Ocam's dan-dao!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Hung-Ga, SPM, Suet Gohk.
    But-one of my students is a Muay Thai instructor, so I get to drill some cool kicks, kenpo develops the concept of continuation.
    My backround covers many other styles, so my TKD and Tang Soo Do kicks come into play, Jiu-Jutsu and Hapkido locks and throws, wing chun,kali, kyokushin, etc all enter into the mix, because that is what makes up who I am, and it flavors my training/teaching.
    That's very well rounded.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    he's using my stuff LOL

no, but really, yeah, me too

Base was Hung Ga, Shuai Jiao, Lama Pai and CHoy Lay Fut

Non Chinese base was Taekwondo and Hapkido

Now freely mixed with western wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai, Savate, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo and whatever I'm playing with at the moment (lately Taiji push hands!)
    Wow. I didn't know that. I was in NYC and would have loved to have some friendly push hands and lunch.

Hell, I should have come by to roll. Only so much time in a day/trip... I didn't even get to see my master.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    he's using my stuff LOL
    it got us this....
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I learned several styles of northern boxing in the 1970s.

talking about mixing or blending

we need to have a core of moves that deal with common fighting problems.

we may take whatever works better for us in a given situation.

sort of make your own salad bowl from picking or taking whatever you like from the buffet table.

---

Something I've been thinking about lately is that there's a difference between fighting and dueling. Mostly, I think that we have a tendency to train dueling especially when we're training as "fighters". Every now and again I've been trying to really muddy up my personal training because I keep thinking about one of my family friends. When we were younger- he was just plain tough. Big guy, high pain tolerance, liked to brawl. There's a lot of people like him out there. So I've been thinking about dealing with a person like that. He's not your average sloppy streetfighter- we're talking more of a skilled brawler.

Dueling has a rhythm or a cadence, there's some predictability to it- sometimes you win, sometimes you lose--- These brawlers man handle ya'. They grab you, force clinches, rifle hard shots at you from any and all angles. They slam you into things. They push pull punch shove - it's just a period of intense chaotic aggressiveness. So- I've been trying to put myself in situations where I can learn to deal with that. Usually a lot of hard randori with bigger guys without gi's. Haven't worked in a lot of striking yet... been thinking about hard randori with gloves or something.

Anyway- I'm probably not making a huge amount of sense, but I notice a difference between that and what I call dueling.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Something I've been thinking about lately is that there's a difference between fighting and dueling. Mostly, I think that we have a tendency to train dueling especially when we're training as "fighters". Every now and again I've been trying to really muddy up my personal training because I keep thinking about one of my family friends. When we were younger- he was just plain tough. Big guy, high pain tolerance, liked to brawl. There's a lot of people like him out there. So I've been thinking about dealing with a person like that. He's not your average sloppy streetfighter- we're talking more of a skilled brawler.

Dueling has a rhythm or a cadence, there's some predictability to it- sometimes you win, sometimes you lose--- These brawlers man handle ya'. They grab you, force clinches, rifle hard shots at you from any and all angles. They slam you into things. They push pull punch shove - it's just a period of intense chaotic aggressiveness. So- I've been trying to put myself in situations where I can learn to deal with that. Usually a lot of hard randori with bigger guys without gi's. Haven't worked in a lot of striking yet... been thinking about hard randori with gloves or something.

Anyway- I'm probably not making a huge amount of sense, but I notice a difference between that and what I call dueling.
    I don't see it this way. When I randori in Judo, especially against the black belts, I may not get a throw all night. I may get one throw in a three minute round, but then again, I may get 3. It definately could be considered 'dueling'. I think that's because you have two guys who have skill going at each other. The fight is in the gripping, thefootwork, and the countering. There's a lot of stalemate going on as we tend to nullify each other.

Now, you stick a white belt, or a non-Judoka in front of me, I'm going to tear through him like butter. To use a SC saying, I touch them and they are thrown. The only reason i can do that, is because of what I get training against the black belts. The 'dueling' is what gives me the skill to do the 'fighting'.

Ever see a boxer get in a fight on the street? It's quick and it's brutal. Jab-cross-hook-cross will lay out anyone in about 1 second who doesn't know how to defend. Same with any other 'dueling' art.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

High School Wrestling, N. Shaolin, Hsing-i, Shuai Chiao...in that order.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Base:

Ba Gua, Hop Gar, Shuai Jiao

mixed with some Kuo Lien Ying Tai Chi, Muay Thai, boxing, BJJ
    by the way, forgot to tell you that investment process

I started my WC training back in 1955. Never was aware of all these other styles. Not until sometime in the 70's anyway. But now in the 60's I met a Japanese fellow that was interested in WC but could not get anyone to show him. The only people I knew of that practiced WC back then were family. Chinese. And Japanese were not favored by most Chinese at that time. He taught me Jujitsu over the next several years. Japanese jujitsu. In the early 70's I had a friend from my time in Viet Nam that showed me some of his TKD. He was a Korean officer. He was also more interested in my WC. He came to the states when his wife got a great job in a big hospital in Dallas. I also studied for a while ****o Karate. I felt like all this was sort of confusing my WC abilities so I stopped playing with it. Not trying to be starting anything, but I felt that from the few other styles of fighting I delved into, WC offered the most. It was the perfect way to enter into a jujitsu throw, hold, or takedown.

You're only seeing this now?

lol

j/k but ritualistic sparring such as two man drills, metered sparring, etc etc is dueling, it is not fighting and it is what the majority of people are actually training as opposed to what is knock down dirty drag em out fighting, which pretty much nobody but professional fighters train.

the trick is to take your dueling skills and refine them to fighting skills.

get rid of the dance dance revolution stuff and keep the small pocket full of skills that you really do have.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'm curious as to how many people here mix styles and what your interests are. Here's mine:

Base Style: 7* Praying Mantis, started 1992, level - closed door since 1997

Secondary: Judo, started 2004, Ikkyu

Interested in:
    FMA styles like escrima for the knife and stick, the Mook Jong "Simonet" style, Shuai Chiao, Basic BJJ, and Boxing.
    It's interesting as you mix you find subtleties in similar techniques with a slightly different emphasis and essence. I've been with the same teacher in the same style for over 30 years, I have many respected high level colleagues from many different systems. Times we've gotten together analyzing and comparing we spot the differences along with the similarities. In certain comparisons I was blessed to learn a subtle essence that helped fill in the blank to techniques that had until then eluded me.

Most people are just visiting their particular discipline of the month. My advice is try not to mix until after you've made your core style your home. Be intimate as opposed to familiar
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Wink

Most all of us have a mixed back ground, it depends on when and where you were born and grew up. I was born and raised in Los Angeles (1938). I learned the hard way, street fighting. My Dad taught me Boxing which really paid off. I started in Jui Jitsu 1955 - took a look at Karate around 58 and ended up in Kung Fu 1959 .

We learn whats available to us and what suits our needs.

This forum offers a great insight into the world of Martail Arts - however - there's good news and bad news - there's a lot of information to be had here but trolls will end up with " torched butts" LOL
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Most people are just visiting their particular discipline of the month. My advice is try not to mix until after you've made your core style your home. Be intimate as opposed to familiar

That is probably the most profound advice anyone could give. If you have 17 different styles or systems that you have trained, when did you ever have time to master any one of them? That is probably not the word, but intimate probably fits much better. You can incorporate certain individual moves into your chosen "intimate" system, but unless it is well ingrained into your being you are more than likely to confuse yourself and become even less effective in self defense. Plus it has to at least follow the concepts of your intimate system or it might conflict with your own system. I find that there are lots better, or at least as good methods of keeping fit then fighting, or practicing to fight, so I must then admit that my practice of WC, when I do practice, is strictly for the purpose of defending myself.