Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which knuckles do I punch with

Knuckleberry finn

Quote Originally Posted by Facepalm View Post
    So Ive heard that you should punch with the first two knuckles because they are the largest and the bones extend into your forearm.

Ive also heard you should punch with the last three knuckles because they extend into your forearm.

Which one is it guys.
    Fundamentally speaking anyway, using your fists to strike out in defence is going to be a subjective matter. The options that would become available to hit may be limbs, parts of the torso, the head.
    Your striking techniques change accordingly. They have to, unless of course you truely have conditioned hands -- you have soaked them in vinegar, etc.
    If those hands of yours aren't conditioned, then a multitude of strikes using different areas of the hand are an option, unless you don't mind injuring your hands as would happen in repititive blows of the same technique to the head.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I throw my hook with a vertical fist. This way, it ensures that I am always landing with my fist, wrist and knuckles aligned to my radius and ulna. If you have a taped, wrapped, gloved hand, for sport fighting, it may not be as crucial, but in bare-knuckle fighting, it most certainly is.
    Its still very common in boxing, to throw it like that, glove or no glove.

Anyways, back to the original question. People say this, people say that. If you're throwing your punch with enough force at a heavy bag or whatnot, you can figure it out for yourself. Hurt = Bad. Doesn't hurt = Good. If its doing damage, you should feel it, just like you'll feel it if your wrist isn't straight and you land a big bomb on the bag or mitt. Ouch. Yeah I learned really quick how to throw my hook after going home with extreme pain in my wrists.

Of course, if all you do is punch the air, it doesn't really matter what knuckle you punch with, you're gonna get your ass kicked anyway
    Last edited by AdrianK; 09-12-2009 at 03:36 AM.

I busted my wrist twice learning Hsing-I. It increased my punching power tremendously but I didn't use wraps and didn't have all this down the way I do now.... though I was fired up hitting the bag in my house the other day and I was going one way, the bag the other, and I slipped off a wide hook and my wrist bent kind of funny. No injury. No pain. Got lucky. The jiu-jitz helps with that, though.

I use the common index+middle knuckle punch, but most of the impact with the middle knuckle.

oh i forgot to mention if your gonna punch with the first two knuckles60 percent of the impact should be with the first knuckles and forty on the second

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

I'm slow so I have to ask: you're fu(king kidding right?

whos joking?

i think he meant the contact distribution of the knuckles you posted.

im assuming that you mean when you're drilling punches on a makiwara or something, because trying to be that precice when your in the middle of a fight isnt really a priority, or realistic. i mean i suppose if thats how you drill your punches, then in a fight your going to fall back on your structure and technique, but all of the variances in play are going to make it imperfect, by nature.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I miss the LSD-laced drinks.... it's been a long time.

you dont have to think about it when your in the middle of a fight you hit the makiwara so many times the correct way its just the way you naturally punch while you spar or hit the heavy bag
    after a few months of hard every day conditioning ive never punched someone or the heavy bag with any thing other than the first two knuckles it just becomes automatic
    the general 60/40 is excepted in all major karate styles as the prefered way to strike

Full Fist

Not sure if it helps or if i will subject myself to ridicule, but my personal experience is to aim to hit with the ENTIRE fist. As in all 8 knuckles. The fist is tense in such a way as to be square, not so tense as to make the first two knuckles protrude. When you punch in this way the middle knuckle is largest and will take the brunt of the impact.

Hitting CURVED BONE such as the face causes ones hand to slip, I defy anyone in the heat of the moment to aim accurately using a specific knuckle. Concentrate on keeping a solid shape with the wrist and fist is good enough.

Try Wrapping a BOWLING BALL in rags, then punch it. You will see the difference in punching a skull when compared to punching a bag. Plus you have to take into account the speed and ease of movement of a persons head.

Stabbing someone in the face with a knife will not knock them out. Hitting with one knuckle would cause a lot of pain, but generally i think a dizzying blunt attack would be preferable. Unless off course you are more intent on mutilation than simply defending yourself.

the idea with punching with only two is a smaller area of impact is more painfull than the whole hand or all the kuckles
    my first two on each hand are also extremely enlarged as well so is hard not to hit with them
    and generally its prefered to attack the body since karate guys are body shotters