Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun sparring

Wing Chun sparring

Hello All!

This is my first post here but I have been reading this forum for some time. I have been studying Wing Chun for 3 years now. I have a question that I hope the more experienced people will be able to answer. I have spent a fair amount of time watching videos on youtube and everytime I see two Wing chun people sparring it tends to look like two people just swinging at each other. Where are all the techniques? I see tons of chain punching but no fook sao, or tan, or kwan........ Are these people just untrained and are unable to use their Wing Chun the way it was designed or do most technigues fall apart under pressure? So I guess I'm asking why most Wing chun when pressure tested looks like just constant chain punching. Maybe I'm not seeing the right videos though.

I'm looking foward to everyone's thoughts on this. Can anyone post videos where someone is using good Wing Chun under a high pressure situation?

Thanks to all!

U tube again!

The U tube is not an accurate sample of reality. Suggest making the effort and visiting a top flight school when there is "sparring" going on. So called chain punching when done right is a developmental tool -NOT to be overdone in sparring.
    Lots of bad wing chun on u tube. I am sure you will get noise and more opinions.

joy chaudhuri.

Talking

theres ALOT of real bad wing chun

lets face it the majority of wc practioners cant apply there style

but with that said neither can the majority of other martial artists as well most people do train in a unrealistic manner, most people do not train hard enough and most peoples martial training will fly out the window in an actual fight

being that we live in a modern society where martial arts arent used for survival as they were in the old days its not suprising there is alack of quality practioners

does wing chun work? yes i would find it hard believe that the shaolin temple wanted to create a style that worked well against others and could be learned in a quicker amount of time but in the end ended up making a martial art that doesnt actually work

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

There is a fascination today with video. The stuff you see on utube is mostly young people that are only half trained in their chosen style, and they have not actually trained or practiced long and hard enough to show the skills you seek. These same people have the notion that fighting is learning, but it really isn't. I suppose that you do learn a few things when fighting, like not getting too close, or when you should have ran, but in most cases learning stops when you leave your training space. You only get to apply what you have learned when you fight, and very little of anything else as far as technique. If you talk to most seriously skilled people they will tell you that they have spent a great portion of their lives training and working with a partner doing repititious moves over and over until they can do then in their sleep and under any condition, such as fight stress. You need to work with a partner as much and as often as you can so that you learn timing and such. That is where you learn, not sparring in a ring or street fighting.
    When you do see serious fighting skills being demonstrated there is always the guys that question it because the guy is not fighting a resisting opponent. This is silly because when a person is resisting he stops usually as soon as he catches a fist in the face or neck. These same people seem to think that fighting is learning. It isn't. It is applying what has been previously learned. It was suggested that you visit a good kwoon and watch some of these people sparing or applying technique. You can ask the skill level and probably get to see some really good technique being used. You can find some good stuff on utube, but on average you only find stuff that is in name only.

This is my first post here but I have been reading this forum for some time.
    If so, then you miraculously missed the considerable number of older posts closely related to the subject of this thread.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

check out ..http://www.philippbayer.net/ he has several videos of shparink

ive seen many of these too. some people say "this is how WC will look". two people throwing punches at each other and brawling is not skilled fighitng no matter what

i think this style of fighting comes from two reasons

1. people misunderstand the strategy of overwhelming your opponent and constant attack. it really doesnt mean unloading on an opponent nonstop with no skill, but people take it as such

2. they might have some success iwth this. against another unskilled opponent, the brawler who is in better phsyical condition will win

Quote Originally Posted by kungfublow View Post
    Hello All!

This is my first post here but I have been reading this forum for some time. I have been studying Wing Chun for 3 years now. I have a question that I hope the more experienced people will be able to answer. I have spent a fair amount of time watching videos on youtube and everytime I see two Wing chun people sparring it tends to look like two people just swinging at each other. Where are all the techniques? I see tons of chain punching but no fook sao, or tan, or kwan........ Are these people just untrained and are unable to use their Wing Chun the way it was designed or do most technigues fall apart under pressure? So I guess I'm asking why most Wing chun when pressure tested looks like just constant chain punching. Maybe I'm not seeing the right videos though.

I'm looking foward to everyone's thoughts on this. Can anyone post videos where someone is using good Wing Chun under a high pressure situation?

Thanks to all!
    Last edited by Pacman; 09-17-2009 at 11:08 PM.

You will not always see wing chun tools such as tan, bong, fook etc as it depends on my aspects such as range, skill, type of equipment etc.

You should see go punching and to a large extent the punch is wing chun.

Most people in most martial arts styles can't apply their art fully. But then you have to identify what applying the art means....gloved sparring or light contact or chi sau are not always good indicators.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

btw

Top three groups to look at in my eyes are WSL guys, Robert Chu/Alan Orr Guys and Duncan Leung guys.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Thanks for all the responses!

I was worried that all my training and hard work was just going to lead to me throwing random punches over and over again in a fight. I don't see the point of all this hard work if that's where this is leading. I can learn to fight like that on my own just by fighting. It's good to know that with dedication and lots of drill training you can make this work under pressure. That's my end goal. I'll keep up the hard work and enjoy the ride that is Wing chun. Hopefully I can get to the point where I can use all this in a real fight situation.

I totally agree that you can't learn to use your wing chun while pressure testing it. In my experience with this there isn't time during a fight exchange to worry about what technique I am going to use and when I am gonig to use it. I would think this needs to be like a reflex. You feel something then react to it. I think that this can only be achieved by drilling until your body just reacts in any given situation on it's own without thinking about it. Then there would be a different set of things to work on during fighting. Things like timing and distance. I don't think during sparring a person should be worried about how to apply technique. They should just be able to do it without thinking about it .

Wonderful Post. Excellent summary. I think right now this is one of the better threads up and running.

I enjoyed the many explanations on why WC doesn't look like WC when it is applied by young inexeperience fighters on Television. Have you seen the footage of Bruce Lee applying WC on a rooftop. Like a Beimo. I think it would be a good idea if you guys on here could get together and film a video of WC being applied.

I would love to see that?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Morning y'all.

I just wanted to jump in with a little discussion on sparring. Sparring is a training tool much like drills or pad work or hitting the bag, it is not fighting. The only way to know how you will look in a fight is to get in one. And remember, how you look in that fight is only how you look against that particular person at that particular time.

Sparring is a good way to test what you have learned, under pressure in a controlled environment. There are many levels of sparring from very light contact to rather heavy contact and from one step you attack and I counter to continuous sparring. All of it is good. The closer you get fight like conditions, heavy contact continuous sparring the better you will be able to judge your strengths and weaknesses in a fight.

Of course some people spar simple because it is a fun way to bang on each other with out getting in trouble for it.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

RE: Youtube.
    Youtube seems to be fine for well know masters to show off their demos and forms, but for some reason the real fighting doesn't show up there, strange eh?
    RE: Sparring.
    Sparring can be as close to the real thing or as far away as YOU CHOOSE to make it.

This thread is a perfect example of why you don't see the things you think you should see from WC in actual fighting and why the majority of people who train WC cannot use their techniques effectively.

It has nothing to do with Utube or most WC people not learning "proper" WC (despite what some clueless "masters" will tell you).

The fact is real fighting will look nothing like the way WC is "supposed" to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T England View Post
    Top three groups to look at in my eyes are WSL guys, Robert Chu/Alan Orr Guys and Duncan Leung guys.
    I think the only guys you can actually see mixing it up with outside opponents are Alan's guys. Notice how their fighting rarely resembles what most people think WC is "supposed" to look like. There's a reason for that and it's not that they've learned "poor" WC, but that effective fighting will express itself only in certain ways.