Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dit Da Jow for Makiwara Training

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Bagua View Post
    Goju,

not using medicine will cause issues later in life.

this is something you really have to think about.

No one thinks about it when they are young.

But you WILL suffer in your later years.

Funny, that all the older Okinawan Uechi Masters I met all use dit da jow when they train. I had one Master show me the herbs that we found where we were training and he showed us what ones would be good for bruise medicine.

was that the same as the"uechi grass" they use or other herbs

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Bagua View Post
    Goju,

not using medicine will cause issues later in life.

this is something you really have to think about.

No one thinks about it when they are young.

But you WILL suffer in your later years.

Funny, that all the older Okinawan Uechi Masters I met all use dit da jow when they train. I had one Master show me the herbs that we found where we were training and he showed us what ones would be good for bruise medicine.
    I agree with this. I have seen many videos posted of Morio Higaonna hitting rocks with his hand along with his makiwara training. What is often not mentioned or shown is that Morio went to China to trace the roots of Goju-Ryu and learned herbal remedies and uses a jow to go along with his hand conditioning.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Also, and odd question.

Do you ever warm the jow when applying it, or just keep stored in a cool dry place?
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

i know some who dont use it and dont report any damage(shrugs) maybe they are lucky but for safetys sake ill give it a go

did higaonna sensei say when he began using it? i know he was suppose to have started hitting the makiwara when he was around five i think so he may have had decades under his belt with makiwara training and no type of herbs and if so did he report any damage of his hands from not using jow?Or can dit da jow reverse damage one can get from training?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    i know some who dont use it and dont report any damage(shrugs) maybe they are lucky but for safetys sake ill give it a go

did higaonna sensei say when he began using it? i know he was suppose to have started hitting the makiwara when he was around five i think so he may have had decades under his belt with makiwara training and no type of herbs and if so did he report any damage of his hands from not using jow?Or can dit da jow reverse damage one can get from training?
    Higaonna didn't start training until age 14 with his father in Shorin Ryu. He switched to Goju-ryu at age 16. Not sure if he started makiwara first thing, or if he adhered to tradition and did basic conditioning (knuckle push ups, etc) before starting makiwara.

Kanryo Higaonna, also learned herbal remedies while in China and taught those. So I am not really sure if Morio learned them as passed on through his lineage, or if he "rediscovered" it when he started his research. I don't have an exact date on when Morio started his research to trance the roots of Goju-Ryu or when he started using linaments in his conditioning training.

Morio Higaonna was already using Jow back in the mid 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Morio Higaonna was already using Jow back in the mid 80's.
    Correct, here is a clip from the "Way of the Warrior" (BBC Documentary) which was done in the early 80's. It shows Higaonna using Jow, and makes a comment that he met someone "several years" before that showed him the Jow. So it is safe to assume that Higaonna has been using it since about the mid 70's at least. So for at least the first 20 yrs of his training (give or take) he did not use it, and the last 30 or so years he has used it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44aMG...eature=related