Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Tong Bi Quan

Shaolin Tong Bi Quan

The Shaolin Tong Bi Quan sets are another mess, not as bad as the others, but with the added mystery of just what are they really supposed to be?

You clearly need to know Shaolin Hong Quan and Pao Quan first before you can master the Tong Bi Quan set.

Tong Bi Quan means "Through the arms" or "Tunnel Arm" Boxing.

It is erroneously sometimes pinyin-ized as "Tong Bei" Quan, which is something entirely different, meaning "Through the Back" Boxing.

Tong Bi was synonymous with "long fist" in ancient times.

The style that was now know as Tong Bei Quan was developed by a Taoist Priest named Dong Cheng during the late 1500s. He learned Shaolin Quan from two students of Bai Yufeng (complete info is in my forthcoming book!). From them he learned Shaolin Taizu Chang Quan sets, Hong Quan sets, and Pao Quan sets. He created something he called Tong Bi Quan after observing some Yellow Gibbons interacting in the mountain slopes and incorporated the long arm movements into his Shaolin Quan. Later still he learned Six Harmony Spear at Qianzai Temple and also Rou Quan. He met up with the nephew (or grandson?) of Zhang San Feng, who practiced Nei Jia Quan. From him, he exchanged routines, teaching Zhang some Taizu and other Shaolin sets and from him learning the Taoist 13 Gong (often called 13 Skills or 13 Postures). He merged all this and developed what was called Tongbei Quan. You can date the lineages of his students from what time period that they learned had from him by them having Quan Pu manuals that are labeled either Tong Bi or Tong Bei. They are very different from each other.
    He went on the later influence that founding of Chen Taiji Quan, but that's another long story.

Hence you have to say "Shaolin" Tongbi Quan in order to be clear that you don't mean the other Tongbi Quan style from Dong Cheng of Henan.

Now, back to SHAOLIN TONG BI Quan.

It's movements CLEARLY are found within Hong Quan and Pao Quan. Shaolin Tong Bi Quan shares with them the postures of Single Whip, Tui Shou (push hand), Cloud Peak overhead, and more. But, it also features movements found in the Taizu Chang Quan set and the Shaolin Ape-Monkey Quan set. One important feature of Shaolin Tong Bi Quan is its great use of the Spear Hand posture, in fact it is heavily emphasized. There is also much use of the "lying head on pillow" movement that is found in the Rou Quan and Lao Hong Quan sets from the Dengfeng area and the Shi Degen and Liu Zhen Hai lineages.

There has been some conjecture that Shaolin Tongbi Quan comes from Han Tong's Tongbi Quan, which is mentioned as one of the base styles that Shaolin Quan is based on, including the Taizu Chang Quan set.

But, at Shaolin, the Tongbi Quan sets were practiced mostly by the guards that watched the South, East, and West gate entrances to the Shaolin Temple grounds.

But, when you look further at the movements of Shaolin Tongbi Quan, they share a lot in common with the other most practiced style within that region of Shaolin, which is what?
    The Liu Bu Jia (Da Hong Quan - Big Swan Fist), which was practiced by many military people. The Shaolin Tongbi Quan sets contain one important posture not seen in anything else but sets that are related to Liu Bu Jia Da Hong Quan, which is the San Huang Bang (Three Dazzling Wings). The Bang is the same part of the body as the Bi in Chinese, the upper arms (forearms).

I really think that Shaolin Tongbi Quan must have came from village Da Hong Quan. Here's some important points:

1 - Shaolin Tongbi Quan was practiced at the gates on the Shaolin grounds by the temple guards, not in the regular areas.
    2 - Tongbi means Tunneling Arms, Through the Arms, etc., and is another way of saying Long Fist.
    3 - Shaolin Tongbi Quan was practiced there since the Song dynasty. It was one of the martial arts that Fu Ju brought together to create the TZ Chang Quan 32 set.
    4 - If this is true, and General Han Tong practiced Tongbi (which is what the ancient Shaolin books say and other books), then since General Han Tong practiced the same martial arts as Zhao Kuangyin, being from the same army, and since Da Hong Quan (Big Swan Fist) was practiced in the military since the Sui dynasty, and since it is clear that Lao Hong Quan that came from Zhao Kuangyin is very much derived from Da Hong Quan (Big Swan Fist), THEN this Shaolin Tongbi is indeed also derived from Da Hong Quan (Big Swan Fist).
    5 - Big Swan Fist shares all the Single Whip and other movements that overlap between Shaolin Hong Quan, Pao Quan, and Tongbi Quan. In fact, they practiced them first and for much longer.
    6 - Centuries later the guard posts and shrine area of Shaolin practiced the Shaolin Kan Jia Quan style, and the Big Swan Fist books say that Shaolin Kan Jia came from Big Swan Fist (and the sets clearly show this), then more than likely Shaolin Kanjia developed out of Shaolin Tongbi Quan.

Anyway, that's my opinion from analyzing the movements and postures and history of the area.

Now, today there seems to be only a few Shaolin Tongbi Quan sets practiced.

The Shaolin Encyclopedia and the Tagou Books show only two Shaolin Tongbi Quan sets: Xiao Tong Bi and Da Tong Bi. Again, like the Xiao and Da Pao Quan sets, the Xiao Tong Bi set is very long and the Da Tong Bi Quan set is very short.
    In fact, the Xiao Tongbi set seems to have three seams; three points where the opening salute is given and the set starts again. So, maybe there originally was three separate sets that are now merged into one.
    The Xiao and Da Tongbi Quan sets shown the Shaolin Encyclopedia and the Tagou Books match each other pretty much. The main different being two:
    1 - the direction you are facing when doing certain postures are turned around in the Tagou books, but then return back to facing the same way.
    2 - both sets are much longer in the Shaolin Encyclopedia. In this case, which is not often, the Tagou sets seem to be abbreviated a lot.

I compared these two other written sources. The Shaolin sets were the same in all the Shaolin sources I checked, all were longer than the Tagou sets.

BUT, Liu Zhenhai has another book (Shaolin Temple Tao Lu, 1996, isbn 7534947530) in which he shows two sets that are similar to the Shaolin and Tagou Xiao and Da Tongbi Quan set, but much more longer and finely detailed:
    1. Yi Lu Tong Bei Quan - 74 postures / 95 movements
    2. Er Lu Tong Bei Quan - 32 postures / 46 movements

In Liu Zhenhai's version of the sets, there clearly is shown the movements from the Da Hong Quan (Big Swan Boxing) style, such as San Huang Bang and movements from the Shaolin Ape-Monkey set that are not found in almost all other modern versions of the Xiao and Da Tongbi Quan sets.
    Today's Shaolin Xiao and Da Tongbi Quan sets when shown appear to be smoothed over and modernized enough to hide the original roots that are apparent in its postures and movements that link to other sets and styles.

I will prepare and post on youtube Liu Zhenhai's vcds of his Shaolin Tongbi Quan sets. He has three VCDs labeled as Xiao Tongbi Quan Yi Lu, Er Lu, and San Lu.

Also, I will gather up whatever versions of these sets that can be found on Youtube that you can see.

One last thing, Shi Deyang not only teaches the main Xiao and Tongbi Quan sets, but also Tongbi Quan sets from other gate tradition. The different gates practiced different routines from each other in case one gate was overcome in battle then the other ones would know different material, which would give better chances to overcome the invaders.
    - Shi deyang also has 3 vcds out that are labeled Xiao Tongbi Quan Yi Lu, Er Lu, and San Lu.
    - And, he has 3 vcds labeled Nan Yuan (South gate) Da Tongbi Quan Yi Lu, Er Lu, and San Lu.
    - Finally, he has one VCD of Da Tongbi Quan as well.
    These sets came from his late master Suxi.

Anyone that wants to add info to this posting, please do, thanks!
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 10-18-2009 at 09:19 PM.

videos

1. The short Da Tongbi Quan (abbreviated) set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXNByYRPmbk (shi deyang - same exact as the Tagou books version)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plU5pj-7HSk (made with REALLY ANNOYING CAMERA ANGLE CHANGES! Irritating bozos!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plU5pj-7HSk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od-vIuaMLQE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sx9pX00iYM (different way of doing set)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSNB4ZNfs6k (old Shaolin way of doing the set - same as in Shaolin Encyclopedia, but with more transition movements shown. Longer and more detailed than Tagou version of this set. Still not as many postures and movements as Liu Zhenhai's Er Lu version, but very close.) THE BEST VERSION OF SHAOLIN DA TONGBI QUAN readily available to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh91XIsii4s (by 31st generation Shi De Ding -Jiao Hong Bo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og023uq6kD8 (Wu Gulun version)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlHzKhb8TgE (another version - Wu Gulun style)
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 11-15-2009 at 09:14 PM.

AAAh, cant watch the videos again.

On the name. Recently discussed this a lot with my assistant translator. Bi means arm, however it means the entire arm, including the shoulder. Tong means through, however the same character has a second less common meaning and that is full or entire. THis compounds the full arm of bi, often chinese is constructed like this, one character compounds the other. Thus in this situation I beleive TongBi best translates as 'FULL ARM BOXING' emphasizing that the entire arm is used. ANyone who has seen the standard wushu tongbi will understand this name. Tong as through doesn't make as much sense. If it does mean 'through' then it should be translated as 'PENETRATING FIST' another suitable name. Arm-through means nothing in english and is therefore a poor translation. TOngbi is often referred to as Tongbei, this is because in Henan language Bi is pronounced Bei, this has led to lots of people miss translating it as 'back' (also bei).

Tongbi quan is a similar situation to Pao quan. You have the long form which is as you guessed 3 forms put together. Most people only practice two of them at a time. This is the shaolin tongbei quan.

Then we have Da tong bei, this again is very common in dengfeng where xiao tong bi is not. So as with pao quan we have dengfeng short tongbi, and shaolin san lu long tongbi. Just got the yellow book from shaolin temple, although it has some differences I think this is the definitive version, has all three sets completely.

Nanyuan tongbi is another menpai. Deyangs is the only good version I have seen, I have other videos of it. Actually there are many forms from the 'nanyuan' pai, it is generally the kung fu of the abbot ZhenXu.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    AAAh, cant watch the videos again.

All these videos are also found on the Chinese versions of YouTube, such as 56.com and all the rest, you can find them.

So far I have only found Da Tongbi Quan videos, none for Xiao Tongbei Quan (or Tongbi Yi, Er, and San Lu) on the english sites. I will check the Chinese sites this morning.

On the name. Recently discussed this a lot with my assistant translator. Bi means arm, however it means the entire arm, including the shoulder. Tong means through, however the same character has a second less common meaning and that is full or entire. THis compounds the full arm of bi, often chinese is constructed like this, one character compounds the other. Thus in this situation I beleive TongBi best translates as 'FULL ARM BOXING' emphasizing that the entire arm is used. ANyone who has seen the standard wushu tongbi will understand this name. Tong as through doesn't make as much sense. If it does mean 'through' then it should be translated as 'PENETRATING FIST' another suitable name. Arm-through means nothing in english and is therefore a poor translation. TOngbi is often referred to as Tongbei, this is because in Henan language Bi is pronounced Bei, this has led to lots of people miss translating it as 'back' (also bei).
    Yes, indeed very true. AND, what is very interesting, this "Full Arm Boxing" is the essence of the San Huang Bang movements of Da Hong Quan (Big Swan or Vast Fist), as found in the beginning of their sets, such as Liu Bu Jia, etc.
    This whole style is entirely based on using Full Arm Boxing, and a Penetrating Fist. They use these words when describing their style's theory and operations. Its one big long fist from one hand traveling along the arm through the shoulders to the other arm and out to the other hand. You punch like a wave from one end to the other.

This concept of Tongbi was influential to the formation of Taizu Chang Quan, which came from the input of the military advisers from Zhao Kuang Yin's army.
    From Zhao came the use of his "Lifting Hands" technique. From General Han Tong (who died in battle against Zhao's rebel forces, when Han tried to defend the child emperor) came the use of this penetrating fist idea, of whole body movement, etc.

Tongbi quan is a similar situation to Pao quan. You have the long form which is as you guessed 3 forms put together. Most people only practice two of them at a time. This is the shaolin tongbei quan.
    Yeah, Liu Zhenhai seems to have a very detailed and long version of it. I will review his videos and see how different they are from Shi Deyang's version of the three sets. Hopefully, Liu's VCDs will be like his book's version (that would make things much more neater to deal with).

