Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shamanism in imitative kung fu

shamanism in imitative kung fu

hello hello everyone, i had several questions about the connection between shamanism and imitative kung fu forms.

traditionally, was there a way for the kung fu person to embody the spirit of an animal before performing an animal form? what does it really take to perform an animal form the shamanistic way?

is seven star praying mantis considered an imitative style?

i need to know these facts because im a Christian and i need to stay away from any shamanistic practices.

you dont have to worry about shamanistic practices in regards to martial arts. its all blood, and sweat.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

First, let me say this about that.

Bwahahahahaahahahahaa.

Ok.

Now who exactly is saying you have to take a spirit inside of you in order to do your exercise and martial art training?

I'd be more worried about any sort of nonsense like that overshadowing any actual worthwhile training regimen.

Otherwise, don't worry about it. Jesus loves the Kungfu man!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Was Jesus a shaman?

Jesus makes me think of lions... and lambs.

Some do interpret imitative forms as shamanism. Others just think of it as mascots, kind of like the Chicago Cubs. Are the Cubs shamans? Not tonight. The Giants are gonna kick their asses.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

spirits of giants will always beat spirits of cubs like red headed step children too!

in shamanism anyway.

Unless I was shaman, then things would be a lot different!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas316 View Post
    traditionally, was there a way for the kung fu person to embody the spirit of an animal before performing an animal form?
    yes...
    what does it really take to perform an animal form the shamanistic way?
    intention...
    i need to know these facts because im a Christian
    i am sorry to hear that...
    and i need to stay away from any shamanistic practices.
    you are already marked by the evils of the internet... your forehead gazes upon the beast and your right hand controls the mouse you use to link to it.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    yes...
    intention...
    i am sorry to hear that...
    you are already marked by the evils of the internet... your forehead gazes upon the beast and your right hand controls the mouse you use to link to it.
    Fucks sake uki, you weren't supposed to tell him then were you.

Now he's gonna spread that and the darkness will never overcome the world of man and the true believers are eaten first as a courtesy of Cthulu EA EA!!!

anyway, party pooper.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

hello hello everyone, i had several questions about the connection between shamanism and imitative kung fu forms.

traditionally, was there a way for the kung fu person to embody the spirit of an animal before performing an animal form? what does it really take to perform an animal form the shamanistic way?

i need to know these facts because im a Christian and i need to stay away from any shamanistic practices.

O Holy One!
    If there is doubt, the best thing is to stay away from things you feel or imagine will
    control you.

Talking Shamanistic Practices?

Ok, I will assume that you are wise enough to realize that you shouldnt listen to their mocking of your faith. Walk the path that is right for you. ;D

I too am a Christian however I have not once struggled with shamanism in my kung fu. I think that you are thinking it is similar to the shamanism of Native Americans and I suppose it is similar but I believe the Native Americans are "possessed"(usually due to hallucinations caused by one thing or another) by the spirit of the animal(and thus begin to imitate it) which is different than the kung fu way of doing it(in my experience).

The kung fu way is more about the mindset/fighting principles of the animal as well as the imitation of it's movements. For example, Bak Mei is a combo of all five (shaolin) animals which are the crane, snake, tiger, leopard, and dragon. We are told to have the spirit of the leopard(dragon or tiger depending on what your lineage follows) but it has more to do with the way it fights/thinks. A tiger would be a fierce opponent therefore one would adopt a more ferocious way of fighting. the leopard relys on speed and power as well as being sneaky(hence the spots) therefore one would adopt a fighting pattern based around speed, strength, as well as sneak attacks. The dragon appears and disappears at will and is powerful therefore one would adopt a pattern that revolves around power generation and footwork. All of these are simply basic illustrations but I hope they have helped.

As for the shaman thing, shamanistic practices are more about involving yourself in shamanistic activities relating to a spiritual nature. Communing with the spirits of the trees and such and less about using a bug to help teach you about fighting.

BTW, Seven Star Mantis is an imitative style.

Yes, don't pay attention to the men behind the curtain.

Kung Fu is good for you.

speaking of CTHULHU...

...not that we should ever speak of the unspeakable one, did you know there's a Cthulhu perfume now? Eau de Cthulhu.

It's all about the Lion of Judah for me.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

traditionally, was there a way for the kung fu person to embody the spirit of an animal before performing an animal form?
    Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    intention...
    Uki is right.

I don't think I've ever seen any animal have more intent than a cat (of any size) about to attack something. The way they focus their eyes on the target, lay in wait motionless, and finally explode forward like lightning. It is this powerful intent that should be imitated and not some misguided supernatural yearning to take on the target animal's disembodied spirit.

1. shaman or religious practice is another big topic altogether.

2. kung fu mimicking the things and animals in the nature.

1. xing or shape/form, the moves are mimicking the functions of the moves from things and animals in nature.

2. yi, intent or will, the moves are not look alikes but have a similar function or purpose.

3. shen, the spirits/personalities/characters of the things and animals, such as lightening fast and fatal strikes of a cobra, ferocities of a tiger,--

we possess or train to have the functions and characters of things and animals in the nature.

but we do not summon cobra, or a tiger to possess or control us.

7* and plum flower mantis have a lot of look alike or shapes of a mantis moving its forearms.

however, 6 harmony mantis, the moves have similar properties or functions, but they do not look alike at all--

in mantis, actually, your steps are light like those of a chicken and some are like that of a monkey

even thou your forearms are like those of a mantis

do you become a chicken or a chicken possessing you, no not really.

leave your religious practice out of the way.

---

I'm Jewish, I can't speak for Jesus, but God is ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    I'm Jewish, I can't speak for Jesus, but God is ok with it.
    well, that's all well and fine, but remember, Jesus was a Jew too.

Kung Fu is good for you.