Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ancient wisdom/modern fighting

Lightbulb ancient wisdom/modern fighting

taking into account that this is a martial arts forum and that a great many of individuals somehow tie themselves into bodhidharma, i have to ask a simple question: if tamo were here today, what do you believe he would rather be interested in?? - ones egotistical assumption that ones martial art is better than someone elses or if one had, in fact, reached the ultimate reality of practicing the martial arts?
    Last edited by uki; 08-04-2009 at 11:50 AM. Reason: darn...

That post is ripe with egotistical assumptions. Right from the get go its tone implies that one should come to the conclusion that modern combatives are "bad" and/or "wrong" and that the "ultimate reality" is somehow training for something in theory but never applying it in reality but somehow becoming a master of that thing.... and since you are so wise to notice it, that you are that guy.

Get off your high horse. No amount of words or political debate will make you what you want to appear to be. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    He wouldn’t be bothered about any MA’s as he would be to busy meditating & attaining enlistment.

a) Fish

b) Cut bait
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    That post is ripe with egotistical assumptions. Right from the get go its tone implies that one should come to the conclusion that modern combatives are "bad" and/or "wrong" and that the "ultimate reality" is somehow training for something in theory but never applying it in reality but somehow becoming a master of that thing.... and since you are so wise to notice it, that you are that guy.

Get off your high horse. No amount of words or political debate will make you what you want to appear to be. In fact, it's quite the opposite.
    Wow. Obviously this has some stupid history that probably stemmed from a stupid arguement but we will never get anywhere in this forum if we hold on to the bitterness of the past rather than the topic in front of us.

Modern combatives are not wrong however modern sport combatives that believe that they have all the answers are. MMA has taught us that you can't not train hard and wrong and still be a good fighter. Before then we all had thought that our style was the best and that training it once a week or so was fine. Then once we got into the ring all that changed which is a good thing.

However, while MMA started off good people like Dana White(and the fools that follow him) are ruining it. It has become a sport and lost many of the reasons that made it good to begin with. It has become so egotistical that it has become a part of the d o u c h e b a g culture and said d o u c h e s are ruining it even further. There is a reason that Rorian Gracie left and it wasn't because he's getting old.

Now it's all "if it fails in the ring it's cr@p". Perhaps one of the most ignorantly dumb thing that has been said in the MA community since "Is Shaolin Do for real?"
    Congrats you have now fallen in the pitfall that all MA was in back in the 80s. Time travel is fun right?

Unfortunately you may never have the privlege of being schooled by a real martial artist that would force you to see that you really dont have the ultimate style of anything. The only way to stop this is to admit that you suck. You dont have all the answers and you may never have them. All you can do is train and train and train. Then train some more. Then maybe you can understand why MMA was created in the first place. Maybe then you can look at TMA with awe instead of giggles because while you were giggling, someone with old school skill could kill you and all the rules in the world wont stop them.

If you like to fight in the ring, more power to you but dont ever assume that you are better than another fighter(sport or real) cause even a slow fat guy with a knife or a gun can change your viewpoint real quick.

Now I just realized that you may not have been talking about this issue but that is something that I had to get off of my chest and you gave me the perfect outlet.

As far as Tamo goes, he would probably be real upset at all of us that are claiming him at all considering that the majority of us are not Chan Buddhists. First I figure that he would go after Shaolin for being more about tourism and less about Chan. Then he would go back to his cave to meditate on how he could help us to save ourselves from the pitfalls of desire.

It's funny. It's TCMA guys that are always the ones talking about all of these topics.

I've met a lot of real good martial artists in my life. The best ones I know, in their chosen field, don't fight. They're all experts at the thing they do and it brings them joy. And they're secure.

I know a real good BJJ black belt in San Juan that would be great.... he doesn't fight nor cares too. I drive out to see him sometimes for the pleasure of training with him.

My internal master is an old man. He hasn't really fought the whole time I know him. I met him in his 60s. I go to see him because he's an expert as his thing.

Real martial artists are more secure than this. It's this Kung Fu movie myth that people have to be the best, etc. It's young guys who are scared to fight (not in the ring, just normal comparing) that are self conscious, and create all these walls about why they don't. And they don't have to. But don't knock it. All this back and forth is silly and childish.

Just shut up and train.

Quote Originally Posted by Mano Mano View Post
    He wouldn’t be bothered about any MA’s as he would be to busy meditating & attaining enlistment.
    Enlisting in what?!

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Enlisting in what?!
    the chan buddhist mouthboxing army of course!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

And people need to stop imposing their impressions on what some ancient historical figure would think about this and that.... that's retarded. Again, all MA discussions come down to this: shut the mouth (in this case, stop the bull$hit typing) and train. That's it.

If you think you have something super special and need others to know about it, or, you want to really go see if your training is at a certain level or standard, you go out to compare. That's it.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    It's funny. It's TCMA guys that are always the ones talking about all of these topics.

I've met a lot of real good martial artists in my life. The best ones I know, in their chosen field, don't fight. They're all experts at the thing they do and it brings them joy. And they're secure.

I know a real good BJJ black belt in San Juan that would be great.... he doesn't fight nor cares too. I drive out to see him sometimes for the pleasure of training with him.

My internal master is an old man. He hasn't really fought the whole time I know him. I met him in his 60s. I go to see him because he's an expert as his thing.

Real martial artists are more secure than this. It's this Kung Fu movie myth that people have to be the best, etc. It's young guys who are scared to fight (not in the ring, just normal comparing) that are self conscious, and create all these walls about why they don't. And they don't have to. But don't knock it. All this back and forth is silly and childish.

Just shut up and train.
    QFT, and probably the most mature and insightful post I've ever had the pleasure to read from you, Ray.
    It answers the question:"if these guys are so good, why don't they ever go into the ring?" Ray, having met two of them, the guys who have attained real skill and mastery, and yet feel no need to compete, but would rather keep to themselves and perfect their art, understands them.
    -while young fools scoff at them.
    "The Moon is not affected by the baying of wolves."
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

喝!

... The Buddha would have definitely been ****ed off by the character posting limit.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    hawt? (drink?)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I don't know Ray...Maybe I missed something between you and uki, but it seems that most people have a strong ego attachment to their MA of choice regardless of whether it is TCMA or MMA. Not everyone is as open minded as you regardless of the few exceptional marital artists you have met.

Perhaps you are reading more into the question than is there!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    I don't know Ray...Maybe I missed something between you and uki,
    i touched an exposed nerve on him... OUCH!!
    but it seems that most people have a strong ego attachment to their MA of choice regardless of whether it is TCMA or MMA.
    ray doesn't seem to acknowledge this though... he even thinks i am some kind of "tradionalist" or something - he can't seem to get past the labels yet.
    Perhaps you are reading more into the question than is there!
    anyone with any background in the figure afore-mentioned would see this as being one of the most simplest questions one could ask...
    Again, all MA discussions come down to this: shut the mouth (in this case, stop the bull$hit typing) and train. That's it.
    LOL... but what is the purpose of training?
    If you think you have something super special and need others to know about it, or, you want to really go see if your training is at a certain level or standard, you go out to compare. That's it.
    ummm... i thought you said that's it in the above post... which one is it - that one or this one?

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    taking into account that this is a martial arts forum and that a great many of individuals somehow tie themselves into bodhidharma, i have to ask a simple question: if tamo were here today, what do you believe he would rather be interested in?? - ones egotistical assumption that ones martial art is better than someone elses or if one had, in fact, reached the ultimate reality of practicing the martial arts?
    He'd open an Ashram and bang all the purty chicks
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up