Thread: Wushu Organizations

Wushu Organizations

Does anyone have recommendations for a tcma organization? What are the pros and cons for athletic federations in your experience?

I like Chin Wu and Wu Tan, but don't want to burden my students with required forms from other systems. No interest in modern wushu. I considered the World Kuoshu Federation but it is competition based. My students cannot afford to spend hundreds of dollars to visit another state or region to attend events. A Canadian association would be desirable if it accepts outlanders. I can drive to the Yukon in a day, and B.C. in two or three. I'm not sure what organizations are still viable in Hong Kong.

My interest is mostly social. Thus far, I have avoided MA orgs except for the defunct San Francisco White Crane Association. But it would be nice if my students could be inspired to make friends with other groups and understand that CMA is a larger world than individual schools and sects.

The KFM forums have been great for international contacts, but I don't get to train with any of you.

Any input will be much appreciated.

jd
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Hong Kong would the Hong Kong Chinese Martial Arts Association.

One of the oldest in Hong Kong
    Kune Belay Sau

Just like when your student's come to your school ask yourself, "How does this benefit me?"

Pros - build comaraderie between schools - can help to create a turn key business - meet and train with other instructors

Cons - required material - membership dues - politics - mandatory meetings - forced to compete in tournaments - must follow organization's operational protocol

These are just a few immediate examples. The biggest positive is organizations can possibly help to organize the business end which will in turn grow your school. But, it comes at a hefty price with sometimes outrageous dues and the biggest one, freedom. Remember as instructors we are the father figures to our students, it is our job to develop a program that is in the best interest for them. So again I say from the student's perspective, "How does this benefit me?"

interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    Just like when your student's come to your school ask yourself, "How does this benefit me?"

Pros - build comaraderie between schools - can help to create a turn key business - meet and train with other instructors

Cons - required material - membership dues - politics - mandatory meetings - forced to compete in tournaments - must follow organization's operational protocol

These are just a few immediate examples. The biggest positive is organizations can possibly help to organize the business end which will in turn grow your school. But, it comes at a hefty price with sometimes outrageous dues and the biggest one, freedom. Remember as instructors we are the father figures to our students, it is our job to develop a program that is in the best interest for them. So again I say from the student's perspective, "How does this benefit me?"
    I am thinking of starting my own class in the future and have some of the same questions... thanks for the heads-up comparison!!!!!

Annddd... how about access to reasonable insurance??????
    .... Skip

Insurance. This is a tricky question because cost and coverage can depend on several factors.
    For example:
    1. Are you going to be hosting tournaments?
    2. Will your students be sparring at your school?
    3. How many employees will be on the tax books?
    4. Is your location in retail or industrial?
    5. State laws.
    6. Is your school in a franchise and does the franchise offer coverage?
    7. What catagory does your business fall under? ie. corp, LLc, LLp, Sole prop.
    (these can affect coverage)
    8. What other features does your school offer? ( I know a school in Ut that offers day care during non-class hours)
    9. Will you be open full time or part time?

If you were to play it totally safe you'd go broke just paying for all the insurance. Do a Google search for martial arts insurance and small business insurance in your local area. Make a list of the cost and features of policies from at least 10 insurance companies. Narrow it down to about three companies that you feel will best represent your school and set up a meeting with an agent from each. Don't rush into your purchase; take your time and do your research. There's no sense in throwing away your income paying for coverage you don't need.

insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    Insurance. This is a tricky question because cost and coverage can depend on several factors.
    For example:
    1. Are you going to be hosting tournaments?
    2. Will your students be sparring at your school?
    3. How many employees will be on the tax books?
    4. Is your location in retail or industrial?
    5. State laws.
    6. Is your school in a franchise and does the franchise offer coverage?
    7. What catagory does your business fall under? ie. corp, LLc, LLp, Sole prop.
    (these can affect coverage)
    8. What other features does your school offer? ( I know a school in Ut that offers day care during non-class hours)
    9. Will you be open full time or part time?

If you were to play it totally safe you'd go broke just paying for all the insurance. Do a Google search for martial arts insurance and small business insurance in your local area. Make a list of the cost and features of policies from at least 10 insurance companies. Narrow it down to about three companies that you feel will best represent your school and set up a meeting with an agent from each. Don't rush into your purchase; take your time and do your research. There's no sense in throwing away your income paying for coverage you don't need.
    Thanks! That's great!

I've been talking to GLW here in Houston about that and have joined the AAU CMA here as a member to check them out, they may be a good resource, they do have school insurance.

Obviously, from your list - it is determined by where I wind up teaching and what insurance they mite or mite not have what coverage I may or may not need myself.

I am self-employed in my own business, so I am used to a very similar process in selecting insurance for my firm. But I don't want any of those folks involved in my personal life, so it's a start over for me...

I am completely at the other end of the spectrum from you. I will continue to make a living (I hope) as I have, and this will be a new side venture to enable instructing. At a minimum it has to breakeven. Hopefully, it will pay for my taiji fees. I will start with one taiji beginner class somewhere nearby and see where it goes. That may be all there is for a long time....
    .... Skip

each style usually has its own organisation, locally, nationally and then internationally.

so depending on you and your school interests, you may sign on a few styles.

I am not belonging to any organisation.

however, I am familiar with several organisations based in Taiwan.

so look whatever is available locally.

then go from there.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    There are Martial Arts proffessional organizations that provide business and marketing strategies, networking, billing, etc and do not carry the burden of politics.
    Some organizations, Federations, etc do not "allow" your students to compete or participate at other organizations' tournaments, events, etc. I prefer not to join these groups. I don't need their "credibility" or their approval. My Gung-Fu stands on its own merit, and I have the luxury and the freedom to compete wherever I like.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.