Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hershel Walker

Hershel Walker

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_yl...nkie&type=lgns

You know, after reading this article I'm starting to think something has to give with all this smack talk and ridiculous banter going back and forth between White and other fighters. I feel it is bad for the sport. Thoughts?
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

more insignificant trash talk.

should be more fight clubbish imo. less talk, more step up and no comments from teh peanut gallery promoters bench. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hmmm.....Who cares.

Why is it that in legitimate pro sports you do not have people entering in their late forties?

I'm trying to imagine Walker back in the NFL. He's in good shape so he might actually last 4-5 plays however he would never get though an entire game. Also, it's just a fact of life that at 47 you are a lot slower than at 22.

Dana White is starting to remind me of Vince McMahon. Hopefully he doesn't turn the UFC into the next WWE.

Quote Originally Posted by golgo View Post
    Dana White is starting to remind me of Vince McMahon. Hopefully he doesn't turn the UFC into the next WWE.
    i don't see how he could do that
    i mean it's not like he could build up a heel personality
    like say draft a wwe champ and put him in title contention in his third or fourth fight....
    dana's a putz
    the only guys in the ufc i feel are even worth watching are:
    wanderlei, vitor, shogun, anderson, machida
    but i'll probably miss their fights coz i just can't stomach the ufc anymore
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

He looks good for 47

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Hershel has always been a freak physical specimen and a pretty good TKD guy from what I recall.

at some point dana has to be a professional, and seperate himself for the banter.. the company is about the fights not him..

re

"I'll put dimes to donuts all the heavyweights on the show right now I will beat," Walker said of the cast, which includes a former IFL champion, three former UFC fighters, four NFL vets and Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson. "And that's pretty easy to say."

Sounds like herschel is getting senile.

The fighters should be getting paid a lot more.
    That six figure contract was (don't know if it still is this way) the total pay out if they won all of their fights over a two year period, 100,000 dollars. That's $50,ooo a year, not a lot to get excited over when you think how much Dana is getting off of them. Most on the under card for the first TUF finals were paid less than 5 thousand and complained that the TUF fighters got more at 5k to fight.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Just got this press release from STRIKEFORCE

Eager for Dana's reaction.
    HERSCHEL WALKER TO MAKE MMA DEBUT; NICK DIAZ AND CRIS CYBORG RETURN TO ACTION AT STRIKEFORCE EVENT IN SUNRISE, FLORIDA
    __________________________________________________ _______

Ticket Pre-Sale Begins Monday, December 7

NEW YORK (December 4, 2009) — Just months after the stunning announcement that he would try his hand at mixed martial arts (MMA), NFL and NCAA football legend, Herschel Walker, will make his highly-anticipated STRIKEFORCE MMA debut at BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida on Saturday, January 30. Superstar Nick Diaz and STRIKEFORCE world 145-pound women’s champion Cris Cyborg will co-headline a stacked fight card during STRIKEFORCE’s historic first visit to the state of Florida.

A special pre-sale ticket purchase opportunity will take place for “STRIKEFORCE Insider” e-newsletter subscribers (http://strikeforce.com/insider.html) beginning at 10:00 AM, ET Monday, Dec. 7, and ending at 10 PM, ET on Thursday, Dec. 10. ”STRIKEFORCE Insiders” will receive a special e-newsletter Friday, Dec. 4 with the pre-sale code.

Tickets officially go on-sale next Friday, Dec. 11 at the BankAtlantic Center ticket office as well as online at www.Ticketmaster.com or by phone at (800)745-3000.

Walker, the 1982 Heisman Trophy winner and two-time Pro Bowl competitor, will face an opponent to be announced in one of as many as five live, SHOWTIME® (10 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West Coast) televised bouts on the STRIKEFORCE card.

The 6 foot 1 inch, 220 pound former running back, who already holds a fifth degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and boasts additional training in the combat disciplines of Muay Thai and Kenpo, recently entered a 12 week MMA training camp at San Jose, California’s American Kickboxing Academy (AKA), which plays home to a host of the world’s greatest fighters, including STRIKEFORCE Lightweight Champion Josh “The Punk” Thomson and undefeated middleweight superstar Cung Le.

Walker, a 1999 College Hall of Fame inductee who was also selected to Sports Illustrated’s NCAA All-Century Team that year, has never been one to shy away from the road less traveled.

Following his junior year at the University of Georgia where he had set the NCAA freshman rushing record en route to an undefeated season and Sugar Bowl championship victory over Notre Dame, Walker, a born-again Christian, astonished the sports world by withdrawing from school to play professional ball in the newly formed United States Football League (USFL) rather than wait to enter the NFL draft after the graduation of his collegiate class, a rule maintained by the world’s largest professional football league at the time.

While the vast majority of football players typically follow an intensive weight room regimen, Walker relied on bodyweight exercise, conditioning, and calisthenics while maintaining very little body fat.

Walker was eventually drafted in 1985 by The Dallas Cowboys and established himself as a premiere running back in the league. In 1986, he was the driving force behind a historic trade that sent in to The Minnesota Vikings in exchange for five players and six draft picks.

In 12 NFL seasons with four different teams, he became the only player to gain 4,000 yards three different ways – rushing, receiving, and kickoff returns. He is one of six players to exceed 60 touchdowns rushing and 20 touchdowns receiving and is the only player in NFL history to register a 90 plus yard reception, a 90 plus yard run, and a 90 plus yard kickoff return, all in one season (1994).

Off the gridiron, Walker has achieved a handful of feats, including a seventh place finish in the 1992 Winter Olympics two-man bobsled competition. Now 47 years of age, the native of Wrightsville, Georgia will look to conquer a whole new world.

Diaz will make his first start since he submitted hard-hitting Scott “Hands of Steel” Smith with a rear naked choke in the third round (1:41) of their STRIKEFORCE: Lawler vs. Shields matchup at St. Louis, Missouri’s Scottrade Center on June 6, 2009. The 26 year old Diaz, a native of Stockton, California, will put a five fight win streak on the line.

Cyborg made history on August 15, 2009 when the 24-year-old native of Brazil stopped superstar Gina Carano with a punishing barrage of strikes in the first round (4:59) of their meeting to become the first-ever STRIKEFORCE women’s champion. The long-awaited showdown between Carano and Cyborg also marked the first women’s main event in the history of any major MMA promotion.

Doors at BankAtlantic Center open at 7 p.m. The first non-televised, preliminary card fight will begin at 8 p.m.

STRIKEFORCE in March 2009 signed a multi-year agreement to stage live MMA events on the premium cable television network. The promotion made its live, primetime debut on CBS with the “Fedor vs. Rogers” mega-fight that it co-promoted with M-1 Global on Saturday, November 7 and generated 5.46 million viewers for the main event between the world’s number one heavyweight, Fedor Emelianenko, and superstar Brett “The Grim” Rogers.

About STRIKEFORCE
    STRIKEFORCE (www.strikeforce.com) is a world-class mixed martial arts cage fight promotion which, on Friday, March 10, 2006, made history with its “Shamrock vs. Gracie” event, the first sanctioned mixed martial arts fight card in California state history. The star-studded extravaganza, which pitted legendary champion Frank Shamrock against Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Cesar Gracie at San Jose’s HP Pavilion, played host to a sold-out, record crowd of 18,265. Since 1995,
    STRIKEFORCE has been the exclusive provider of martial arts programming for ESPN and, after 12 years of success as a leading, world championship kickboxing promotion, the company unveiled its mixed martial arts series with “Shamrock vs. Gracie.” In May 2008, West Coast Productions, the parent company of STRIKEFORCE, partnered with Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainment (SVS&E), an entity created in 2000 to oversee all business operation aspects of the San Jose Sharks and HP Pavilion at San Jose.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    ok it's not real clear on who he's fighting. Anyone know?
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    ok it's not real clear on who he's fighting. Anyone know?
    Ahem...
    Walker, the 1982 Heisman Trophy winner and two-time Pro Bowl competitor, will face an opponent to be announced in one of as many as five live, SHOWTIME® (10 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West Coast) televised bouts on the STRIKEFORCE card
    Maybe it will be a ninja !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    ah didn't see that.

thanks for the eyes
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.