Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Haywire starring Gina Carano

lol

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The only real and meaningful question that matter is:
    Clean shaven?
    Natural bush?
    Landing strip?
    shaped to suit?
    Betcha Gene knows! Being a smooth talk'n writer n all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    lol

I could look at that all day.

Yeah, that truly is a work of art !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

If only...

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Betcha Gene knows! Being a smooth talk'n writer n all.
    Dude, if I had that kind of hustla fu, you think I'd be here posting this drivel to y'all?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

lol

Now that's a MANwhich!!! I need some alone time right about now...
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Can't keep up with all the Gina interviews

But this one struck me as very amusing.
    Gina Carano interview: Haywire, The Expendables 3, Star Wars and MMA
    Matt Edwards

Matt talks to MMA star Gina Carano about Haywire, The Expendables 3, and whether she wanted to punch Ewan McGregor in the face...

Published on Jan 30, 2012

I nervously anticipated my interview with Gina Carano. I love action films and getting the chance to talk to a rising star from this genre would have been exciting enough, but I’ve been a fan of Carano as an MMA fighter for years now.

My nerves, then, were primarily due to excitement, but there were a couple of other things that were putting me on edge.

Someone whose day job is to punch people in the face might not make the friendliest interview subject, I considered. Not to mention that I’m an idiot who likes to ask silly questions, questions which someone who is well versed in throat-choking might not appreciate being asked. I felt physically safe, at least, as we’d be separated by a quite sizable ocean when the interview took place, but still.

My other concern was with myself. Den of Geek is a film and TV site and so would be not, I suspect, be pleased if I came back to them with an enthusiastic and whimsical chat about violent sports. I would have to stick to the subject of film, no matter how much I wanted to talk to her about her fight career.

Fortunately for the site, I just about managed to stay on subject, and fortunately for me, Gina Carano is lovely. This is the conversation we had.

My understanding of Haywire is that Steven Soderbergh saw you fighting on television and then approached you.

Yeah, he saw me fighting on CBS. After I lost my fight to Cyborg he came out on a train from LA to San Diego and had a little lunch with me. We had talked and then at the end of the lunch he was like “look, I wanna do a film with you. There’s no actors and there’s no script, there’s no studio attached to it, I just wanted to meet with you and see if you’d be interested in anything like that” and I was just like...I said ‘yes’!

You couldn’t ask for a better director to come to you that would want to build a film around you than Soderbergh. Were you familiar with his films?

Yeah, I was with his films, I just didn’t know who he was. Really I didn’t know what it was that was involved with making films. I didn’t know that the director is the guy with the vision. I just never thought about it, I guess. But it was definitely a Film 101 school for me, all of Haywire.

So you didn’t pick up any of that stuff on Blood And Bone, then?

No. Blood And Bone was a day that I got offered a couple of hundred or something like that to go in for six hours and do a fight scene. I think I had one line.

Yeah, I saw it.

Oh, you saw it?

I have to watch a lot of the MMA straight-to-video films*.

That’s not something that would have ever, ever prepared me for an experience like Haywire. So I really consider Haywire my genuine first acting experience.

What did you have to do to prepare for the role? Usually I would expect an actor in a film like this to have to do a lot of combat training, but I’m guessing you didn’t have to.

Training as far as the acting goes?

Well, acting training or whatever preparation you felt you had to do.

Steven didn’t want to me to go with an acting coach because he didn’t want someone to kind of get in my mind and confuse me. I think what he likes about working with non-actors is the authenticity that they bring to the screen and so, what he did, though, is me put me with an ex-Mossad, who pretty much brainwashed me.

So I spent three hours a day in stunts and three hours a day with this ex-Mossad agent and he put me through boot camp. He taught me entry and exiting a building, clearing a room, he put a GPS on my car, he like, followed me around. He had me stalking people, he had people stalking me. They just put me with a soldier who had never done a film before either. We were just soldier and a fighter thrown together in these unique circumstances and got to know each other’s backgrounds. I think that was the biggest part of my preparation.

That sounds dangerous! That could have backfired horribly.

(Laughs)

I know, right? Playing war games in LA doesn’t sound like a very smart idea.

So, the fight scenes in Haywire are the best fight scenes I’ve seen in a long time**. Did you have any involvement in choreographing them?

Oh yeah. Well, because when I went into the stunt gym me and all the stunt guys in there share the same passion for mixed martial arts, we’ve just always had a different goal at the end. Their goal is to make these fake fight scenes, to bring in every martial art they can that would work, to make most beautiful fight scenes that we can. My goal has always been to learn the techniques of these martial arts to be really effective.

So it was really cool because they respected me as an athlete and they were completely open to sharing what I wanted to do with it. So there’s certain parts of the film where I’m like “Hey, I put that in there! That was my move, that was my idea.”

When you’re doing fight scenes with Ewan McGregor, did you ever start to think about a Star Wars prequel you’d seen recently? Or about Channing Tatum in his film Fighting? You know, ‘I could punch him in the face now and it would be called an accident’.

(Laughter, potentially masking utter horror at the suggestion)

No! Like, on purpose?

Well, you wouldn’t have to tell anyone.

No! I am actually quite the opposite. I don’t really like to hurt people. The only time I really get turned on to hurt someone is when they’re coming at me and something kicks in and I have to do that.

Actually in my fights my Mom was always saying “Why do you have to let them get shots in before you turn it on?” It’s kind of funny. I don’t hit that point until someone’s coming at me and it’s a genuine threat.

I wanted to take care of these actors. If anything, that was my job.

I keep reading, mostly on MMA sites rather than film sites, but I’ve read a rumour that your voice was dubbed in Haywire. Is there anything to this or is it just internet nonsense?

No, actually Steven definitely did. He went into ADR and did some movie magic and completely altered my voice in some way. Him and his editor. So there’s truth to that, and I’m okay with it. I think he would always do things to help the film and he was really looking for Mallory and myself to be two completely different characters. He would obviously only do something like that to help it, which hopefully it did.

Are you going to be going back to MMA?

Umm, you know, I’m starting at the beginning with films, there’s a lot I can learn and there’s a longer career that can be had there. There’s a physicality that’s unique and new that I can bring to films, so I hope I can get the opportunity to do that again. But I haven’t necessarily retired from fighting either. I’m gonna do whatever I have to do to support myself and to keep going. My future’s a little fuzzy. I don’t know what’s supposed to happen next.

What about a Haywire 2? Would you be interested in that? ***

Yeah, this was such a beautiful experience I would definitely love to get more involved in Mallory and do some fun stuff. But that would obviously be up to the studio and Steven. You know, sometimes a film’s just better left where it was. I don’t know. It will be interesting to see. I don’t know what’s supposed to happen after this, I’m just gonna stay positive and keep going forward and hope for the best, you know?

Before they kick me off the line, I’m trying to instigate some kind of movement or campaign to get you and Hulk Hogan in The Expendables 3. Is that something that you’d want to do?

Is there going to be an Expendables 3?

I can’t imagine there not being one. Could Randy Couture get you in?

Yeah, I think Sylvester Stallone was really considering me for one of the roles in Expendables 2, but they needed a girl from China because that’s where they were going to be. They needed a Chinese girl, so I didn’t fit the bill for that one. I’m sure I’m on some people’s radars, especially on the Mixed Martial Arts websites, so just stay positive and put out some good energy for me.

Gina Carano, thank you very much!

Haywire is out in cinemas now.

Follow Den Of Geek on Twitter right here. And be our Facebook chum here.

*I lied here, I’m ashamed to admit. I really wanted to seem cool in front of Gina. Actually, I get to watch a lot of MMA straight-to-video films. I love them.

** I didn’t lie here. The fight scenes in Haywire are insane.

*** Another voice appears on the phone. It’s Gina’s PR, who connected me at the beginning of the call. “We’re gonna have to wrap up” she says, and I’m gripped by panic. I had run out of time and I hadn’t even asked about her work with Hulk Hogan on American Gladiators yet. I scan my remaining questions and pick the most important one, which I hope I might be able to sneak in after this one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

lol

WOW!
    que cosita tan bella!

I saw the movie, and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. While I have mixed feelings about the directing style, and the grainy picture looked like something filmed circa 1976, I think Gina Carano can develop into a very good actress in the future. And the fights were nicely done, too, esp. the hotel room one.

*Edit to add:
    I really thing that she would be perfect to play Wonder Woman. She absolutely has the perfect look for it.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-02-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I saw the movie, and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. While I have mixed feelings about the directing style, and the grainy picture looked like something filmed circa 1976, I think Gina Carano can develop into a very good actress in the future. And the fights were nicely done, too, esp. the hotel room one.

*Edit to add:
    I really thing that she would be perfect to play Wonder Woman. She absolutely has the perfect look for it.
    you do realize her entire voice was dubbed right?

the image was most likely done on purpose since the movie was shot in 4k(4 times the resolution of 1080p hi def and better looking then 3d imo) with the RED camera, im pretty sure soderbergh wanted the image to look that way, which is why they used hawke L lenses, which give that look(just some technical stuff for you guys)
    Last edited by doug maverick; 02-02-2012 at 05:35 PM.

thanks for the technical explanation.

Yeah, I do know that her voice was dubbed in the movie. I still think she could develop and improve as an actress if she studies it.

lol

Anybody else want to be in her triangle? I'd love to be in her guard. She can mount me anytime. I'd let her ground and pound me...

I could do this all day

Thumbs up

lol

That's Jaime Koeppe not Gina Carano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaB9q...feature=colike

Incredible.

Lol i blame google images!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Inaugural Chick Norris recipient

Wed, Feb 8 2012
    Gina Carano to be honored at ActionFest
    By: Sean O'Connell

Hollywoodnews.com: ActionFest has grown in size and stature over the years, attracting action-movie junkies to Asheville, N.C. to celebrate cinema’s general bad-assedness. This year’s event is scheduled for April 12-15, and they’ve just announced a very special guest that will help lure new attendees.

“Haywire” star Gina Carano will be the recipient of the inaugural Chick Norris Award at the 2012 festival. The prize, according to a release, honors the Best Female Action Star of the year, in a play off the attitude, spirit, athleticism and grit of Hollywood legend Chuck Norris, who was awarded ActionFest’s inaugural Lifetime Achievement Award in 2010.

“It is an incredible honor to be included in this event,” said Carano, a fixture of the MMA world who made a successful transition to action movies earlier this year.

“Chuck Norris has always been someone I respect and look up to. Being able to represent martial arts as a woman has been a blessing in my life and I am so intensely grateful to the people who have supported and shared this passion with me,” she continued. 

Said ActionFest co-founder Aaron Norris: “An award to honor the work of women in action films is long overdue, and we’re honored to present the first Chick Norris Award to the astonishing Gina Carano, who I am a huge fan of. She has exploded on the movie scene with the magnificent Haywire. We know from very bruised and reliable sources that she’s as tough as they come—making her the perfect honoree for ActionFest.”

Even Chuck Norris weighed in, saying, “I am honored to have Gina Carano receive this award. My entire career has been blessed because martial arts allowed me to do what I love — make action movies. I cannot think of a better person than Gina for this honor, and I am proud that she is the first to receive this award. I highly respect her martial arts ability and she deserves all her accolades for Haywire. Watch out world, a star is born. A proven fighter and very tough action star is here to stay.”

The 2012 film line up, information about celebrity attendees, and badge sales are upcoming at www.actionfest.com.
    Chick Norris evokes a bad mental image.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips