Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Discipleship

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    i'll rape a squirrle before learning from him.
    funny that you mention that.......form #86 is basically that.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Last edited by Violent Designs; 04-23-2011 at 03:16 PM.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Hermetics, Gung-Fu and a Mason?
    Your knowledge knows no bounds, sir!
    ...I forgot to add...same to you and likewise, I'm sure
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If it is a traditional relationship then it is a vanishing power art refining highly admirable men.

But, unfortunately Gene is right about the "all or nothing" state of it. If you see it advertised, run away. If it is offered to you honorably by one who can truly offer you something, then consider the valuue and stay - if it has value to you.

So far, we only teach for members here and there is so much to learn that the relationship, where it exists is highly beneficial - but some people remain highly independent and just "touch base" with a senior. I think if you have a general custom of austere independence, not only do you leave individual seniors or masters the liberty to select the style of rapport they see is most beneficial for each person, you allow students to learn and function in the level and way that affords them the most benefit.

If you (teachers/masters) are supposed to replace yourself before you die, then at least one such relationship is going to be a part of your experience. I do know master Don was (very proud) pleased with his "Houston black belts" which is an example of multiple disciples.

I was in that relationship, though independence was part of Mater Don's philosophy. It was not the same pale as perhaps a zen buddhist one might be. I was also twelve at that time and five of the older students also trained and guided me in various degrees.
    (that was 35 years ago now - master Don is in Colorado and I am in Arkansas but going out there later this year to get my celestial pearls and lumps...)

While it was a tightly knit school to me, only some of us were there a lot of the time and the rest came at scheduled lesson and workout times. The format was open, allowing that core student group to form naturally around one or more instructors. It seemed much better for those of us who did. Being around "off schedule" involved us in many more of master's activities and teachings as well as keeping the school.

It is the disciples who are most likely to retain the master's teachings as they received them and style thier schools on the same essential priorities.
    In Kung Fu, I don't know how you can get to black belt and not, ipso facto, be a disciple of the teacher who was able to really impart skill and awareness at that level - but just my perspective.

Real masters have much broader knowledge and skills to impart and are like treasures, the more so that they can teach. That really seems to strengthen the combat part of thier Kung Fu.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

In the May+June 2018 issue

Discipleship Ceremony
    The Promise of Continuity and Longevity of a Traditional Kung Fu

By Reza Momenan and Sarah Parker

May+June 2018
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Disciple Acceptance Ceremony for Master Bryant Fong

Last night, Gigi and I were honored to be witnesses at Sifu Bryant Fong's Disciple Acceptance ceremony. He accepted 13 indoor and 1 outdoor disciple.

I just posted a Disciple Acceptance Ceremony for Master Bryant Fong album on our facebook page.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest free web article offering

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips