Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Publishing a martial arts book??

publishing

I would not use Paul Crompton in a Million years
    Kune Belay Sau

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Ying Home View Post
    I would not use Paul Crompton in a Million years
    care to elaborate?

I have several ebooks that I sell and I use a program that will prevent people from emailing it to friends. They pay you, and you email it to them. They can not email it to anyone. It is coded from there on out. They have to come to his house and read it off his computer. If you allowed him to print it, he will not pass it around to many people. If you have it out there where people know about it you can make some seriously nasty money. Have you ever looked to see how many people access these gung fu sites on utube and other sites on the internet? There is a huge market for this stuff. I used to print and make up leather bound as well as paper back books, made a lot of bucks doing that too. But, it is a lot of work and I just don't see doing that as I am seriously retired now. Ebooks would be the best way to go. On the other hand, thousands of $20 books is a lot more than a hand full of $40 books now and then. And they do all the work. You need to build a web site and link it to just about everything gung fu. You will sell some books. That would be Books on demand. Some of them will print the product, bind it, and then drop ship to your customer with your company name and address on it. The customer pays up first, and you pay up when you order the books. They print and ship and you never do anything but go to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I have several ebooks that I sell and I use a program that will prevent people from emailing it to friends. They pay you, and you email it to them. They can not email it to anyone. It is coded from there on out. They have to come to his house and read it off his computer.
    Can you tell me more about this?

I have seen programs that will save them as .pdfs with unique passwords, BUT if you send someone the file and your unique password (usually included with the main file in a .zip on torrent sites) then they can still open it. You have something that locks it specifically to one computer???

Tell me more
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

^ bump for answers to those questions

I suppose you could always encrypt the PDFs using public key certificates.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I have seen programs that will save them as .pdfs with unique passwords, BUT if you send someone the file and your unique password (usually included with the main file in a .zip on torrent sites) then they can still open it. You have something that locks it specifically to one computer???

Tell me more

Mine is called Swiftbook, by Guru Creations. I think I paid like $17 for it. I have sent the file in email, and it arrives like an attachment. You can open it, but you can not send it to anyone else. It is at the end of the road. I have the ability to send it to people. I do not use a download site or such, but will send it when I have conformation of payment. I just attach and send to the email address.
    I have copied books, and written books and have made ebooks of them. I used to make a lot of money doing this sort of thing, but lately I have pretty much lost interest in doing it. I had one little booklet that I sold year after year that brought in like 8 grand a year. You make up a bunch of these and you just keep it advertised and or on a web site, linked to anything that even resembles it. You will make money. By bunch, I mean different ebooks. The more you can sell the more bucks you can make. I have an easy 50 grand flowing through my bank account every year, and I never really did much work in producing them. Some are public domain now, and anyone can do them. Just do your own book and put it out there. In looking at the utube numbers it shows millions of people to be interested in what you have to sell.

Mine is called Swiftbook, by Guru Creations. I think I paid like $17 for it. I have sent the file in email, and it arrives like an attachment. You can open it, but you can not send it to anyone else. It is at the end of the road. I have the ability to send it to people. I do not use a download site or such, but will send it when I have conformation of payment. I just attach and send to the email address.
    I have copied books, and written books and have made ebooks of them. I used to make a lot of money doing this sort of thing, but lately I have pretty much lost interest in doing it. I had one little booklet that I sold year after year that brought in like 8 grand a year. You make up a bunch of these and you just keep it advertised and or on a web site, linked to anything that even resembles it. You will make money. By bunch, I mean different ebooks. The more you can sell the more bucks you can make. I have an easy 50 grand flowing through my bank account every year, and I never really did much work in producing them. Some are public domain now, and anyone can do them. Just do your own book and put it out there. In looking at the utube numbers it shows millions of people to be interested in what you have to sell.
    Hello. Do you have a link for this? I looked up Swiftbook and Guru Creations, but didn't find what you describe here. Thanks!
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Tell me more
    It's a pretty heady discussion. Best just to use something like this if you aren't very proficient with creating your own certificates.

http://www.aloaha.com/wi-software-en...ilecrypter.php
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I have several ebooks that I sell and I use a program that will prevent people from emailing it to friends. They pay you, and you email it to them. They can not email it to anyone. It is coded from there on out. They have to come to his house and read it off his computer. If you allowed him to print it, he will not pass it around to many people. If you have it out there where people know about it you can make some seriously nasty money. Have you ever looked to see how many people access these gung fu sites on utube and other sites on the internet? There is a huge market for this stuff. I used to print and make up leather bound as well as paper back books, made a lot of bucks doing that too. But, it is a lot of work and I just don't see doing that as I am seriously retired now. Ebooks would be the best way to go. On the other hand, thousands of $20 books is a lot more than a hand full of $40 books now and then. And they do all the work. You need to build a web site and link it to just about everything gung fu. You will sell some books. That would be Books on demand. Some of them will print the product, bind it, and then drop ship to your customer with your company name and address on it. The customer pays up first, and you pay up when you order the books. They print and ship and you never do anything but go to the bank.
    I'd like to check out your books for purchase, can you please PM the web address for your ebooks? thanks!

I think most if not all publisher will offer setting up e-books for download.

the sales usually 100% go to the authors. since there is only one time set up cost.

the paper printed books, on the other hand, the author may set the prices and royalty precentage yourself (self publishing route)

there is a base of the cost, each time the book is printed on paper.

you would add your royalty on top of the base to become the sale price.

however, you want to set the price low for your readers, so more people buy your books.

however, chinese martial arts books are considered special interests books.

meaning they are specialty items, and not that many people will be buying them.

so you may want to set the sale price a bit higher to cover some your publishing costs and on going promotion or ads dollar/cost--

--

By bunch, I mean different ebooks. The more you can sell the more bucks you can make. I have an easy 50 grand flowing through my bank account every year, and I never really did much work in producing them. Some are public domain now, and anyone can do them. Just do your own book and put it out there. In looking at the utube numbers it shows millions of people to be interested in what you have to sell.
    You mean like the bizop "how I made $2,000,000 in a week with my super secret blogging technique" ebooks that people sell on Clickbank?

Or do you mean something substantial that actually gives value to the customer?

I'm curious how this works. Why can't they just send the entire file to someone else? Or extract the .pdf from it?

Ooh, did you mean swiftebook?

I found their salespage and it mentions locking with password but nothing about it only being able to be opened on one computer.
    Last edited by IronFist; 09-22-2009 at 06:26 PM.

I know a person who published a couple of history / philosophy books with www.iuniverse.com