put on there. It'd of been nice if they'd gone to Gulo, or hit up Alan Orr in the UK, or hit up Robert Chu or Gary Lam in southern california...

Those guys on Fight Quest are nobodies. They should be sent out on a stretcher no matter the Wing Chun school that they walked into. However, I suspect that the Fight Quest guys would fair about as well in most of the Wing Chun School that they walked into. But... When Wing Chunners insist on using training methods that aren't applicable to fighting... these are the results. It all goes out the window when the Wing Chunner realizes that he has no credible way to defend himself.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 09-13-2009 at 09:15 PM.

It is a TV show. Just doing a 5 day training session and then fighting a supposed champion? Ok. Some of the training is rediculous. From running through a rock strown crap ditch to wrestling a water buffalo. They end up barely able to walk with fractures to the feet and ruptured blood vessels and such. Obviously they get paid good for that.
    It is like any other commercial kwoon. Or dojo. They put people to sparring or fighting before they can learn the techniques properly. You don't learn a thing while fighting. You just try to apply what you have learned previously. You don't have time to learn because you are too busy trying to keep your arse from getting kicked.

This show never really does any of the arts much justice other than some free tv time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    It is like any other commercial kwoon. Or dojo. They put people to sparring or fighting before they can learn the techniques properly.
    The people who looked horrible weren't the fight quest guys, it was the wing chun guys.

You don't learn a thing while fighting.
    Thats complete bull****.

You just try to apply what you have learned previously. You don't have time to learn because you are too busy trying to keep your arse from getting kicked.
    The MOST learning is done through DOING. Whether it be learning to play an instrument, a sport, fighting, literally anything.

The idea that you don't learn anything while fighting, that idea is utter trash.

David Petersons name was mentioned on there for helping them out.

i read elsewhere that he put them in touch with some good WSL lineage guys. Fight Quest declined the offer and went to Leung Ting. the rest is history

That was really embarrasing and it proved how just stepping in with chain punches doesn't work against boxing punches.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post

The MOST learning is done through DOING. Whether it be learning to play an instrument, a sport, fighting, literally anything.

The idea that you don't learn anything while fighting, that idea is utter trash.
    If that was entirely true, you could literally take a guy, put the gloves and other gear on and throw him into the ring from the get go. But I'll put my money on a guy whose coach taught him the combinations, footwork, strategy; work them with drills, pad and bag work; sparring drills. The proper foundation needs to be built. And I think that's what Lee Chiang Po is getting at. Those guys on fight quest was not being trained properly.

Jimmy lost on style !!!???

Only watched the first clip and the final fights in the last clip (learned that time saver by watching HUMAN WEAPON)...and was particularly intrigued when the second guy (Jimmy) "lost on style" (the first guy, Jimmy's partner, won his match)...but as I saw it, both of them WON their fights.

Jimmy's fight begins at 4:00 of the last video clip posted, btw. Even though he clearly dominates with his more horizontally thrown "boxing" type chain punches (ie.- think Vitor Belfort knocking out Wanderlai Silva a bunch of years ago)...he was penalized and "lost" the fight because he was not throwing the more conventional vertical fist "wing chun" punches.

My, my, my....

All that said, the fact is that the devastation that any kind of rapid fire, multiple chain punching while pressuring forward and dominating center from close range ("the machine gun") can wreak was apparent here, and that's a good thing; a big contribution that wing chun makes (but not the only contribution) that wing chun makes...to martial arts.

Great close range weapon.

So while ignoring all the hype, hoopla, underlying politics, and limited amounts of actual fighting technique (ie.- they were restarted everytime it went to clinch) that this Fight Quest show on wing chun brought to the table, this was worth seeing, imo.

Thumbs up from this movie critic. Not bad.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 09-14-2009 at 11:50 AM.

I didn't see it and don't have time to watch it, but ma i right to conclude that with a week of training they "won" their matches VS WC guys with more experience ??

on that show generally the final fights are against light weight kids. depends on the culture really and how much face they are afraid of losing.....regarding chinese martial arts...you can guess how much face they want to lose.

the shaolin sanshou was the same way, some young sanshou guy to fight in the end.

now try the Kali episode where the final fights were against seasoned marines.

whole different story then.

all in all ive enjoyed the show. certain episodes are better than others, the Mexico boxing episode for example. these guys you see them training and fighting with are real pro mexican boxers. the real deal.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

They might have actually won their fights, and they might have been given the fights. I rather think that they won. But in some of the cases I would be willing to bet that there were individuals watching the fight there that could have killed them. I suspect that they did not put them with anyone that was a real champion. Now, some of the styles were similar to some of the stuff they had been doing, so they were able to compete well. I just don't see where they could learn anything when most of the time was spent doing ritual and some sort of tree killing or wrestling livestock. Anyone can just stand and punch each other in the chest, but what about style and technique?
    When I was a young man I used to pay young kids to fight behind a big furniture factory. People would bet on them. I would take bets and cover bets and then I paid the fighters. I paid them win or lose, but the winner got a bonus. In a short time I got to see a whole bunch of different fight styles and techniques that you will not see on fight quest. If one had collected all these techniques and put them all into one, you would have a completely different Martial Art worthy of a name of it's own. Which goes to show that you don't have to actually study a martial art to be able to fight. I think that this is exactly what was taking place with the fight quest guys. Both fighters fought by rule, so technique was pretty much ignored.

In video segment three, which I just watched for the first time, there's an interesting light sparring match going on from 4:10 - 5:33

and watch very closely what goes on at 4:40 or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eq_Z...eature=related

What do you notice?

Also pay close attention to what happens for the last 10 seconds or so of the match.

What do you see there?
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 09-15-2009 at 09:39 AM.

First off, that multiple attacker thing was ridiculous.
    What happened after the 4:40 mark is typical of what happens when WC meets western boxing/kick boxing.
    The overhands and hooks tend to wreak havoc with the china punched because of the low elbows of the vertical punch which allows for the "overhanded" strikes to come through, that and the WC guy also keeps his chin up, which is also very common in WC when chain punching.
    The WT guy was lucky it was light contact.