Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sifu's in nevada & oregon

Thumbs up Sifu's in nevada & oregon

Hi guys,

A close friend of mine lives in Las Vegas, Nevada and is looking for a Tai Chi Sifu.

My Nephew in Portland,Oregon is looking fo a hard style KF teacher.

Know anyone you would recomend ?

Thank you

Ron Shewmaker
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Wink My Recommendations

Well, I live in Vegas, so I can give you an idea of what's out here. There are a few schools of kung fu, and none of course specialize in Taiji, but they offer the classes. The school's I would reccomend are as follows(not necessarily in this order):

* Lohan School of Shaolin: This school (in Chinatown in the alley behind Kung Fu restaurant) specializes in Northern Praying Mantis and Northern Shaolin. Sifu Baugh was taught by Kam Yuen and Kenneth Hui, Ark Yueh Wong, Hsu Hong Chi, and a few other guys I don't remember. I think they teach Yang and Chen Style Taiji. They also run a temple for buddhism and I think taoism.

*Las Vegas Kung Fu Academy: This school (in the Henderson Area near Green Valley Ranch) is run by Kevin Kawada and his wife Renee. They primarily teach Fut Gar. I think they teach Yang and Chen Taiji. Both the LVKFA and LSoS teach lion dancing

*Chinese Kung Fu: If your familiar with Tang Shou Tao, this is the Vegas branch (on Nellis near the Air Force Base). Dale Shigenaga was a student of Hsu Hong Chi, so his Taiji is I think the Wuhao branch.

*UNLV Chinese Martial Arts Association: Believe it or not, we do have a kung fu club in Vegas. The Club coordinator Keoni Everington specializes Baguazhang and Meihuazhuang, but he teaches Northern Shaolin, Xingyi, and Chen (Xinyi Hunyuan style of Feng Zhiqiang) Sun, Wu and Yang Taiji. He was taught by Sui Yunjiang and Bryant Fong, and studied a few years in China. Not a formal school, but he runs it like one, plus he spends hours after class training with you. Located in the Wellness Recreation area behind the Thomas and Mack Center.

PM me if you have questions. Hoped I helped you any.
    Last edited by Tao Of The Fist; 10-12-2009 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Locations mainly
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

Thumbs up

Thank you - Tao Of The Fist - for the information, I will pass this on to him and his son.

My best to U

Ron

Hello Sifu Ron...
    I no long have a school in Portland, Or. (for now)

But the only real kung fu school there left is Sifu Gregory Fong http://i-chuan.net/ He teaches down in China Town at the CCBA at 315 NW Davis, Portland, Oregon
    He is a good teacher and his students are not bad!

For LV, Nv I would send him to the LoHans. (Lohan School of Shaolin) Sifu Baugh is a really good teacher... This is my 1st kung fu school...

Please tell him to "stay away" from Lee's Academy Of Chinese Shaolin Kung Fu - Vancouver, Washington. I WOULD NOT SEND ANYONE THERE! His linage is not real. (Video school) Plus from what I have seen of his miss informed students there not any good. (note: it's not because of the students. they try with what they get.) you can look this guy up on here and see old treads on this guy! (not good)

If you have any more ???? on schools in that area just give me a pm or call!

~Jason
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

kung fu in Portland

Sifu Ron, I agree with Jason that the man to go to in Portland is Greg Fong. He teaches Praying Mantis and Yiquan as well as both Chen and Yang family Taijiquan. He is very good.

John
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Sifu Baugh and Dale Shigenaga would be the best bet for Tai Chi.

There is also Jack Soderberg at the Creat Develop and Flow Academy. He teaches JKD concepts with Lama Pai Crane base, I studied under him for a bit, while living in Vegas, and he is an EXCELLENT teacher, and he has a good group of students under him, who are awesome at helping the newbies. He was teaching Tai Chi and Chi Kung as well as a couple Yoga classes, when I lived out there, almost three years ago.

