Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 10th World Wushu Games

Ok, two more...

The moral of these stories is that Malaysia is really into wushu.
    Saturday October 31, 2009
    Shin Yii bags a surprise silver for Malaysia in Toronto

PETALING JAYA: Ng Shin Yii capped an impressive finish for the Malaysian wushu team when she delivered a surprise silver on the final day of the world championships in Toron*to on Thurs*day.

Shin Yii earned a score of 9.79 in the taijijian (taiji sword) discipline to bring Malaysia’s final tally in the biennial world meet to 2-2-5 — bettering the previous haul of 1-2-4 in Beijing.

The 20-year-old Malacca girl showed marked improvement to secure her first-ever world championships medal – a welcome boost after the fall from grace of Doha Asian Games gold medallist Chai Fong Ying.

Fong Ying finished out of the me**dals in the taijijian and also failed to defend her title in taijiquan when she came out a disappointing 11th.

Shin Yii, who was fourth in taijiquan, has stayed in the shadows of the more illustrious Fong Ying since switching to the taiji disciplines three years ago.

She was previously trained in the taolu disciplines – chang*quan (northern style boxing, jianshu (sword) and qiangshu (spear) – and even won medals at the SEA Games.

However, a serious ankle injury, which resulted in her being on crutches for six months, forced her to switch to the taiji disciplines.

Only three of the 10 exponents who competed in Toronto will come home empty-handed – Fong Ying, her sister Fong Wei and 2003 Vietnam SEA Games gold medallist Ang Eng Chong.
    Nice pic

Sunday November 1, 2009
    Male exponents can now be counted on to deliver honours
    By LIM TEIK HUAT

PETALING JAYA: The women wushu exponents have brought glory to the country in the last three years but now there is hope of the men delivering honours as well going by the results at the just concluded World Championships in Toronto.

Despite fielding mainly youngsters because of the retirement of several seasoned campaigners, the Malaysian squad surpassed their previous haul from Beijing with a total of 2-2-5.

The two gold medals came from Ho Mun Hua (men’s nanquan – southern style barehands) and Lee Yang (men’s taijiquan), the first time Malaysia produced winners in these disciplines.

In the previous world meet in Beijing two years, Chai Fong Ying delivered the only gold medal in women’s taijijian (taiji sword) as Malaysia also secured two silver and four bronze medals.

However, Fong Ying, the Asian Games gold medal in Doha in 2006, did not fare well this time.

She not just failed to retain her title after settling for a disappointing 11th but also finished empty handed after coming in fourth in taijiquan behind her Malaysian team-mate Ng Shin Yii.

She will get the chance to bounce back onto the podium at the SEA Games in Laos next month and it is going to be exciting days ahead as Malaysia can also count on the men to chip in this time.

Team manager Chong Kim Fatt said there is hope on the two gold medallists to live up to expectations in Laos.

“Apart from the women, we have better chances in the men’s competition as well. Besides Mun Hua in nanquan, there is also Loh Jack Chang and Lee Yang to challenge for honours in the taijiquan and taijijian disciplines.

“Jack Chang did well in his debut world championships to take two medals (one silver in taijijian and one bronze in taijiquan).

“It will not be easy, however, as the gold medals at the SEA Games will be decided from combined disciplines.

“Taking this into account, we will still keep our target at two gold medals,” he said.

At the last SEA Games, Malaysia claimed two gold medals from Fong Ying and Diana Bong Siong Lin, who took bronze in women’s nangun (cudgel) in Toronto.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    nice report; I guess they made sure to tape it when no spectators where in the arena to keep the noise levels down...

like Gene, I am starting to hear "rumours" or maybe just "gossip", nothing news worthy...
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

wow, I haven't seen that many empty seats since the brasilian spartan larping contest !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Ok, one last article...

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart