Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Mixers

Traditional Mixers

I'm curious as to how many people here mix styles and what your interests are. Here's mine:

Base Style: 7* Praying Mantis, started 1992, level - closed door since 1997

Secondary: Judo, started 2004, Ikkyu

Interested in:
    FMA styles like escrima for the knife and stick, the Mook Jong "Simonet" style, Shuai Chiao, Basic BJJ, and Boxing.

Question

Nobody mixes? Nobody wants to supplement their base? Nobody has interests outside of whatever they're currently training?

I find that hard to believe.

---

Next time I'll start a thread about who has the biggest b00bies in MMA. That'll spark some meaningful discussion.

Base style: E-Chuan

Supported by: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/wrestling and boxing

I have to say for the first time I'm starting to blend all the things I learned so where as I don't think of doing this or that. I see opportunities to mess with the others structure, balance and timing. Having the BJJ option is nice. Because if you start getting worked you can always change the subject.

Base Style: Baguazhang

Secondary: Arnis De Mano, Thai Boxing

Tertiary: Pentjak Silat, No-Gi grappling (BJJ/sambo)
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

Everything I train is kung fu, even the stuff that isn't.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I've always felt a little sorry for those that don't "mix" their MA.
    All MA have so much to offer, to deny that variety is just silly.
    Cross training and mixing MA is the TRADITIONAL method of training.

look at the highest level of martial application. War. when war has been waged in the past, historically many times its to conquer. when ever a country conquers another there's an assimilation of martial technology, technique, strategy, etc. that the conquerers found to be of use. This is always the case. Its the natural order of strife to aquire anything that can make you or your people stronger as a whole for the next confrontation.

Why we would do anything other than that on a personal scale is beyond me.

On a plus side, you dont even have to conquer anyone anymore, just go pay money for the additional skills!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Its not even a matter of assimilating technique or technology after conquering... most of the time you have to change to fight like they do just to beat them. Thus guerrilla fighting in Vietnam.

Drones dropping bombs on lone targets is an advanced version of the road side bomb. War without being there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Its not even a matter of assimilating technique or technology after conquering... most of the time you have to change to fight like they do just to beat them. Thus guerrilla fighting in Vietnam.
    word. or adjust to fight around/through/over/under what ever they might be employing. i guess that could be likened to spys and double agents stealing top secret military intel to help win. we just go train at another gym. lol stealing secret techniques over the fence like in old shaw bros movies hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Drones dropping bombs on lone targets is an advanced version of the road side bomb. War without being there.
    the sucker punch!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Hung-Ga, SPM, Suet Gohk.
    But-one of my students is a Muay Thai instructor, so I get to drill some cool kicks, kenpo develops the concept of continuation.
    My backround covers many other styles, so my TKD and Tang Soo Do kicks come into play, Jiu-Jutsu and Hapkido locks and throws, wing chun,kali, kyokushin, etc all enter into the mix, because that is what makes up who I am, and it flavors my training/teaching.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 09-16-2009 at 12:52 PM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Hung-Ga, SPM, Suet Gohk.
    But-one of my students is a Muay Thai instructor, so I get to drill some cool kicks,
    My backround covers many other styles, so my TKD and Tang Soo Do kicks come into play, Jiu-Jutsu and Hapkido locks and throws, wing chun,kali, kyokushin, etc all enter into the mix, because that is what makes up who I am, and it flavors my training/teaching.
    Crazy talk from a glorified kickboxer with an insect fetish !

I'm American

It's all about Melting Pot Fu.

But I'll take mine straight, no chaser.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Everything I train is kung fu, even the stuff that isn't.
    he's using my stuff LOL

no, but really, yeah, me too

Base was Hung Ga, Shuai Jiao, Lama Pai and CHoy Lay Fut

Non Chinese base was Taekwondo and Hapkido

Now freely mixed with western wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai, Savate, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo and whatever I'm playing with at the moment (lately Taiji push hands!)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Favorite/Base Style: Seven Star Praying Mantis, started 2007-2008. By far my favorite, has everything I like from my previous training and nothing I don't.

Secondary: Tae Kwon Do 1990-1992, Shaolin-Do 1998-2002, San Da 2001-2002, Shorin Ryu 2005-2007.

Tertiary: Aikido 2002/2006, BJJ 2002/2008, Choy Lay Fut 2005, Wing Chun 2009, Long Fist 2009. Tai Chi, Judo, Shotokan, MCMAP.
    Last edited by SanHeChuan; 09-17-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

stuff mixed with other stuff.

I'm trying to get rid of stuff.

*whittle whittle*
    Kung Fu is good for you.