Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: KungFuMagazine.com’s NINJA STAR 2009

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Seriously Ray, we need to pay the rent. And how do we do that in October? Halloween sales. The martial arts industry is dwarfed by Halloween costumes sales here in the states and in the current economy, we'll do whatever crossover we can to stay solvent.

See? I'll even play. I can't win obviously. I'm DQed because I work here. But that doesn't mean I can't ninja all your sorry asses.

i know you have to pimp the products but...sorry...no originality....i see i have my weekend cut out for me.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

because it had to be done
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    cool promo image

somehow, I do not do well with beans. or something made out of corn flour.

I f a r t.

I'm surprised you didn't go with a mountain of Nachos.

another missed opportunity...

Believe it or not, Kung Fu Tacos are all the rage here. I wish I had something to do with it. They look like they're cashing in.

Kung Fu Tacos:
    post #1
    post #2
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Design Sifu View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't go with a mountain of Nachos.
    whenever I see Design Sifu's avatar, I think he's yelling at me

Here's a pic of Megan foxe on some set for asomething.

anyway, you can clearly see her kungfu taco here.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Now that I like!

I understand the need to pay rent, but I think advertisers would want to spend with you because you have a strong readership. I would hope your readership reads your magazine to stay abreast of current happening in the Kung Fu world (which could be boring and/or lame) or about exciting aspects of its history, real or imagined.

Honestly, there are still a couple old timers around worth talking too, to gain some insight from. And that's just from what I know about in Chinatown. Some teachers here have students competing in MMA-type events, I myself compete there as well as in Vale Tudo.... we claim Kung Fu. To me, that's more interesting than holding a photo contest of wankers dressing up as something they're not. Not to mention that ninpo is a Japanese style vs the Chinese nature of your core competency.

I'm just saying, it kind of turns my stomach. As a consumer, I see ninjas at the news stand I don't even bother. I know that publication is in a different universe than mine. And the martial universe I'm living in -- reality -- is growing by the day.... with a fan base that spends money.

Believe it or not, it's hard to resist a good Kung Fu story. I'd be willing to fly to NY and do a Old Masters story for you. I'm thinking Frank Yee, Robert Chu (though he's west coast now, verdad?), my master David Bond Chan, sifu Milton and Norton Chin, some of their students who fight. Guys like these and their students are the last hope. Coach Ross could be an interesting story too. Fighters are legit. Ninja's are whack.

Just saying.

But Ray, you'd look soooo cute in a ninja suit

I hear what your saying Ray. As you know, no one has fought more than me to document traditional old school kung fu masters and modern kung fu fighters transitioning to this new sport of MMA within martial arts publishing. You know that if you've kept up with my writing in our publications. However, ninjas comprise a major part of our economy. If you'll notice, there's always a full-page ninja ad in every issue. That's because we make a decent income selling ninja gear. You'd be surprised how many people train in ninjitsu seriously. When I first came to this company, I was shocked. And I am old enough to have seen the rise and fall of the great ninja craze in the 80's.

You also know that we don't have a lot of outside advertisers. This is because our parent company is Tiger Claw, so we don't advertise Tiger Claw competitors. And since Tiger Claw sells a wide selection of gear, that shuts out most of the major clients that might advertise in a martial arts magazine. To give you some perspective, Tiger Claw manufactures its own line of ninja gear. For a while, Tiger Claw also manufactured a line of shuai jiao gear, but it folded because there simply wasn't enough economic support. Tiger Claw also did an analysis (at my personal request) on importing International regulation sanshou gear. It simply was not cost effective at that time. It still isn't for either sport, sad to say.

That all being said, I'm very serious about martial arts, more so than most because it's my bread and butter. It's been my sole source of income for over two decades now. But I'm also serious about having a little fun. After all, if martial arts isn't fun, why bother? Some of us have fun knocking other people out. Some of us have fun posing in ninja outfits. It's all good. To quote Ledger's Joker, 'why so serious?'

As for you contributing an article, you're welcome to do so just like everyone. Here is our submission guidelines, for your reference.

On a final note, ninja sales are already up for the month, so that part of this promotion has shown some early promise. We're looking forward to more entries soon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

the problem with ninjas is this:

a: most of them aren't women
    b: of the women that are, we don't see enough ninja taco action from them
    c: they have a bad habit of attacking one at a time
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Enter to win

You can be the first KungFuMagazine.com's NINJA STAR.

Ninjette of the Week: Ms. Tess

Ninja Kill the Week: Ninja Grappling Hook

Ninja Poseur of the Week: Ninja CEO

I'm getting more into this contest as the female pics come in.

And I here ya Gene. No dollars = no fun.

I appreciate your comments, Ray

And I too appreciate the ninjettes. We'll have a Ninjette of the week for the duration of the contest, just for your inspiration and enjoyment.

This is not an official entry (only Ninjastar posts those), but it's nice to see that Lio is getting in on the action today:

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips