Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrist weights/ankle weights training

I wouldn't waste your time with ankle/wrist weights. My guess is that you are after some form of muscular endurance in order to improve you MA training. The best thing is to start lifting or doing Body Weight exercises. Improving the muscles in one's arms and the distal parts of one's legs (ie. below the knee) should come only as an after effect on working specific multi-joint exercises. These multi-joints are the shoulder/rotator-cuff, hips, knees, and then the core. This covers the entire body, and will develop the proper muscular endurance necessary for martial arts (or any physical endeavor). Plus, you should be lifting as fast as possible with as much weight as you can.

Start doing some reading. Look up Strength and Conditioning Coaches like Alwyn Cosgrove, Robert dos Remedios, Mike Boyle, Chad Waterbury, etc. These guys know what you need for the proper athletic requirements in order to be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    I wouldn't waste your time with ankle/wrist weights. My guess is that you are after some form of muscular endurance in order to improve you MA training. The best thing is to start lifting or doing Body Weight exercises. Improving the muscles in one's arms and the distal parts of one's legs (ie. below the knee) should come only as an after effect on working specific multi-joint exercises. These multi-joints are the shoulder/rotator-cuff, hips, knees, and then the core. This covers the entire body, and will develop the proper muscular endurance necessary for martial arts (or any physical endeavor). Plus, you should be lifting as fast as possible with as much weight as you can.

Start doing some reading. Look up Strength and Conditioning Coaches like Alwyn Cosgrove, Robert dos Remedios, Mike Boyle, Chad Waterbury, etc. These guys know what you need for the proper athletic requirements in order to be the best.
    Bruce Lee commonly used the little battery operated tinge units that sports doctors use on athletes with casts and pulled stuff. I seen him with one set up on his chest to work his pecs. He said he just didn't always have time for muscle building. He claimed that in 15 minutes it was like doing 500 push ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Bruce Lee commonly used the little battery operated tinge units that sports doctors use on athletes with casts and pulled stuff. I seen him with one set up on his chest to work his pecs. He said he just didn't always have time for muscle building. He claimed that in 15 minutes it was like doing 500 push ups.
    Do you have a source on that? I don't ever remember reading that from his notes, and I only remember seeing it from that ridiculous excuse for a biopic they made in the nineties.

Do you have a source on that? I don't ever remember reading that from his notes, and I only remember seeing it from that ridiculous excuse for a biopic they made in the nineties.

I seen it on TV too. But it was Bruce himself that was saying it. Also there have been others that have told it too. I think it was pretty inovative of him. It has been quite a long time now, but back in the late 60's and early 70's Bruce made most of the National Karate tournements, Along with Chuch Norris and a few other big names, and in an interview with Bruce he made comment about his different training aids. Seeing that he was also a business man he often had to do such things in order to get in the muscle training he required. Bruce was shrewd that way. Of course he worked with weights and such, but you have to admit that he was pretty smart by using the tinge units. They have been around for a while. I have 2 of them. I bought them back in 1772 and they still work quite well. I just use them for sore muscles though.

LCP

do yourself a favour do not read anything by waterbury, that guys programs are useless if you are training for martial arts, and he is a massive fraud too.

oh and on a side note i too have seen old footage of brue lee using those machines

do yourself a favour do not read anything by waterbury, that guys programs are useless if you are training for martial arts, and he is a massive fraud too.
    I heard him talk once, about 9 months ago, and he seemed pretty legit. I don't think that he would have been speaking at that clinic had he been a fraud. However, I don't read too much of him anyways myself.

I will have to look for video on Bruce using those tinge units. I wonder how well they work....

I heard him talk once, about 9 months ago, and he seemed pretty legit. I don't think that he would have been speaking at that clinic had he been a fraud. However, I don't read too much of him anyways myself.

I will have to look for video on Bruce using those tinge units. I wonder how well they work....
    There were a few threads over on MMA.tv about him stealing programs and articles from other people and putting his name on it.

when he started doing his MMA programs he called himself Rickson Gracie’s academies official S and C coach, until someone pointed out that all he had done was hold a free clinic at the academy that only a few people attended

all you have to do is look at his original MMA workout to know he had never trained any real fighters the volume would have killed even an amateur fighter, Adam Singer pretty much destroyed the program over at MMA.tv in a few sentences. Adam Singer is the head coach at the gym that gave us Rory Singer and Forrest Griffin and a very well read S and C guy.

I don't think Chad came up with anything new, his 5x5 was not new or any other of his ST programs.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I don't think Chad came up with anything new, his 5x5 was not new or any other of his ST programs.
    I honestly haven't really made any effort to look up Waterbury myself. When I heard him speak, his topic was How the Nervous System Controls Your Muscles: Applications to Training. It was quite fascinating, but I admit that I am a science geek.

Honestly, I love reading work done by my mentor, Robert dos Remedios, and his friend and colleague Alwyn Cosgrove. Both of whom I highly respect for their years of experience in the S&C field.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkout View Post
    This may not apply to what you're asking about heavy bag work, but I used wrist weights early on when I was learning the Sil Lim Tao form of Wing Chun. It's important to imagine downward pressure on your arms when your extending them out for the first part of the form. This prevents you from raising your shoulders and also helps keep everything centered. It was a big help since I didn't have to imagine downward pressure. I had real downward pressure. I know back in the day, Bruce Lee and some other guys used iron rings for the same purpose. But I found wrist weights to be just as effective. I just put them up higher on my forearms so I could move my wrists and hands freely. As far as punching goes, I don't think it's a good idea. I've never tried it, but I'd imagine that it would be pretty hard on your joints if you're using fast motions like punching. Using weights for forms like Wing Chun or Hung Gar that are slower and more controlled can help, but punching seems risky.
    For Wing Chun, I would have put the weights around my elbow area, not on the wrist as this would kick in the shoulders as you extended your tan/fok in SNT. The with the weights around the elbow area you would get that downward sinking feeling for the elbow, but it wouldn't kick in the shoulders which is a no no in WC. Also, imagining downward pressure in WC is incorrect as well (now you are chasing hands, or going away from your opponent), as you should be thinking forward pressure with a heavy elbow attached to it. http://www.thechinaboxer.com/2009/09...lbow-soft-arm/ , good explaination here.

RE: Ankle weights, back in my early years I experimented with them, as like others have said I didn't do any ballistic movements, rather I just walked around with them on, and did slow extensions with my side kicks or round kicks, using the wall as balance. To a 4 count, raise up, extended and hold, bring back, then down, then repeat. Raise up only to the point of comfort for your flexibility level, otherwise you might hurt your flexors and lower back. Stretch/warmup without the weights before. They say the only way to work the muscles for kicking is to kick, slow extensions helped in that manner, but they are not for everyone.

James