Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Private lessons

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    a base range of 25-50 an hour depending upon your experience is fair for the first student. adding 5-10 an hour for each additional student is fair...especially if driving to them.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Getting back to the question/thread topic.

You get what you pay for (or should)

I don't negotiate fees.
    A customer comes/contacts my school
    I set up & give the required introductory lesson (free, mind you).
    Then it comes down to enrollment.
    Tell them what they will get and how much it costs.
    Any objections to price then I simply state we are not the school for you.

YOu don't see people going into high end stores and try to negotiate down the price.

So for "Privates" its the same for me.

Students enroll for 1 private a week (4 a month) and they can attend all the Group Classes for their level. ($200 a month, 50 per private session).

If a student wants to have additional privates then its still $50 per hour.
    (now this is for actual members/students of the school who are following the course requirements/curriculum)- I offer discounts for families.

If an individual wants to learn material outside their curriculum it is called a Seminar. There is the private and the group seminar. According to the topic the price varies but generally is a minimum of $100 for a hour. If the material takes more time or even sessions then the price increases accordingly.

Now this is all being done at my school. Traveling outside to lets say a customers house or business then add the $$

See pretty simple and professional.

Yes I'm worth it.

peace

eric
    Last edited by ngokfei; 10-01-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Have people pay what the market will bear. Yes I'm a capitalist pig. But really, I think that if we give people what they want and charge for it and they are willing to pay it... then why not? I mean, think of all the time and effort you invested in yourself to be where you are.
    Besides, one doesn't necessarily have to be a world champ in fighting, forms or whatever to properly convey the necessary information (moves, nuances, etc) to a student.
    Of course prices must be disclosed up front. I even give my students a list of things we will be training. But hey, you have a skill, charge for it.
    "Grow through Pain." - Tainan Mantis

Since these are privates, the rate shouldn't reflect a group rate at all. These people are paying not only for the lesson, but to not be part of a larger class. $30 is way too low: just the gas to get there eats up profits.

Using MK's system, $25-$40 per hour is fair for the work, but if you want specific times, unusual working hours, etc., the guy writing up the bid is not going to provide such services free unless he is desparate for work, and the union will flat out not agree to it if it means more is being done for the same money, which travelling to teach and keeping class sizes confined to one person does.

After all, for one hour, with everyone paying $35 for that hour and an average class size of ten people, a teacher makes $350 for his time. Now, tell him nine of those people can't come, and something needs to be adjusted, or the teacher is losing money or time.

If you're not confident enough in your ability or your skills to not charge what you feel you're worth, then perhaps you should not be teaching.

If you must apply a dollar value to something such as lessons in methods used to achieve kungfu, then there is of course myriad formulas you could use to come to some dollar value.

I'm not saying charge $500 an hour.

But, a massage therapist gets roughly $75 to $150 an hour flat rate and you go to them or there are some companies that will come to your home or offices. At least where I live, this is how it is.

Is a kungfu teacher worth at least as much as a massage therapist? You are after all, contributing to people's health.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Nothing special there. Generally the norm throughout the industry or even businesses in general.

They are the customer and you are the product.
    The customer is always right as long as they are willing to pay for the services they want.

Being a professional in all aspects is the key to success.

mom with 4 kids ?

I meant that gimme a break.