Thread: Traditional Mixers

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Most people are just visiting their particular discipline of the month. My advice is try not to mix until after you've made your core style your home. Be intimate as opposed to familiar .
    I agree with this statement, but I'm not sure it pertains the the posters. I myself have 10 years in the karate I studied, 4 in various souther styles, about 8 with my internal instructor, and now three in BJJ.

I personally feel one could get a very decent understanding on a systems aims and how to achieve them after 5 years. After that you are just refining, developing your own game.

I haven't trained anything for more that 4 years because I've never lived anywhere for more that four years. so unless I wanted to take up Tae Kwon do, BJJ, or some other McKwon martial art, I'm sh!t out of luck. Kung Fu isn't known for it's universal availability. I train what I can when I can. Hopefully I'll be able to steer my way back to mantis.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    so unless I wanted to take up Tae Kwon do, BJJ, or some other McKwon martial art(
    You could offend a lot of people with a statement like that, labeling Tae Kwon Do and BJJ with McKwoon styles... two styles that are actually highly regulated. You know where you stand in both styles locally and internationally based on your rank.

You could do much worse than steadying either of those styles.

Also, if you're always moving, you could easily pick up where you left off with styles like that. Where as, the guy in backwoods Mississippi might not know Shaolin Death Touch #55 quite as well as your sifu in NY did.

Meh, I don't care if I offend TKD, It's not like they could actually do anything about it. I don't like TKD and I don't care who knows it. It's one of the few arts sport actually ruined. old school TKD is still cool.

BJJ may have a reputation for better quality, but I think the shear number of them qualify them for McDojo status. And I may dabble but I'm not ready to commit 10 years to the life style change, of teh gheyness.

I lived in a town where my only two choices were Shorin ryu or ATA. I think everyone can agree I made the right choice. My point remains you make do with whats available to you.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

So I got invited to a BJJ class on the "thug" side of town

Anyway... I went last night. It's ran by a Machado Purple Belt. Definitely a tough, but good crowd. Point is San- you never know until you try. Well, it went good- the Judo definitely helps because nobody could score a take down on me- but, when I tried to follow up a throw with Newaza- it was definitely their game. Point is- you should check out one of your "McKwoon" BJJ classes and see if you can run your mouth. Maybe you can, maybe you can't- but I guarantee you'll see something that most kung fuers aren't used too--- pure physical exhaustion and sweat... lots of sweat. I'd say the typical BJJ school is more "Kung Fu" than the typical TCMA school --- (Kung Fu definition; Hard Work).

Meh, I don't care if I offend TKD, It's not like they could actually do anything about it. I don't like TKD and I don't care who knows it. It's one of the few arts sport actually ruined. old school TKD is still cool.

BJJ may have a reputation for better quality, but I think the shear number of them qualify them for McDojo status. And I may dabble but I'm not ready to commit 10 years to the life style change, of teh gheyness.

I lived in a town where my only two choices were Shorin ryu or ATA. I think everyone can agree I made the right choice. My point remains you make do with whats available to you.
    I'm a 3rd degree BB in ITF TKD, you'd be surprised what I can do with it.
    I went from TKD to Kyokushin and didn't miss a step and was right at home.
    That should tell you something about what TKD can be.
    Genralizations are what make people say "Kung fu guys are a bunch of silk pajama wearing forms fairies".
    As for shorin-ryu, I have only been to 3 schools of shorin-ryu in ALL of them that sparred hard contact, which is far more than I can say about the majority of kung fu kwoons I have gone to.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

people say "Kung fu guys are a bunch of silk pajama wearing forms fairies".
    there is a reason for that
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

1. yes. we may take or pick whatever we like or need and drill on them.

2. however, to integrate them into your things/system is more important.

meaning, we have to have a underlying or universal core tactics and strategy.

3. then all the pieces of puzzles will come together as "one" with you in them.

so unless I wanted to take up Tae Kwon do, BJJ, or some other McKwon martial art, I'm sh!t out of luck.
    Don't let your own prejudice hold you back, San He. The good stuff is a lot more alike than different no matter where you find it.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon