Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clf one armed form

so what was the influence or origin of the one armed CLF form? It is markedly different from the hung fut or hak fu moon ones I have seen, which I hoped it would be. It is easily discernable as CLF. Is it one of the more well known CLF forms done with just one hand?

We don't have it in our lineage and I haven't seen this set much but I doubt it has the history of hung fut's version. Didn't Bak Mo Chui teach people that were disabled thus creating Sei Dai Bai Kuen (4 cripples) and dok bei kuen (one-arm form)?

the hungfut dok bei kuen originated as reverence to a general who, while holding a child, fought off attackers and escaped. The set I beleive is primarily fut gar and the core derived from a one armed nun. I am not sure that the nun was a fut gar practicioner, or that the set or techs were just obsorbed by a practitioner that learned from her. I may be confusing it slightly, I will go back over my notes, but I think it's not too far off.

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    I thought you guys were from Chan Koon Pak?
    Chan Koon Pak - Fong Yuk Shu - Chan Hon Heung - Chew Yew Jong - Edmund Ng How Tak
    Are you translating the Hung which we translate as strong as heroic? (I've seen this translation in other systems).
    However, it is true to say that not all branches from King Mui can be identified as Chan family.
    We are, can mean Strong or Heroic

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Mano:

What do you know about this set? Is it unique to your lineage? I know hung fut is rather famous for it but I have never really heard of it in CLF before.
    edmund ng's son made this form himself

Quote Originally Posted by chasincharpchui View Post
    edmund ng's son made this form himself
    chasincharpchui,
    Yip, you've got that right as sifu Edmund is good friends with Sifu man (hungfut) in Glasgow & according to my sources Sifu Edmunds son was going up for lessons in HF to add to his CLF & this was one (only) form to come out of it but he probably learnt other stuff.

cheers
    hakkajai

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9 View Post
    so what was the influence or origin of the one armed CLF form? It is markedly different from the hung fut or hak fu moon ones I have seen, which I hoped it would be. It is easily discernable as CLF. Is it one of the more well known CLF forms done with just one hand?
    I'm very curious as to when and where you've seen our One armed Form?

Very few people have seen our One Armed Form and even fewer in the US. I never knew CLF had a one Arm form. I heard Jow Ga has one but sources have said it's either Hung Fut's or ours being taught within some Jow Ga lineages.

This set looks like a remake of the Hung Kam Pui lineage of hung Fut's one arm form.

I have ours on video, but would have to ask my sifu before I can post it... since it's him doing the form at a private gathering.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9 View Post
    the hungfut dok bei kuen originated as reverence to a general who, while holding a child, fought off attackers and escaped. The set I beleive is primarily fut gar and the core derived from a one armed nun. I am not sure that the nun was a fut gar practicioner, or that the set or techs were just obsorbed by a practitioner that learned from her. I may be confusing it slightly, I will go back over my notes, but I think it's not too far off.

It's strange, I've seen both the Tai Yim and the Hung Kam Pui one armed forms and there nothing alike... But then again neither looks like ours either. Ours is still taught the same way.... once you learn the form you can only spar with one arm from now on anytime you spar.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

I haven't learned the form, and they still make me fight one handed
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    I haven't learned the form, and they still make me fight one handed

Good practice, but it suxs if you're sparring someone pretty good that still has both hands and feet to spar with. lol

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Blog Entries
    I've been practicing one armed fighting for many years now.....i've even sparred with sifu T. Dunwood's students using one arm in the past.

But, I got one for you that i've very rarely ever seen. Professor Lau Bun taught my Sigung Jew Leong a Hand Cuff form, or with your hands bound. we use hand cuffs today.

Does anyone here have a hand cuff form?

here's an aikido form using hand cuffs....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLp2uaP8-TI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=480r15i6yDc
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 09-16-2009 at 10:13 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    I've been practicing one armed fighting for many years now.....i've even sparred with sifu T. Dunwood's students using one arm in the past.

But, I got one for you that i've very rarely ever seen. Professor Lau Bun taught my Sigung Jew Leong a Hand Cuff form, or with your hands bound. we use hand cuffs today.

Does here have a hand cuff form?

here's an aikido form using hand cuffs....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLp2uaP8-TI

I posted pics here about 4-5 yrs ago of our hand cuff form. I have the pics here somewhere just have to find them. The pics are from the 70's and shows the old wooden Chinese hand cuffs.

Jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Blog Entries
    oh very cool....pls do.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

The handcuff or bounded hands form goes way back to the Outlaws of the Marsh story. I believe the set is generally called Wu Song Breaks Manacles and refers to Wu Song fighting while being bound. Tai Sing Pek Kwar has this set (comes from the Pek Kwar portion).

I have not seen the Hak Fu Mun one arm set. I have seen a video montage of someone doing black tiger, the name was Chai/Tsai/Chao? part of one clip had him doing one arm techs, in a horse stance, the bit I saw was remarkably similar to how a few HF forms I know start somewhat. I ran into it while perusing links put up from one of the videos SPJ put up some time ago. THe site is chinese, so I don't know for sure that it is Hak Fu Mun. The caption said black tiger so I assumed it was since I remember you revealing Hak Fu Mun has a one arm form some years back.

I think the versions of the different HF branches I have seen are fairly similar. A few of the tech combos look relatively the same, although I don't know the set and it's nuances.
    It is entirely possible, and maybe probable that Bok Mo Jiu taught Hung Keung Seng and others who learned the set, including his sons, different from one another. If so, it would be unfortunate in terms of consistency and exact order of techniques, but lends to an interesting broader exploration of the similarities and a potential sharing of the differences that can give all of us greater insight into Hung Fut and more generally any system that incorporates one arm sets.