wing chun kuen, training equipment includes:

mirrors
    sandbags
    candles
    rattan rings
    chopstick bundles
    paper
    wooden dummy.

Here is some equipment use in solo training?

Most of them are pretty self explantory.

Now I wanted to know your opinions on the use of chop sticks and punching a candle flame and paper? How useful are those things in real fighting?

Please share your opinions and provide some good quality information.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

无师无对手,对镜与桩求

"Without my sifu or any opponent, i will look to the mirror or the wooden dummy".
    "In fighting, the hand you can see will not hurt you, the hand you cannot see, will hurt you." - Grandmaster Gary Lam

Now I wanted to know your opinions on the use of chop sticks
    There are better methods and equipment in modern times to develop the attributes these are purported to develop.

and punching a candle flame and paper? How useful are those things in real fighting?
    Waste of time IMO.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

mirrors = You can not watch yourself and know what you are doing right or wrong. You have to feel that.

sandbags = Yes, they can help you develop the fists and wrists for hard punching.

candles= Forget this.

rattan rings= forget this.

chopstick bundles= It is easier to eat with a fork.

paper = forget this too.

wooden dummy. = Yes, this will help you in your applications.

Learning is done in a learning invironment. You learn nothing of value while you are getting slammed in the face. You only apply what you have learned earlier. This is why I say you do not have to actually fight to learn to fight. You have to learn to fight first, then you apply what you have learned to do when you fight. You test what you have learned, and you determine what does and does not work for you when you fight.
    If you do not have a partner to train with, you can make yourself a one armed dummy to train and drill with. It will not be the same, but no dummy is exacly like working with a human partner. Here is where you use a little imagination.

solo training

If you benefit from it use it! mostly I use mirrors, the dummy and Kettlebells!
    Don Berry DC RKC

Question

Don: What is the purpose of...

1. Striking the flame on a candle

2. Twisting a Bundle of chop sticks

3. Punching paper

There was and eagle claw guy from Shaolin who said tht todays martial arts lack the paper punching training. Although I saw a Jeet Kune Do video which had this sort of training with in their system?

Please share your opinion?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

purpose

When I studied your system w/ Master McField those where doe for:

1 Chopstick, grip strength and training the elbows

2 & 3 Punching speed.
    say Hi to Woody
    Don Berry DC RKC

Quote Originally Posted by donbdc View Post
    When I studied your system w/ Master McField those where doe for:

1 Chopstick, grip strength and training the elbows

2 & 3 Punching speed.
    say Hi to Woody
    Don Berry DC RKC
    Thank you Don? I was wondering if any other lineages...or someone outside of us Don utilizes those tools before. I previewed a book called 72 Skils(Kungs) of shaolin. It speaks of hitting the flame and chopstick drilling as well. But many people today have lost this training. I was wandering if their are any other YKS or mainland WC people who still keep this training alive? And Why?

But thats alot Don for sharing. I suspect you will gain scrunity from some of the others. I saw Woody yesterday. He always speaks highly of you Don Berry. Keep up the great training.

Lol

Do you think any body on this forum holds me in any regard? No my friend I am no pedigree,LOL!
    Peace
    PS Get a Kettle Bell and find an instructor!
    Don Berry DC RKC

There was and eagle claw guy from Shaolin who said tht todays martial arts lack the paper punching training.
    Some unnamed **** "from Shaolin" has an opinion. Big ****ing deal. Maybe some training methods get lost because they suck.

PS Get a Kettle Bell and find an instructor!
    Agree 100%. Preferably get several KB's.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Some unnamed **** "from Shaolin" has an opinion. Big ****ing deal. Maybe some training methods get lost because they suck.

Agree 100%. Preferably get several KB's.
    Thank you for your opinion Anerlich. Please share me in your point of view what is the reason for following the drills:

1. Twisting chop sticks?

2. Punching a flame of a candle?

3. Punching a sheet of paper?

4.Rattan Rings

What is the reason for this training?

Rattan Rings

Few people on this forum like them, and the subject has been brought up a few times. I use them and I like them, and since YOU asked I will explain a little.
    I use them w/ complex hand motion and foot work patterns. Insert the hands through opposite directions, do Gahn/Johm or tan Dah or whatever complex motion you want apply w/ foot work. Keeps the elbows inside and makes sure the upper and lower boddy are working together. It's a nice training tool.
    As far as KB's go go to Dragondoor.com, LOok for a certified trainer. This will help you in soooo many ways!
    Take Care
    Don Berry DC RKC

On a side note, Kettlebells are a VERY traditional training method.
    Versions of KB exist in TCMA and in Okinawan Karate.

KB's

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Exactly! They are not new just a rediscovery of an old training device, put together w/ modern training techniques from some of the formost sports physiologist in the world.
    Did I say go to dragondoor.com.
    Don Berry DC RKC

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    sanjuro_ronin. Whats the benefit of kettel bells?

Also in your opinion what do you think the purpose of punching a flame and piece of paper?

Don Berry what got you into using kettle bells?