I heard Sifu Jack's Tai Chi and Chi Kung is good, although I never took those classes. The Lama Pai Classes are awesome for learning to defend yourself, and Sifu Jack has some interesting training methods. I can't say enough about that school, it's on Rainbow.

I believe Mike Patterson gives private lessons only in Vegas now, he is Dale's kung fu brother, but Mike has a stronger rep.

And of course shaolin monk, Shi Xing Wei I believe still teaches there. He teaches Shaolin Kung Fu, San Da, and Tai Chi. Yeah, he still teaches out there, I just found his website, you can google it easily, his school moved to W. Spring Mountain.

There are also a lot of great WC teachers out there, if your friend is interested.

Thumbs up Tx

THANK YOU EVERYONE

I'll pass this on,

My best to U

Ron

Talking Mike Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Apprentice View Post
    Sifu Baugh and Dale Shigenaga would be the best bet for Tai Chi.

There is also Jack Soderberg at the Creat Develop and Flow Academy. He teaches JKD concepts with Lama Pai Crane base, I studied under him for a bit, while living in Vegas, and he is an EXCELLENT teacher, and he has a good group of students under him, who are awesome at helping the newbies. He was teaching Tai Chi and Chi Kung as well as a couple Yoga classes, when I lived out there, almost three years ago.

I heard Sifu Jack's Tai Chi and Chi Kung is good, although I never took those classes. The Lama Pai Classes are awesome for learning to defend yourself, and Sifu Jack has some interesting training methods. I can't say enough about that school, it's on Rainbow.

I believe Mike Patterson gives private lessons only in Vegas now, he is Dale's kung fu brother, but Mike has a stronger rep.

And of course shaolin monk, Shi Xing Wei I believe still teaches there. He teaches Shaolin Kung Fu, San Da, and Tai Chi. Yeah, he still teaches out there, I just found his website, you can google it easily, his school moved to W. Spring Mountain.

There are also a lot of great WC teachers out there, if your friend is interested.
    We were not so impressed with Mike Pattersons Kung Fu. IMPO looks mostly a made up style with no real solid fighting survival base. I would consider this a dance more then a fighting style. Just my personal opinion.
    Last edited by Benkungfu; 12-25-2010 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyOndymus View Post
    Hsing-I is made up?
    No My Opinion is I would like to know just who was Mike Pattersons Teacher because it does not look like a fighting style to me.

Portland: Gregory Fong is legit. If thats not his cup of tea he can check out northwest fighting arts, if he isnt set on cma, he should look into Obukan Judo last i checked obukan is non profit 5 or 10 bucks a month for serious judo training, its far out north though so the scheduling can be hard for some. tough to top that price and quality though.
    Last edited by Lucas; 12-23-2010 at 02:29 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Benkungfu View Post
    We were not so impressed with Mike Pattersons Kung Fu. IMPO looks mostly a made up style with no real solid fighting survival base. I would consider this a dance more then a fighting style. Just my personal opinion.
    you seem to be going around editing your posts.

Seems you have things to hide.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Benkungfu View Post
    No My Opinion is I would like to know just who was Mike Pattersons Teacher because it does not look like a fighting style to me.
    The styles he teachers aren't that uncommon. Not sure where you're getting the dancing comparison from what I've seen online, and he gives the names of his teachers too. You sure you're not thinking of someone else?

this net ghost is just sniping at Shifu Patterson and myself for calling him on it. She is also doing this on Bullshido where the mods there have removed the foolishness.

Sad to say that Bullshido has better standards than KFO. Fools are not tolerated there and trolls and their posts end up in their own section where they are mocked. KFO could learn something from that.

You want to start calling people out, you should first let everyone know who you are. Seems fair, right to know your accuser.
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 12-28-2010 at 04:40 AM.

Ah, I come back from the mountains and a snow storm and I find someone actually questioning Mike Patterson?

Nothing has changed I see.....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Dave,

its always the net ghosts who bray the loudest.

No big deal but it is funny when some fool goes on a snipe hunt against a known, very public teacher while hiding behind KFO forum anonymity.

Sad.