Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Private lessons

Before jumping off into this, have you ever taught before? You need a program to start with. You have to start with 1 2 3 4 5 and so on. You can not do it 5 1 3 6 2. If you catch my drift. It is a very long and drawn out process if all you are going to do is an hour a week. I personally would never agree to anything like that. It will be something that could go on for a very long time. I have only taught a hand full of people in my entire life. Only a few paid me, the rest were family. I would do no less than 8 hours a week, with right at 32 hours a month. I made a great deal of progress in a 6 month period. I think I charged something like $350 a month. That is not a great deal really, but it was an honest charge. That was for 2 people. I always had to have 2 people so that they could work together in learning.
    The problem some of the local teachers had was young people coming to them all fired up and full of themselves, then after a few sessions become disappointed because they couldn't clean out a room full of bikers or something and stop coming. They would be late, miss days, and make every kind of dumb excuse. There is no excuse for wasting the time of another. Waste your own time, but not mine. I would ask for $1,000 cash up front. I would get all sorts of responses, but for certain they made every date for that first 3 months.
    what ever you do, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    You have to start with 1 2 3 4 5 and so on. You can not do it 5 1 3 6 2.
    or you could do it 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, and 97. you gotta screw things up in order to find an appropriate harmony within all the chaos of the simplicities... notice how there is no reduced 9's in these numbers?? pretty interesting...

the best way to do private lessons is to use the barter-like system based on each individual involved... obviously if your client is driving around in a mercedes or jaguar, you can charge a "reasonable" price to accommodate their financial situation - yet to the common working man or single mom who may be in the dire straits of the times, "reasonable" tends to differentiate... usually teachers will have both ends of the financial spectrum, yet to deny someone because they are financially incapable of paying a hefty price is not very humble or honorable - compensating from wealthier individuals helps to balance out the difference in charge. trade of services is another brilliant concept, as perhaps one of your students is a carpenter or other tradesmith and you yourself are in need of services? like... you have a leaking roof and your student is a roofer or you need a new foundation wall and your student is a mason... each individual in question is case specific - to hold onto an absolute price is not in accordance with the nature of the way.

$150 an hr? WTF? You'd better be teaching proven pro-fighting level skills for that; i.e. with a roster of fighters.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    $150 an hr? WTF? You'd better be teaching proven pro-fighting level skills for that; i.e. with a roster of fighters.
    really; I'm a licensed PT and I don't even charge that to people who are paying out of pocket (if it's insurance, that's a different story), and I guarantee noticeable results every single session;

when i read the $150 p/h i thought it was a little steep, but the more i think about it i'm not so sure that it is

the average MA instructor is the UK charges £40-50 p/h (around $80). thats for run of the mill instruction, swerving more towards McDojo than the higher echelons.

My instructor charges £45 per hour for each student privately, or £25 if your a member of his school.

TenTigers, i think, was saying that $150 is his standard charge for hours outside of class time. if you have a small group that is certainly not unreasonable.

Also he's in NYC - thats gotta be one of the most expensive places on the planet to live right?

If someone has trained for 10 years+ to become something at a University then they will be charging a lot more than $150 p/h. in the UK a supply teacher can earn more than that for reiterating lessons already taught by a teacher, effectively just 'qualified' supervision.

people will pay what they deem something to be worth. if his students didnt think he was worth $150 per lesson they wouldnt pay it. It must be worth it... They could always go to another Hung Gar teacher and probably pay $30 p/h. they choose not to.

plus, for some people MA's can increase their confidence and self belief tenfold. what price can you put on that?

I'm with tentigers on this - it is reasonable if your skill is at an advanced level

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    LSWCTN1 is correct-if a student comes to my school for privates, they are much cheaper, and if they are students enrolled at the school, cheaper still. The privates I teach where I drive to my students, are in an exclusive community in Long Island, NY.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    really; I'm a licensed PT and I don't even charge that to people who are paying out of pocket (if it's insurance, that's a different story), and I guarantee noticeable results every single session;
    Do you give happy endings?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Do you give happy endings?
    uh, he's a physical therapist not a rub&tug proprietor.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

uh, he's a physical therapist not a rub&tug proprietor.
    So he says....
    Not what I found out:

I see no tugging there. what are you on about?

Post more pictures please and thank you.

Kung Fu is good for you.

I see no tugging there. what are you on about?

Post more pictures please and thank you.

You wanna see pics of Chris tugging?
    Dude....

to say that this has spiraled somewhat out of control in my absence would be an understatement...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You wanna see pics of Chris tugging?
    Dude....
    hmmm, I'm pretty sure we're both using english as the modality of communication.

But in response, no, no I don't want to see that.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    to say that this has spiraled somewhat out of control in my absence would be an understatement...

Serves you right !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Serves you right !
    as if primordial chaos can maintain divine order...