Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help with training

help with training

hi im a soldier who was recently stationed in korea for two years there i practiced plum blossom mantis kung fu, i studied for about 2-3 hours a day for about 6 days a week and i learned 8 unarmed forms and 5 weapons forms, one day a week i would devote to iron palm and other conditioning training. now i find myself at ft hood tx with no teacher and am forced to train myself, with no martial arts background before i started kung fu. i dont really know what to do as when i was with my teacher in korea i was always learning somthing new, now i just practice my forms, basics, and iron palm alone; my teacher would always tell me that just being good at forms dosent make you a good fighter, but i dont know what else to do. should i find another chinese martial arts teacher even though im not very good at what i know now? how many forms is too many forms or too little forms? some people say they know a hundred forms and others are good fighters that only know a few. im kind of stuck not knowing what to do just practicing forms has gotten a little easy so ive started wearing my issued body armor which weighs about 30 lbs, i hear some forms of kung fu wear wieghts like that, but im afraid that could cause damage to my knees. anyway ive already asked a dozen questions so ill end this.

any help would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by plummantisgeek View Post
    hi im a soldier who was recently stationed in korea for two years there i practiced plum blossom mantis kung fu, i studied for about 2-3 hours a day for about 6 days a week and i learned 8 unarmed forms and 5 weapons forms, one day a week i would devote to iron palm and other conditioning training. now i find myself at ft hood tx with no teacher and am forced to train myself, with no martial arts background before i started kung fu. i dont really know what to do as when i was with my teacher in korea i was always learning somthing new, now i just practice my forms, basics, and iron palm alone; my teacher would always tell me that just being good at forms dosent make you a good fighter, but i dont know what else to do. should i find another chinese martial arts teacher even though im not very good at what i know now? how many forms is too many forms or too little forms? some people say they know a hundred forms and others are good fighters that only know a few. im kind of stuck not knowing what to do just practicing forms has gotten a little easy so ive started wearing my issued body armor which weighs about 30 lbs, i hear some forms of kung fu wear wieghts like that, but im afraid that could cause damage to my knees. anyway ive already asked a dozen questions so ill end this.

What part of Korea were you in?! I trained while I was there in Song Tan City and worked with Bong Soo Han's student (the only white guy that taught Hapkido in Korea), the local Wushu coach, and the local TKD master. All great people!

Now that you're in a different place though...your location is going to play a big role. Of course you can continue to practice what you already know with the Plum Blossum...but if you wish to get better at FIGHTING the forms alone do not equate to fighting skill....regardless of the number of forms.

What matters in fighting, is the understanding of fighting fundamentals, training to instictiveness in technique, and sparring and fighting to a degree as close to the real thing as safely possible.

Take a look around to see what's around Ft. Hood. There might be some programs on the post by one of your fellow soldiers. Otherwise, ask around and look around locally. Training is addictive, and if you want to continue training I'd say to find the best thing in the area. Learning something different isn't bad...its just different. Consider it another tool for your toolbox.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

You're on a military base and you can't find martial arts training?

dude, take a look at the bulletin board in the mess hall now and then. lol

you can still practice your stuff from korea and get training.

there is likely more than a few fully equipped gyms at fort hood an dprobably all sorts of guys into training various martial arts.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

FT Hood has MA programs coming out of the wazoo !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Is this place still around?

American Martial Arts
    2700 S. Fort Hood Rd. Suite H
    Killeen, Texas 76542
    Contact #: 254-554-8703

Supposed to be a 7* school.

Otehrwise, there won't be much Chinese martial arts in that area. You're probably looking at least a 1 to 1.5 hour drive to find someone.

Practice the forms you have on your own, but look for the combatives group on post. There should be at least a Level 2 instructor there. You'll be able to spar with them.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 11-09-2009 at 12:52 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blog Entries
    now i find myself at ft hood tx with no teacher and am forced to train myself,
    Are you still alive?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-09-2009 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Are you still alive?
    too soon dude.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Are you still alive?
    WOW....
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

i wouldn't worry about it... soon the current administration of the american government(like the rest of them) will probably ship you off to some distant battle zone to fight an imaginary and unseen foe who lurks in the caves and caverns - if history is any measure of what might happen, the odds are not looking too hot... be safe and stay well... even if you don't know why you're gunning down the insurgents, just realize that it's all in the best interest of national security. did you know the those stationed at bases in south korea have like a 2 second life expectancy or something, in the event of an nuclear exchange on the korean peninsula?? i think it's time the armed forces focused on protecting the american civilian population.

Blog Entries
    Hope you are safe from that shooting incident. If you don't mind to drive to Austin (40 miles away), your options will be many.

1. ...in korea i was always learning somthing new, now i just practice my forms, basics, and iron palm alone;

2. my teacher would always tell me that just being good at forms dosent make you a good fighter, but i dont know what else to do. should i find another chinese martial arts teacher even though im not very good at what i know now?

3. how many forms is too many forms or too little forms? some people say they know a hundred forms and others are good fighters that only know a few.

4. im kind of stuck not knowing what to do just practicing forms has gotten a little easy so ive started wearing my issued body armor which weighs about 30 lbs, i hear some forms of kung fu wear wieghts like that, but im afraid that could cause damage to my knees. anyway ive already asked a dozen questions so ill end this.

Hey, sounds like a great start to your Martial Arts career.
    As I'm sure you realise, this is your own trip. Taking ownership of your training and training with active thought on how to evolve and improve it is the hallmark of a good martial artist. Comes down to the principles of training, understanding your lessons, and training again.

1. Training forms and exercises alone is part of the deal. Goes back to making it your own and not relying on others to carry your development. A classic example is Ray's thread "going to fight tonight" Some activity uses a team to carry each individual. I find MA to be the opposite. There is no alternative, if you want to master the forms you have to practice them through the boredom barrier. Just add other training to keep it interesting. Good TCMA teachers are hard to find, it may be awhile.

2. Your teacher is right. I disagree with many of the others here, in that I believe that TCMA, good TCMA, will train you to fight, but it takes time and you have to fight. There is a great argument to take up some grappling and ring fighting, especially considering your current situation and the likelihood of finding some. But, again, you have to make the decision: Do I want pure fighting skills, or do I want more of a mix of martial arts training. What are your objectives, short and long term?

Ft Hood would have heaps of MA, I'm sure. Check the Recreation and Welfare Centre. The gyms probably have bulletin boards as well. Never found a shortage of MA training on Army Bases, for sure.

3. More forms is not more knowledge. As the saying goes, "do you fear the man who has practised 10,000 different kicks once each, or the man that practised one kick 10,000 times?" Good forms have several levels of training. One form can become 5 different executions, with varied pace, and varied sets of combinations between the pauses, etc. Always look deeper.

4. Sounds reasonable to me. The training principle is to work up in the weight at a decent pace, don't over train, and you shouldn't injure yourself. Some of the weight trainers may offer better advice on this one, its just my experience.

Good luck
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Hope you are safe from that shooting incident.
    i realize it looks considerate in pixels, but half a neuron would have told you that if he is posting he obviously was safe.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    FT Hood has MA programs coming out of the wazoo !
    The thing with military bases is that they rarely have any classes for Chinese Martial Arts. That was the problem I ran into when I was in the Navy. Specially in Killeen. Probably tons or Korean and Japanese arts. I bet there is a Shoalin Do or Shaolin Kempo nearby though.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    i wouldn't worry about it... soon the current administration of the american government(like the rest of them) will probably ship you off to some distant battle zone to fight an imaginary and unseen foe who lurks in the caves and caverns - if history is any measure of what might happen, the odds are not looking too hot... be safe and stay well... even if you don't know why you're gunning down the insurgents, just realize that it's all in the best interest of national security. did you know the those stationed at bases in south korea have like a 2 second life expectancy or something, in the event of an nuclear exchange on the korean peninsula?? i think it's time the armed forces focused on protecting the american civilian population.
    Hi Uki,
    From your comment, you certainly sound like you don't believe in the war.
    Fair enough, wish it weren't so myself. I went through the Vietnam years, even have the love beads and peace symbols still in a drawer somewhere for Halloween Parties.

I just wanted to comment off topic with my opinion as well:
    An elusive foe is not an imaginary foe. Those are hard men, dedicated and skilled, well beyond our average grunt. Anybody going out to face them deserves my respect.
    I may have issues with the people that send them, but not the men and women who answer the call. I've got students there right now, kids, and I wish they weren't. Wishes....

- The Taliban is directly linked to the attack on 911, at least as sponsors and possibly co-conspirators. I believe we take it to them, or they bring it to us - the best way to protect home is fight abroad, in somebody elses home.

History is not on our side. Its a worry.

I lived for 15 years less than an hour tank drive from the East German Frontier. Targeted by probably our own hardward because we knew there was no chance of escape or stopping them, just slowing them down. Its good for the soul.

There is lots of ground zero in the states too. I'm sure there are targets in Penn, maybe a physics lab at Penn State? Big coal mine? Maybe even a bit of Steel comes out of Penn still? Its 2 minutes for everybody, mate. Maybe down in OZ we might get an additional few minutes, our secret stuff is out in the middle of the desert, and the winners will want a holiday destination.

OK, you trolled me. Not a bad effort.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia