Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Haywire starring Gina Carano

A review:
    http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/Reviews/H.../19265806.html

rated 3.5 out of 4

The promotion line for Steven Soderbergh's kinetic thriller Haywire is simple and direct: "They left her no choice."

We, on the other hand, do have a choice. We can choose either to see or to avoid this action flick, which involves spies, intrigue, double-crosses and fight-to-the-death combat.

The turn-off is that an amateur actor, Gina Carano, is in the lead role. She plays the "her" who has no choice. She is an American spy forced to go rogue to save her sorry butt. The 29-year-old Texan's acting chops are minimal, although she does have natural charisma in front of the camera.

The turn-on is that Carano -- who is a female mixed martial arts star who may or may not be soon launching a comeback in the octagon -- is the real deal when it comes to the Muay Thai style of kickboxing. When she tackles her co-stars Ewan McGregor, Channing Tatum and Michael Fassbender in Haywire, you instantly understand that Carano can take a blow and can also pulverize an opponent. Rarely have movie fights been this realistic, this devastating, this savage and this mesmerizing.

So the choice really is made for you, assuming you like action flicks: Go and see Haywire. Forgive Carano for her emotional blank slate. She has the physical thing down to perfection.

Right from the opening scenes with Carano vs. Tatum, you know you are in for something different. While the plot is routine and familiar -- Carano is framed by other spies and targeted for extermination -- the overall visceral effect is fascinating. That is because, with its low-tech effects and hard realism, Haywire is the anti-Mission: Impossible. Her character, ex-Marine Mallory Kane, is the anti-Jason Bourne.

So there is nothing slick or fancy about Soderbergh's direction. Nor his cinematography (Soderbergh always shoots his own movies). As the story jumps from Stateside locales to Barcelona and Dublin, you get the feeling that there is grit in the mouth, blood on the fists and dirt on Carano's shoes as she kicks people in the face.

I even like the way the story is told, despite moments of confusion in the screenplay by Lem Dobbs. After her opening action gambit, Carano tells the saga to a total stranger, a total geek, while we watch it unfold in flashbacks. The twist is that, at this point in the story, Carano does not know everything. So we don't either. It's called suspense.

It is wonderful, too, how Soderbergh surrounds Carano with such sterling talent, generous actors who carry her along. Not just McGregor, Tatum and Fassbender but also Antonio Banderas, Michael Douglas and Bill Paxton in strong cameos.

As for Soderbergh himself, he is a wily veteran of filmmaking since his debut film Sex, Lies & Videotape stormed the Cannes Film Festival, winning the Palme d'Or in 1989. He is now rumoured to be retiring from filmmaking. Yet he remains a busy fellow behind the camera, as a director and cinematographer.

So I don't believe the retirement thing at all. He is too good to give up. And this latest kinetic thriller shows that we still need Soderbergh in play because of his curiosity, risk-taking, obvious skill and willingness to mix up genres.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The SF Chronicle review

Form their leading critic, who usually hates everything.
    'Haywire' review: Lowbrow fun from Soderbergh
    Mick LaSalle, Chronicle Movie Critic
    Friday, January 20, 2012

POLITE APPLAUSE Action. Starring Gina Carano, Ewan McGregor and Michael Fassbender. Directed by Steven Soderbergh. (R. 93 minutes. At Bay Area theaters.)

There are people who love movies, and then there are people who love certain movies. And to sort one type of person from the other, you might show them "Haywire," the latest from Steven Soderbergh.

Put simply, the people who love movies don't love them in spite of their vulgarity but because they are vulgar, and obvious, and manipulative, and cheap, and colossally and crazily effective. You don't love opera if you don't get a kick out of fat ladies singing ingenue roles, and you don't love movies if the sight of Gina Carano beating up every guy in sight doesn't make you laugh, get happy and feel as if you're getting your money's worth.

There are many good things to say about Soderbergh, but here is the best thing, the highest praise: He is talented enough to be a snob, but he's not. In between making art films and Major Motion Pictures, he has lent his inspiration to pure-entertainment features, and this latest is nothing more than a tangled revenge saga, in which several powerful people make a mistake and get the wrong woman mad at them.

Until this film, I had never heard of Carano, who was apparently a martial arts champion, though that was yesterday. As of today, she's a movie star. Beautiful in a girl-from-the-neighborhood sort of way, Carano inhabits Soderbergh's elaborate frame with wit, physicality and just a hint of ironic distance, the suggestion of someone who's not overawed by the opportunity or taking herself too seriously.

It starts off quietly, at a roadside diner, and yet something in the first minutes of "Haywire" - it could be the soundtrack, or the caged-animal edginess of Carano's movements, or the way the camera looks around the place, expecting trouble - tells you it won't be quiet for long. Yet even with that warning, when the shift comes from low to high gear, it's a jolt, and a delight, too, because with that you know the movie will not be confined by conventional limits. This is going to get a bit insane.

"Haywire" takes place in a movie world of international intrigue, with people zipping around the globe doing exciting, awful things. Mallory (Carano) works for a private contracting company, doing spy work, providing protection, rescuing hostages, whatever is needed for whoever is paying. Ewan McGregor runs the company. Antonio Banderas is a nefarious mogul who sometimes employs the company. And Michael Douglas (looking reassuringly tan and healthy) plays a U.S. government operative who knows where all the bodies are buried - because he owns the shovel.

Soderbergh elevates Carano in the audience's estimation by placing her in exalted company - Bill Paxton has a brief but strong role as her father, as well. Then he makes use of the various locations and circumstances (Barcelona, Dublin, middle America) to showcase her in a wide range of contexts, from the most rough to the most glamorous. Soderbergh sets out to make Carano into a star, and he does it methodically, like a carpenter making a table.

A "routine assignment" with a British counterpart (Michael Fassbender) goes wildly wrong early in the film, and that becomes the launching point for a film in which Carano is chased through several countries. It's one lively incident after another, presented with imagination and audacity, and yet with time taken for the movie and the viewer to breathe.

Soderbergh knows what he is doing, that he is working in a medium in which Charlie Chaplin kicking a guy in the pants is considered high art. Nothing is too low, not when it's done this well.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The KungFuMagazine.com review

From me, who is usually more generous.

Gina Carano Goes HAYWIRE
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I don't care how crappy a movie this may turn out to be. I want to see Gina Carano tackle Michael Fassbender.

The NPR review

I should note that this film ends perfectly set up for a sequel.

Soderbergh's 'Haywire': A Star Is Born, Fists Flying
    by Ian Buckwalter

Mixed martial arts fighter Gina Carano stars as Mallory Kane, a highly trained covert operative, in a twisty, tautly wrought thriller.

Haywire
    Director: Steven Soderbergh
    Genre: Action
    Running Time: 93 minutes
    Rated R for some violence
    With: Gina Carano, Ewan McGregor, Michael Douglas, Michael Fassbender
    January 19, 2012

Back in the heyday of the pure action movie, you started with the star and worked your way backward toward a plot that played to that star's strengths.

If you had a Schwarzenegger, you crafted a film that required raw power, little agility, and (particularly early in his career) a bare minimum of speech.

Have a Van Damme on your hands? Martial arts action, lots of hand-to-hand combat, and a little winking wit.

Gymnastics champion Kurt Thomas is your star? Put him in white warm-up pants and have him pommel-horse the bad guys into submission.

So when director Steven Soderbergh caught mixed martial arts fighter Gina Carano on TV by chance one night — and saw in her the sort of charisma and physical talent of a great action hero — the seed of Haywire was planted just like that. This is a film built around its star, just as surely as any of its cheesier '80s forebears.

Soderbergh, who has a long history of working well with non-actors in his films, took the fighter he saw on screen, and along with screenwriter Lem Dobbs (who also penned Soderbergh's Kafka and The Limey), created a celluloid persona that reflected what he saw in her already: a tough, self-assured and prodigiously talented physical performer. He just made her a mercenary doing black-ops work for the government rather than a cage fighter.

The genesis story might be all '80s, but Soderbergh reaches back further for the plot, which feels more like a twisty, contemplative '60s spy thriller than a pure action showcase.

Carano's Mallory starts the film already on the run, and the first half of the film reveals a globe-hopping knot of international intrigue that takes her from Barcelona to San Diego to Dublin — first on a government job set up by her handler Kenneth (an impressively conniving Ewan McGregor), then on her own after a series of double-crosses leaves her ducking into shadows and scrambling across rooftops.

The high-level motivations of that plot don't seem to interest Soderbergh much. As the puppetmasters (McGregor, Michael Douglas, Antonio Banderas) move the pieces (Michael Fassbender, Mathieu Kassovitz, Channing Tatum) into position, they talk in cloaked language that feels vaguely authentic without really meaning much.

But then understanding entirely what's happening isn't really necessary, because much of that jargon-heavy complexity is really a decoy — a device supporting the first-act notion that Haywire is a complicated machine in the mold of Ocean's Eleven. (That film's composer, David Holmes, heightens that perception with the same sort of jaunty, jazzy lounge music that defined Ocean's.) In reality, it'll turn out to be a deft, single-minded revenge story that shares DNA with the thoughtful, darkly funny The Limey.

As with any great action movie, what we're really here to see is the star showing off whatever skills got them on screen to begin with. And Haywire never disappoints.

Soderbergh makes two critical decisions in the action showcases of the film: First, he drops the music out entirely whenever a fight happens. He's savvy enough to know that you don't need to manipulate the audience's emotions with music when you can just use the blunt-force impact of fists meeting faces and bodies crushing furniture.

Secondly, he doesn't cheat reality with close-ups and disorienting quick-cuts. He lets Carrano's acrobatic talents play out in wide shots that are a less fantastical equivalent to the balletic beauty of Asian martial-arts movies. He gives each a unique tone and setting, all leading up to a multiple-angle, brilliantly edited masterpiece of a fight on a deserted beach that deserves to be enshrined in an action-movie hall of fame.

Some might say that Soderbergh doesn't give Carano much to do, but the fact is that he gives her only exactly what the movie needs: a stone-faced, magnetic physical presence with singular purpose and laserlike focus. Carano's got an all-star cast of talented actors around her to carry the dramatic load; that leaves her to perfectly execute the part that was created for her. To see what she's capable of here is to witness the birth of the next great action hero. (Recommended)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gina on Coco

Follow the link for a vid clip. Coco is totally on point with his interview.
    Jan 20, 2012
    Gina Carano of 'Haywire' says cagefighting is like sex
    By Tom Weir, USA TODAY
    Updated 1h 38m ago

By Frazer Harrison, Getty Images

Despite the MMA skills that make her a virtual lethal weapon, Gina Carano was a little nervous while appearing on Conan O'Brien last night to promote her Haywire action movie.

She said she would "rather get punched in the face" than be interviewed on TV. She also confessed she got into martial arts at a time when she was downing 40-ounce beers and a trainer looked at her and said, "Oh, baby, you're chubby. You really need to lose some weight."

Conan got to the good stuff fairly quickly, reminding Carano that she has likened cagefighting to sex, and saying, "I want to know why that's true, in great detail."

Carano's G-rated response: "If you think about it, it's a very real interaction between two human beings, and it's like an energy. You have a real energy really, and I have an energy, an energy that nobody else is going to share."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene,
    I liked your article on the movie. I'm planning to go see it, and I rarely go to movie theaters anymore.

I would imagine that Gina, if she chooses to pursue acting, can become the first(?) American mainstream female action star. I'm not counting, say, Angelina Jolie, because she's an actress who sometimes plays action roles, as opposed to it being her specialty.

As for why the guys haven't had the same luck in securing any lead roles in major theatrical films, some of it may come down to luck, but being a great fighter doesn't necessarily equal movie star power. A great example (pre-MMA) was Joe Lewis. He was an awesome fighter, and he also had the looks, but he did not work so well onscreen. And sometimes those who, at the outset, may seem the most unlikely (examples: Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris) go on to stardom (in JC's case, superstardom). Gina also has the advantage that, unlike in Asian cinema, female action stars are still a rarety in American movies.

i doubt it...maybe if she really works hard at acting..her entire performance was dubbed.

flopped!!! 9mil opening weekend.

the weekend went to underworld and redtails. redtails waay outperformed estimates, thanks to a grass roots campaign from george lucas and black celebs and media outlets to promote all black movies that dont involve a black man in a dress..

underworld was in 3d so that accounts for it sales...this is the type of film you want to see in 3d to be honest all the creatures and action and explosions. worth the extra bucks.

haywire while they promoted the crap out of it had a genuine martial artist(although her voice was dubbed) and a high profile cast...but i guess people are done with soderberg films...i know i am.

The reviews are okay

I think Gina still has a chance for big screen stardom as an action star, never mind the voice dubbing. It's not like martial arts stars have had the best representation with dubbing in the past. That opens up a whole other can of worms, even when you factor out the language and accents.

The Soderbergh halo is pretty amusing. Critics love him despite his mediocrity.

Martial arts superstar Gina Carano wins accolade for debut movie
    Posted by Online on Jan 24th, 2012

LOS ANGELES (AP) *- Mixed martial arts superstar Gina Carano is knocking out the critics, with her film debut, “Haywire,” earning strong reviews in its opening weekend.

Carano stars in director Steven Soderbergh’s action thriller as a special-ops agent trying to figure out who double-crossed her after a secret mission in Barcelona. AP Movie Critic Christy Lemire gave it three stars out of four, calling Soderbergh’s film: “zippy, hugely entertaining and well-crafted as always (since he once again serves as his own cinematographer and editor), but not one of his more important films in the broad scheme of things.”

Here’s a look at how these movies fared on the top review websites as of Friday afternoon. Each score is the percentage of positive reviews for the film: — “Miss Bala”: Metacritic, 82; Movie Review Intelligence: 87.8; Rotten Tomatoes, 89. Average: 86.3.

— “Haywire”: Metacritic, 67; Movie Review Intelligence, 69.8; Rotten Tomatoes, 83. Average: 73.3.

— “Underworld Awakening”: Metacritic, 59; Movie Review Intelligence: 40.4; Rotten Tomatoes, 40; Average: 46.5.

— “Red Tails”: Metacritic, 45; Movie Review Intelligence: 47.8; Rotten Tomatoes, 33. Average: 41.9.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So I saw this movie the other night.

I have to say that it's easily one of the worst movies i've seen in a long time. Absolutely terrible. And I went into it with low expectations.

Actually can't say enough bad things about it.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I think Gina still has a chance for big screen stardom as an action star, never mind the voice dubbing. It's not like martial arts stars have had the best representation with dubbing in the past. That opens up a whole other can of worms, even when you factor out the language and accents.

The Soderbergh halo is pretty amusing. Critics love him despite his mediocrity.
    the village voice(largest circulated free paper in nyc co founded by norman mailer) gave it a glowing review and they are usually harsh on action films..they didnt even give redtails a review at all. nor underworld. i dont understand the love with soderbergh i really dont get it.

Maybe it's more about who Soderbergh knows than the level of his movies?

Such is Hollywood

Just look at the Oscar noms. Never mind, I'll post up the relevant ones right now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Maybe critics enjoy movies that don't resort to technological gimmicks like 70mm 3d blah blah blah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?