Thread: Hong Jong - Empty Dummy

Hybrid View

Hong Jong - Empty Dummy

Does any one practice the Hong Jong/Air Dummy.

After you learn the Muk Yan Jong form you can also practice it in the air with out a dummy. Does anyone see this as useful or necessary to produce any benefits. If you see any benefits to practicing the Air Dummy/Empty Dumm form let me know?

I see a few videos of the dummy being practice By chinese. But I never seen any westerners practicing the Hong Jong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuASgwTsinE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX_puQ553oo

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...m&hl=en&emb=1#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMWosMEZ4-8
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 09-02-2009 at 09:04 AM.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

If you're a guy that likes forms and likes long sequences, that is again the benefit of solo practice of the Hung Jong. Its an aid to memory and practicing your movements in the air. Chinese like long forms as it helps to discover the full spectrum of movement and possibilities, and would help them remember movements they might otherwise forget.

I guess you can say that is like sex with an imaginary blow up doll.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    I see a few videos of the dummy being practice By chinese. But I never seen any westerners practicing the Hong Jong.
    Hey. I'm the white guy practicing the Air Dummy.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

interesting westerner

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    Hey. I'm the white guy practicing the Air Dummy.
    oh really can I see the video?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

We often have beginning students practice our Cheurn Kiu Sau dummy form in the air when first being introduced to it. With larger class sizes and only 3 dummies, it's also necessary. They usually mimic in the air behing someone using the actual dummy. They can still practice the movements/sequences, angles, fwd. intent, etc without the dummy contact, and it makes it easier for them to transition to the dummy after they have some of the basic the sequence down.

Of course, these same movements are also used directly in our partner training as well. The solo work seems to help them learn the initial movements and angles without the added fear/confusion beginners sometimes have with the dummy contact. So, learn the movements in the air a few times, on a partner and on the dummy and repeat. Each one reinforces the next and gives better understanding of the other two.

I'm not chinese, and not sure about the whole "love long forms" or blow up doll thing, but it seems like a logical training progression to me
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 09-02-2009 at 01:40 PM.

But I never seen any westerners practicing the Hong Jong.
    You need to get out more. I've been practicing it for over 20 years.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    You need to get out more. I've been practicing it for over 20 years.
    You beat me to it Andrew.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr