Thread: Luohan Quan

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Coincidentally, or perhaps ironically, I'm shelving my Da Luohan. I relearned it the last time my master Shi Decheng came through in a seminar and have kept it in my regimen, but haven't made any progress beyond maintenance. It's not really flowing for me so I'm letting it go for now and focusing on other material.

Love that pic

Amiuofo

It took a long while to get the steps and rhythm of Da Luohan to where there is some flow and honestly its a serious grind. Ironically, you're article with Shi De Cheng was what sparked my interest in the correct way of walking this road, the other Da Luohan I was practicing was actually JinTong Luohan Quan, this version taught by Shi De Yang and Shi De Cheng was called Lao Luohan Quan, and has only a couple variations. Its the right one though and takes a lot of drilling segment by segment. I spent months on each segment. Just to get to some fundamental fluidity.
    Needless to say, at this point, between research and sweat, Im too invested in it to stop practicing it now lol....
    And I still read your book and articles all the time . Such a treasure map, and reservoir of insight

Amituofo!
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

Xiao Luohan

Shaolin Meditator

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    Can anyone tell me why these Shaolin forms have so many alternating 180 degree directional moves? Were they developed from urban fighting in hallways and alleys? Most the simple forms I know go through at least 90 degree increments, and the more complex ones 45 degree or 60 degree directions.

Quote Originally Posted by YinOrYan View Post
    Can anyone tell me why these Shaolin forms have so many alternating 180 degree directional moves? Were they developed from urban fighting in hallways and alleys? Most the simple forms I know go through at least 90 degree increments, and the more complex ones 45 degree or 60 degree directions.
    2 main reasons I've heard are military style line drills of warrior monks, and them training that way in small training halls.
    ....and also training space for shrinking chi. "should be able to train in the area it takes an ox to rest"
    theres probably a few other reasons as well

Amitabha
    Shaolin Meditator

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    Amiuofo

It took a long while to get the steps and rhythm of Da Luohan to where there is some flow and honestly its a serious grind. Ironically, you're article with Shi De Cheng was what sparked my interest in the correct way of walking this road, the other Da Luohan I was practicing was actually JinTong Luohan Quan, this version taught by Shi De Yang and Shi De Cheng was called Lao Luohan Quan, and has only a couple variations. Its the right one though and takes a lot of drilling segment by segment. I spent months on each segment. Just to get to some fundamental fluidity.
    Needless to say, at this point, between research and sweat, Im too invested in it to stop practicing it now lol....
    And I still read your book and articles all the time . Such a treasure map, and reservoir of insight

Amituofo!
    heres a walkthrough of Da Luohan I've been working on....it's still a lot to iron out here make it flow where it feels right

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator