Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspect arrested for murder of Iraq's entire taekwondo team

Suspect arrested for murder of Iraq's entire taekwondo team

Suspect arrested for murder of Iraq's entire taekwondo team

Officials in Iraq have anounced the arrest in Anbar of a man suspected of abducting and killing all fifteen members of the national taekwondo team. The fifteen sportsmen were ambushed in May 2006.

The team was traveling in convoy towards Jordan to attend a training camp when they were stopped by gunmen. The skeletal remains of thirteen of them were recovered near the highway the following year and the other two remain missing. The attack occurred near Khalidiyah between Fallujah and Ramadi.

US forces and Iraqi commandos made the joint arrest on September 24 and it was announced yesterday. There are no details released on the suspect, but he is reported to have possible links with other terror attacks. The US military did not state in their announcement how they identified the suspect. Victims' relatives have said they are pleased at the news. "We are still overwhelmed by sadness and bitterness, but the arrest of one of the killers will bring some relief to us," said victim Ahmed Ali's cousin Ali Hussein Hamid.

Sportsplayers and officials were regularly targeted by insurgents in 2006 and 2007. According to Chelsea Carter writing for the Associated Press, the slaying of the taekwondo team "became one of the symbols of Iraq's lawlessness during its worse years of sectarian violence."
    Suspect arrested in Iraqi taekwondo team murders
    Last edited by SanHeChuan; 09-28-2009 at 09:15 AM.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

I might merge this...

...with the Busted martial artists thread. I might not. If it picks up discussion (or I just forget about it) I won't.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

wow, something is really wrong with this world
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    wow, something is really wrong with this world
    lol. surely you are not only realizing this now?

p.s it's not the world that has something wrong with it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hey, I don't like what TKD has become too, but SHEESSHHH !!!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Hey, I don't like what TKD has become too, but SHEESSHHH !!!
    too soon dude, too soon.

Kung Fu is good for you.

hey i needed that joke like kennedy needed a hole in the head
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

bless their families.. this is really sad and pointless..

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    lol. surely you are not only realizing this now?

p.s it's not the world that has something wrong with it.
    Stop calling me Shirley!

More on the case

What a tragic story.
    Slain athletes’ families demand justice
    AFP/Baghdad
    Relatives of the members of Iraq’s taekwondo team who were kidnapped and murdered in 2006 appealed for justice yesterday after Iraqi and US forces arrested a man in connection with the attack.
    The abduction of the 15-member national team shocked both Iraq and the world, and came as the country was engulfed in sectarian violence that killed tens of thousands of people in 2006 and 2007.
    Iraqi commandos, with American advisers present, arrested the suspect on September 24 in the western province of Anbar where the kidnapping took place, the US military said in a statement.
    “The suspect is also believed to be involved in multiple terrorist activities and crimes against the country of Iraq,” it added.
    Fifteen members of the Iraqi national taekwondo team—all Shias—were kidnapped in May 2006 as they drove back from a tournament in Jordan through Sunni Anbar province.
    Thirteen of their bodies were found a year later, while two others have not yet been recovered.
    Families of the team called for the right to meet the suspect and demanded justice.
    “We want to ask him ‘why?’” Jabbar Houssuni, whose son Ali was one of the kidnapped athletes, told AFP from his home in the predominantly Shia northern Baghdad neighbourhood of Sadr City.
    “What was the reason, what was the motivation? They were athletes, carrying the Iraqi flag—they were peaceful. None of them were armed.”
    Adil Hussein Ajar, whose two brothers Ali and Alaa were also among those kidnapped, said he still had “the hope that the killers will be arrested and their (the athletes’) blood will not have been taken without punishment.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    What a tragic story.
    what's even more tragic will be the implemented so called "iraqi justice"

which is basically you hang the suspect without a trial and then spit on his corpse.

That country is messed up. Crimes against the country of Iraq? wtf? Arrested by US forces for that?

The whole story stinks.

It's too bad those guys got killed. But lets not kid ourselves, Iraq is an occupied war zone and stuff like that happens. Way more innocent people have been killed by US ordinance in Iraq than this one tkd team by another Iraqi.

it's almost fortuitous that this event can be played upon so people ignore the continued occupation of Iraq by US forces.

just sayin...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

just sayin...
    yeah, nothing screams justice more than kidnapping completely innocent people, torturing and killing them

By the way, the founder of Islam would be HORRIFIED at stories like these

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    yeah, nothing screams justice more than kidnapping completely innocent people, torturing and killing them

By the way, the founder of Islam would be HORRIFIED at stories like these
    Here is the thing with the writings of the Koran and Mohammed, they were written during a time of conflict and war and certain parts are "justifiable" under that context, other parts are truly just "sign of the times" and are taken out of context.
    There is lots of peace and love taught in the Koran, too bad that the only thing most people know of Islam is what they see and know of from extremists.
    Imagine if our view of Christianity was pro-lifers bombing abortion clinics or bible thumbing fundamentalists advocating the assasination of a world leader, or if our only view of Judaisim was seeing Jewish soldiers shooting muslim children.
    How would we view those religions?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Here is the thing with the writings of the Koran and Mohammed, they were written during a time of conflict and war and certain parts are "justifiable" under that context, other parts are truly just "sign of the times" and are taken out of context.
    There is lots of peace and love taught in the Koran, too bad that the only thing most people know of Islam is what they see and know of from extremists.
    Imagine if our view of Christianity was pro-lifers bombing abortion clinics or bible thumbing fundamentalists advocating the assasination of a world leader, or if our only view of Judaisim was seeing Jewish soldiers shooting muslim children.
    How would we view those religions?
    Islam is a religion of conflict and Mohammed was a warrior, but note that in all those battles, when they took prisoners, they took good care of those prisoners until they made arrangements to ransom them back... some stayed in Mohammed's house!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    hey i needed that joke like kennedy needed a hole in the head
    I'm still laughing at this! Only thing missing on that, was the rimshot!