Thread: Traditional Mixers

Hybrid View

Traditional Mixers

I'm curious as to how many people here mix styles and what your interests are. Here's mine:

Base Style: 7* Praying Mantis, started 1992, level - closed door since 1997

Secondary: Judo, started 2004, Ikkyu

Interested in:
    FMA styles like escrima for the knife and stick, the Mook Jong "Simonet" style, Shuai Chiao, Basic BJJ, and Boxing.

Question

Nobody mixes? Nobody wants to supplement their base? Nobody has interests outside of whatever they're currently training?

I find that hard to believe.

---

Next time I'll start a thread about who has the biggest b00bies in MMA. That'll spark some meaningful discussion.

Base style: E-Chuan

Supported by: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/wrestling and boxing

I have to say for the first time I'm starting to blend all the things I learned so where as I don't think of doing this or that. I see opportunities to mess with the others structure, balance and timing. Having the BJJ option is nice. Because if you start getting worked you can always change the subject.

Base Style: Baguazhang

Secondary: Arnis De Mano, Thai Boxing

Tertiary: Pentjak Silat, No-Gi grappling (BJJ/sambo)
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

Everything I train is kung fu, even the stuff that isn't.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I've always felt a little sorry for those that don't "mix" their MA.
    All MA have so much to offer, to deny that variety is just silly.
    Cross training and mixing MA is the TRADITIONAL method of training.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Everything I train is kung fu, even the stuff that isn't.
    he's using my stuff LOL

no, but really, yeah, me too

Base was Hung Ga, Shuai Jiao, Lama Pai and CHoy Lay Fut

Non Chinese base was Taekwondo and Hapkido

Now freely mixed with western wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai, Savate, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo and whatever I'm playing with at the moment (lately Taiji push hands!)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I'm curious as to how many people here mix styles and what your interests are. Here's mine:

Base Style: 7* Praying Mantis, started 1992, level - closed door since 1997

Secondary: Judo, started 2004, Ikkyu

Interested in:
    FMA styles like escrima for the knife and stick, the Mook Jong "Simonet" style, Shuai Chiao, Basic BJJ, and Boxing.
    It's interesting as you mix you find subtleties in similar techniques with a slightly different emphasis and essence. I've been with the same teacher in the same style for over 30 years, I have many respected high level colleagues from many different systems. Times we've gotten together analyzing and comparing we spot the differences along with the similarities. In certain comparisons I was blessed to learn a subtle essence that helped fill in the blank to techniques that had until then eluded me.

Most people are just visiting their particular discipline of the month. My advice is try not to mix until after you've made your core style your home. Be intimate as opposed to familiar
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Wink

Most all of us have a mixed back ground, it depends on when and where you were born and grew up. I was born and raised in Los Angeles (1938). I learned the hard way, street fighting. My Dad taught me Boxing which really paid off. I started in Jui Jitsu 1955 - took a look at Karate around 58 and ended up in Kung Fu 1959 .

We learn whats available to us and what suits our needs.

This forum offers a great insight into the world of Martail Arts - however - there's good news and bad news - there's a lot of information to be had here but trolls will end up with " torched butts" LOL
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Most people are just visiting their particular discipline of the month. My advice is try not to mix until after you've made your core style your home. Be intimate as opposed to familiar

That is probably the most profound advice anyone could give. If you have 17 different styles or systems that you have trained, when did you ever have time to master any one of them? That is probably not the word, but intimate probably fits much better. You can incorporate certain individual moves into your chosen "intimate" system, but unless it is well ingrained into your being you are more than likely to confuse yourself and become even less effective in self defense. Plus it has to at least follow the concepts of your intimate system or it might conflict with your own system. I find that there are lots better, or at least as good methods of keeping fit then fighting, or practicing to fight, so I must then admit that my practice of WC, when I do practice, is strictly for the purpose of defending myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I agree with this. In a sense, it is the basics that you want to have completely solid before you start branching out. Basics pretty much map out across everything. Conceptually and tactically.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Most people are just visiting their particular discipline of the month. My advice is try not to mix until after you've made your core style your home. Be intimate as opposed to familiar .
    I agree with this statement, but I'm not sure it pertains the the posters. I myself have 10 years in the karate I studied, 4 in various souther styles, about 8 with my internal instructor, and now three in BJJ.

I personally feel one could get a very decent understanding on a systems aims and how to achieve them after 5 years. After that you are just refining, developing your own game.

I haven't trained anything for more that 4 years because I've never lived anywhere for more that four years. so unless I wanted to take up Tae Kwon do, BJJ, or some other McKwon martial art, I'm sh!t out of luck. Kung Fu isn't known for it's universal availability. I train what I can when I can. Hopefully I'll be able to steer my way back to mantis.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    so unless I wanted to take up Tae Kwon do, BJJ, or some other McKwon martial art(
    You could offend a lot of people with a statement like that, labeling Tae Kwon Do and BJJ with McKwoon styles... two styles that are actually highly regulated. You know where you stand in both styles locally and internationally based on your rank.

You could do much worse than steadying either of those styles.

Also, if you're always moving, you could easily pick up where you left off with styles like that. Where as, the guy in backwoods Mississippi might not know Shaolin Death Touch #55 quite as well as your sifu in NY did.

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    so unless I wanted to take up Tae Kwon do, BJJ, or some other McKwon martial art, I'm sh!t out of luck.
    Don't let your own prejudice hold you back, San He. The good stuff is a lot more alike than different no matter where you find it.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon