Thread: Luohan Quan

Hybrid View

Luohan Quan

Luohan Quan,

Everyones favourite Shaolin sub style.

Here is a video, please watch it;

http://www.56.com/u65/v_MjY0Njg4NzA.html

Who is this man??

Can anyone give me a name or ANY information regarding him?

This is from an 80s Documentary called 'this is kung fu'. It was this exact performance that inspired me to learn Shaolin Kung Fu in the first place... However I have now lived in China in Henan for nearly 4 years and none of the Shaolin masters I have encountered know who this guy is. If he was from Shaolin, many of my past teachers would know who he is, after all his level is high.

So this must be Luohan quan from another place... Everyone I have asked Knows the video, they have all seen it before, but no one knows the man. Some people have suggested that it is Luohan from Wu Tai Mountain. I realise the voiceover is in Cantonese, never the less this style is certainly from northern china.

Can anyone help me? Does anyone know where this quan is from, who this guy is or anything at all about green monk robes?

hi

i was going to say look for him somewhere but i found a video clip of that movie on youtube
    theres a small description of a style, then it has modern wushu performers perform. have you thought maybe that guy was a modern wushu performer wearing a monk robe?

if you have the chance to meet famous shaolin masters, why not just learn luohanquan from them, why this guy?
    Last edited by bawang; 09-18-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Hey There BaWang,

All valid points

Yes a lot of the video was modern wushu, but I have an intimate knowledge of modern wushu and no this is not it. The guy probably isn't a monk and he may well have created the form for performance, but he certainly didn't pull the moves out of thin air, and I want to know where they came from.

I have spent years searching for the best Luohan Quan of Shaolin, and I have found it. I'm studying still. Never the less it is never enough, I would still really like to know who this guy and where his luohan quan is from.

hi rendahai
    most of the techniques he did in that video are in shaolin luohanquan
    the pose that he did, luohan listening to sutra and luohan sleeping, they are signature move of shaolin luohanquan

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Greetings,

Try checking out the Omei, Wudang and Moslem communities.

This is Ma ZhenWu, a Moslem ( I think he is no longer with us) doing Lohan basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjHba...om=PL&index=10

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

Try checking out the Omei, Wudang and Moslem communities.

This is Ma ZhenWu, a Moslem ( I think he is no longer with us) doing Lohan basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjHba...om=PL&index=10

mickey
    Thanks,

I'm in China and I can't watch YouTube (its not inside the great firewall of china) But I'll see if I can put the name in chinese into a chinese video site.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    hi rendahai
    most of the techniques he did in that video are in shaolin luohanquan
    the pose that he did, luohan listening to sutra and luohan sleeping, they are signature move of shaolin luohanquan
    Yes they are. I have seen at least 30 different Luohan Quan's in Shaolin and all of these stances appear somewhere, however there is a certain style to this luohan quan that is not familiar... I know he didn't just make up this form from the standard luohan sets that exist in shaolin today, his follows a different character. I think he must have an extended style of Luohan quan and I want to find him and learn it. Luohan quan has the most interesting character of shaolin sets... I'm rather obsessed by it.

Greetings,

The vibe I get from watching that guy is that he is doing Omei (Ermei) Shaolin. In other words, check out Sichuan province martial arts. The temples in China were not as isolated and distinct as some people think. There was much "cross pollination" for the sole purpose of keeping certain traditions alive in case something happens. This is why I suggest that you check out other places where Luohan Chuan can be found. You should not be shocked to find Shaolin forms in the areas that I suggested.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Luohan Quan,

Everyones favourite Shaolin sub style.

Here is a video, please watch it;

http://www.56.com/u65/v_MjY0Njg4NzA.html

So this must be Luohan quan from another place... Everyone I have asked Knows the video, they have all seen it before, but no one knows the man. Some people have suggested that it is Luohan from Wu Tai Mountain. I realise the voiceover is in Cantonese, never the less this style is certainly from northern china.

Can anyone help me? Does anyone know where this quan is from, who this guy is or anything at all about green monk robes?
    saw another video of it with this in the description.

十八罗汉手,本为古老拳种陕西红拳类,传到明末清初时,只得九势(式)或十势,可分左右演练。到了福建,变 成了罗汉拳(后称达尊拳)的基本功夫。后衍生出大、小罗汉拳。到了广东,融会于洪拳之中,称佛家拳或佛掌, 由于起式为左右穿花,故花拳之名较为流行。

18 luohan shou (十八罗汉手), an ancient boxing type of shaanxi hongquan (陕西红拳).

also related to fujian luohanquan (福建罗汉拳), later called dazunquan (达尊拳), and in guangdong blended with hongquan (洪拳, canto: hungkyun) into fojiaquan (佛家拳, canto: fatgakyun) also called "buddha palm"- fozhang (佛掌, canto: fatjeung).
    Last edited by LFJ; 10-03-2009 at 09:22 AM.

@LFJ

Awesome,

Thank you very much!

Shaanxi hong quan, That means it is probably as I initially thought from Wu Tai shan. There are many different styles there, but it is relatively unexploited. I can't go there just yet, and soon it will be too cold.

I've been meaning to go back there for a long time, I'll go next spring and see if I can find this style.

Shaanxi hong quan, That means it is probably as I initially thought from Wu Tai shan. There are many different styles there, but it is relatively unexploited. I can't go there just yet, and soon it will be too cold.

I've been meaning to go back there for a long time, I'll go next spring and see if I can find this style.
    well, lets not get too hasty just yet.

i found the chinese wikipedia page on it: http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-cn/十八罗汉手

its exactly what was pasted into the description of that luohanquan video. i cant confirm that it actually has anything to do with that particular set, but it does seem to have some similarities to shaanxi hongquan.

however, before you run off to wutaishan, isnt that in shanxi 山西 province, rather than shaanxi 陕西?

luo han quan

Here is a another version and video of Luo Han Quan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHKGs5Y7tMk

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/vO4DK0al0YQ/

Hey everyone,

The above link is an old video of luohan quan. Whats interesting is it is the classic form that is performed by Zhangshijie in his white robes. Except this version is a little different at the end. ALso the video appears older than the one by zhangshijie. The perfromance also includes a san lu luohan quan from the 18 forms of shaolin luohan. A form we have no other videos of.

WHo is the guy in this video? He must have learned this form from Degen Da Shi, or a direct disciple like Zhutianxi.... I can't understand what they are saying on the video, the sound is no good. Any one have a clue who this guy is?

Otherwise, good video of previously unseen luohan quan from shaolins Zhenchuan 18 luohan quan. The 3rd form on the end i can't identify.

WHo is the guy in this video? He must have learned this form from Degen Da Shi, or a direct disciple like Zhutianxi.... I can't understand what they are saying on the video, the sound is no good. Any one have a clue who this guy is?
    that is actually a young master zhu tianxi, she says so on the video several times.

Hey LFJ,

Yeah, I thought it may be, but I wasn't sure. I couldn't hear anything on the video, the sound was really bad and really quit. **** laptop speakers.

Well its cool, now we can see the difference between Zhutianxi's Luohan quan and his students (zhangshijie). Wonder how the end got changed.....