Then we have Da tong bei, this again is very common in dengfeng where xiao tong bi is not. So as with pao quan we have dengfeng short tongbi, and shaolin san lu long tongbi. Just got the yellow book from shaolin temple, although it has some differences I think this is the definitive version, has all three sets completely.
    I will have Shi Yongxin's two Shaolin Tongbi Quan books any day now, they come very fast in the mail. So, there is 一路通臂拳 and 大通臂拳.
    Which of these books are you saying has "all three sets completely"? His Tongbei is only Yi Lu on the cover. It has all three parts?
    Or do you mean his Da Hong Quan, that was full complete all three parts in one book, very nice!

Nanyuan tongbi is another menpai. Deyangs is the only good version I have seen, I have other videos of it. Actually there are many forms from the 'nanyuan' pai, it is generally the kung fu of the abbot ZhenXu.
    I would like to learn as much about the other Shaolin gate routines and styles.
    Any information you can provide, I will be grateful, in the spirit of research, thanks!
    What other routines come from Nanyuan Pai?

What about the East and West Yuan Pais?

@sal

I didnt bother getting the Da tong bei book because it is the standard Da tongbi, like deyang does, a bit nicer round the edges though, but I have learned this form 10 times and seen it 10,000.

The Yi lu book is the one. That has all 3 forms of xiao tongbi put together in one glorious 76 movement form. The last section, section 3 I have never seen before. It is awesome, and next to san lu luohan quan is the form I want to study from him (yan Zhuang). I never really liked tongbi quan that much but on seeing this book i cant get it out of my head.

Nan Yuan Pai, I think a lot of Zhen Xu Fang Zhans forms were nan yuan pai. I also know that Su xi was primerily nan yuan pai. Its a large sect within shaolin. I don't know a huge amount about it, but I know xuan feng dao (very traditional double saber set) is also nan yuan pai. My master (yong wen) is very familiar with it, I'll ask him what else is nan yuan pai next time i get a chance.

more videos

少林小通臂拳 - Xiao Tongbi Quan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4OMejSdJlI (Shi Deyang doing his Yi, Er, and San Lu sections, first two sections match the Shaolin Encyclopedia, the third section is nothing like it. His three are like the Tagou book version, abbreviated.)

Tong Bei and 7 Long

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    There has been some conjecture that Shaolin Tongbi Quan comes from Han Tong's Tongbi Quan,
    Interesting stuff Sal.
    As you know the "Surnames of the Founders of Eighteen Styles" lists the first two as:
    "Taizu's Longfist is the beginning.
    Han Tong's Tong Bei is the mother."

The Bei character used here is 'bei' for 'back.'

within Mantis Fist the Tong Bei of Han Tong refers to a group of techniques called 'seven long' (qi chang).

The manuscript of Seven Long finishes with a description of Han Tong's Tong Bei.

As for Tong Bei, when Han Tong demonstrated his greatness, both his elbows and hips worked as one to pass through the shoulders.
    Later generations learned it, stretching forward and bending back, turning to the side and rushing forward. This is what we call Tong Bei.

But, besides Mantis Boxing I have found little mention of "Hantong's" Tong Bei.

Besides Mantis, where else is Han Tong mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    Interesting stuff Sal.
    As you know the "Surnames of the Founders of Eighteen Styles" lists the first two as:
    "Taizu's Longfist is the beginning.
    Han Tong's Tong Bei is the mother."

The Bei character used here is 'bei' for 'back.'

within Mantis Fist the Tong Bei of Han Tong refers to a group of techniques called 'seven long' (qi chang).

The manuscript of Seven Long finishes with a description of Han Tong's Tong Bei.

As for Tong Bei, when Han Tong demonstrated his greatness, both his elbows and hips worked as one to pass through the shoulders.
    Later generations learned it, stretching forward and bending back, turning to the side and rushing forward. This is what we call Tong Bei.

But, besides Mantis Boxing I have found little mention of "Hantong's" Tong Bei.

Besides Mantis, where else is Han Tong mentioned?
    Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

The History of the Song is a huge history book from ancient China.

Supposedly, Han Tong (韩通) was a General along with Zhao Kuangyin (赵匡胤) under the Later Zhou Dynasty. He was stationed at the gate leading into Shandong Province (I think at the junction point where the different provinces all border each other (Hebei, Henan).
    When the Zhou Emperor died (I think it was Zhou Shizong) and a infant child was to take the throne, the army generals rebelled and chose Zhao Kuangyin to be the new emperor. When word reached the rest of the Zhou empire, many other generals defected and there was a lot of chaos. The only person who remained loyal to the Zhou emperor and fought with resistance was Han Tong, but he was killed by one of Kuangyin's generals when he reached home. New Emperor Zhao requested a big ceremony for his death and attended the funeral.
    The Later Zhou Dynasty was from out of Taiyuan, which was in Shanxi province. Han Tong may have come from there as well. He enlisted in the army at 20 years of age and was a great fighter, quickly rising in ranks to general. He was famous for fighting off the Khitan.
    His military life is here in Chinese: http://baike.baidu.com/view/676811.htm

Okay, back to Tongbi Quan.

Hmm, I don't think that using the "back" character for Bi was correct.
    In the fact that it is well known that the foundation manuscripts that Mantis uses were hand copied with errors dating from various times. Tong Bei using Back would be something that developed during the early Qing dynasty.
    Bi using Arms was always used in more ancient times, synonymous with "long fist".

It is right to translate "Tongbi" as penetrating. The actual main tongbi technique in the Shaolin Tongbi Quan sets is a spear hand. And it is not the tip of the hand that is used, rather the whole arm is thrust out (like in Pi Quan of Five Elements) right past the throat of the opponent, so that the whole arm is choking his neck.
    Like this: whole body movement is used from the ground up through spine to elbows, and the elbows thrust out to the hands. The first thrust deflects the incoming attack. The second thrust invades the opponent's space to unbalance him while a whole arm spears through along his throat, causing great shock and choking discomfort. The next thrust attacks and presses down, continuing the choke so that the blood flow is cut off and the person passes out. (one application).
    So, yes, this would be a "long" technique to be used in the short range (as Mantis theory is known to say).

IF indeed Mantis is looking to Tongbei (back) for sure, then this is not General Han Tong's Tongbi or Shaolin Tongbi, but rather the Taoist style of Tongbei Quan that developed FROM Shaolin Quan by Priest Dong Cheng.
    So, even though Mantis was using the "16 masters Sonnet" from Shaolin sources, it's not really getting the actual methods and techniques from it, it is getting them from the Qing Dynasty era Tongbei Quan, the White Ape style movements that are always used in the Tang Lang legends for when Wang Lang saw the Taoists practicing their martial art and he learned from them to finally merge Shaolin with Taoist Tongbei to develop Tang Lang (as the legend goes).I have seen some people say that they think it may be this Taoist Tongbei rather then Shaolin Tongbi. You would have to look at videos of the two styles and tell me which one you think is most closest to how Mantis actually employs the technique. This would make an interesting thing to check out.
    I often see the Taizu Chang Quan in Mantis.
    If indeed Mantis is using Taoist TongBei Quan, there should be some overlap with Taiji Quan, because it developed from Tongbei Quan. AND, I have heard quite a few Mantis people say that they have seen this overlap. I think both styles have a similar Elbows routine, for one.
    (By the way, Taoist Tongbei Quan is a merger of Shaolin Quan [Priest Dong Cheng had learned Shaolin Wu Quan, Taizu Chang Quan, Hong Quan, Pao Quan] and Taoist 13 Soft Skills)

Confusing, I know, but worth further investigation and discussion.

Please don't think that I am positioning myself as the Grand Poopah expert and so on. I am fully open to learn more, I am just presenting you what I have ready so far in doing research and my present opinions (which are open to change as more info comes in over time).

Oh, I forgot something interesting. Han Tong in some sources is mentioned as having a hunched back from an early illness!
    Perhaps that contributed to his unique fighting style / technique?
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 10-20-2009 at 11:06 AM.

arm vs back

What the are roots of Han Tong's Tong Bei in Mantis are I can not say.

Here is some more information on the arm vs back character. Usually, I don't read to much into this distinction for several reasons.
    • arm pronounced 'bi' has the alternate pronunciation of 'bei' making it sound like back.
    • dialect differences in pronunciation
    • lack of high literacy in martial artists over the years would explain confusion between arm and back characters.

But, in Mantis there is something you might find interesting.

Within the above mentioned manuscript of 'Seven Long" is something called Connected Fist (Lian Quan). Connected Fist is interesting for several reasons. First of all it uses all the terminology that is explained within the Short Strike Manuscript such as the 24 keywords of short strikes, seven long and eight short, moves from the eighteen masters, eight hard and twelve soft etc.

Connected Fist is written as 64 lines of 7 character verse. It emphasizes entering gates and it also identifies each 7 character line as a gate. It is broken down into three sections which are:
    • 32 gates for the central gate
    • 16 gates for the left gate
    • 16 gates for the right gate

It is the 16 gates to left and right that interest us here.

The complete name of the left gate is
    Left Sixteen Gates Piercing Ear Defeats Through the Arms Hand Method Essential Key

The right gate is
    Right Sixteen Gates Through the Arms Defeats Piercing Ear Hand Method Essential Key

In both cases 'arm' instead of 'back' is used. But what is interesting is that in the actual techniques, the 7 character verse descriptions, 'back' instead of 'arm' is used.

Example:
    Following step raising hands ear piercing fist,
    Raising step hang on face add tong bei(back).

another:
    Hook and pull tong bei connects three palms

So we have two instances of arm and two of back. I don't think that this is a mistake. Arm is used in the title and back is used in the description. Unfortuneatly I only have the one version of this manuscript and as far as I know this form no longer exists.

The piercing ear that battles with Tong Bi is within 18 Surnames of Masters as being passed on by Tan Fang. have not found out any information on him so far.

Within this Connected Fist all the moves of 7 Long can be found. Can Han Tong be attributed to these techniques or, would ancient popular novels such as Fei Long Zhuan and Shui Hu Zhuan be a possible source of why semi famous generals are listed as founders of styles and techniques?

Kevin

What the are roots of Han Tong's Tong Bei in Mantis are I can not say.

Here is some more information on the arm vs back character. . . .

So we have two instances of arm and two of back. I don't think that this is a mistake. Arm is used in the title and back is used in the description. Unfortuneatly I only have the one version of this manuscript and as far as I know this form no longer exists.
    Very interesting.

Well, for one thing, the Tongbi Quan and then Tongbei Quan that developed from Shaolin Quan through Priest Dong Cheng usually catalogs their full amount of training material into 108 different methods and uses 24 Sanda ‘free fighting’ techniques. :
    a - 108 methods (which is what Qi style tongbei Quan comes from)
    b - 24 techniques (which is what Shi Tongbei Quan comes from).

The description you give of the 24 short strikes is very close to Tongbei Quan's own way of describing their 24 characters techniques.

Shaolin called this all Duan Da.

In the Henan Shaolin area, there exist two sets that exhibit similar theory to that of the Luohan Xing Gong Duanda book, namely the ‘Shaolin Duanda’ (containing 19 sections) and the’ Jiao Shou Shiliu Shi’ (Crossing Hands in 16 Positions).

The Luohan Xing Gong Duanda Tuo Pu makes a point of saying that the foundational material is based on the Taizu Long Fist (which was also then called ‘32 Shou Duanda’ – ‘32 Hands Close Strikes’) and the Tongbi of Han Tang (who was an army general stationed at the Shandong gate that died in the battle against Zhao Kuangyin’s rebel forces that made him become Song Dynasty Emperor ‘Taizu’). The book has key text on how this long fist is short strike and vice versa. In the Shandong area, Taizu Hong Quan was a popular Ming Dynasty martial art. In the more ancient Henan Shaolin tradition it is related to, the Song Taizu Chang Quan also is a long fist style that fights in the short range, using a flowing fist (Hong Quan) method that overwhelms the opponent. The actual name for the Shaolin Song Taizu Chang Quan set is ‘San Er Shou Duanda’ – ‘32 Hands Close Strikes’.

How something similar via Shaolin got to Shandong and to the very village area where the earliest mentions of Tang Lang Quan come from is as I have said before:

At some point during the Ming-Qing transition era, Shaolin monks traveling in the Yingkou area of Liaoning province, in northeastern China, passed on a system of what appears to be sets from Mi (Zong) Quan and Shaolin Wu Quan to Cheng (Sheng) Lixian (盛力先) of Shandong province. The system he brought home and practiced in the Laizhou (莱州) village was later named as the ‘Shaolin Meihua Men’.

Some of the sets that they practiced were:
    Taizu Quan – Great Ancestor Boxing, 太祖拳
    Tang Lang 13 Zhao – Preying Mantis 13 Provocations, 螳螂十三招
    Xiao Hu Yan – Small Tiger Swallow, 小虎燕
    Yuejia Chui – Yue Family Strikes, 岳家捶 (which is the Duan Da - short strikes)
    Heihu Quan – Black Tiger Boxing, 黑虎拳
    Meihua Quan – Plum Flower Boxing, 梅花拳
    Da Hong Quan – Big Flood Boxing, 大洪拳
    Zui Ba Xian Deng - 8 Drunken Immortals, 醉八仙等; among others.
    The weapon sets were Taizu and Plum Flower based implements: 梅花刀, 梅花剑, 行者棍, 梅花枪, 梅花叠鞭, 虎尾三节棍 (即宋太祖盘龙棍), 八卦游龙剑, and 虎头双钩等.

The earliest known person to practice Tang Lang Quan in Shantong (and he didn't even call it that, did he?) was Li Bingxiao in the 1700s, who lived in Xiao Chishan village in Laiyang County. Li Bingxiao became known as Li Ergou or "Two Hooks Li" and also "Old Man with Two Hooks" (Ergou Ye), from using Praying Mantis "hooking" techniques. Perhaps his knowledge came from the Shaolin material that Cheng (Sheng) Lixian had brought to the Laizhou area of Shandong?

The piercing ear that battles with Tong Bi is within 18 Surnames of Masters as being passed on by Tan Fang. have not found out any information on him so far.

Within this Connected Fist all the moves of 7 Long can be found. Can Han Tong be attributed to these techniques or, would ancient popular novels such as Fei Long Zhuan and Shui Hu Zhuan be a possible source of why semi famous generals are listed as founders of styles and techniques?

Kevin
    Well, just about everyone in the Master's List comes from Shandong, and even in the Shaolin records about the meeting that Fu Ju in the year 962 had with former generals of Song Emperor Zhao Kuang Yin called in as advisers to redevelop Shaolin Quan. Zhao even assigned a specific general to oversee the whole project. (I have his name in my book, I'll have to search for it, if you want it).

Starting with two foundational materials called ‘Taizu Chang Quan’ and General ‘Han Tang’s Tongbi’ (Through the arm boxing), 16 masters and their inspirational skills are listed; they appear to be from the Song dynasty era and many were from Shandong. Also some are known from various fictional novels of martial arts heroes, though they may have historical counterparts. One person listed, Gao Huaide, was an actual famous Northern Song general and also the brother-in-law of Emperor Zhao Kuangyin. Another person listed, Zheng En, is mentioned in the History of the Song as being a regional commander that died in the 4th year of the Jianyan Reign (1130 AD) at the beginning of the Southern Song dynasty. The fictional Zheng En is described as a general living during the beginning of the Song Dynasty (around 960). Even a Wen Yuan and his Duan Quan (Short fist) is listed, alluding to the Song era Wen Family, from whence Ba Shan Fan and Chuojiao are said to come from and of which Duan Quan is part of their system (and are mentioned in General Qi Jiguang’s Ming era book).

The famous and real Southern Song era teacher of Yue Fei, Zhou Tong, is considered the Chuojiao teacher of two of the people listed: Lin Chong and Lu Chunyi (plus his famous legendary student Yan Qing is also listed). Many people think that the Lu Chunyi and Yang Qing mentioned on this list are from the fictional “Water Margin” Ming era novel. But, according to family records of the Lu family that practices Yan Qing Boxing, these two people were actually from the Song dynasty and are were actual people, whose lives do not fit what the characters in the Water Margin book did. Perhaps that the novel based its characters on them, it is not known.

As I am sure that you know (posted more for other people's benefit):

This material is considered to have come from the efforts of Shaolin martial monk Abbot Fu Ju (福居), as written in the Luohan Xing Gong Duanda (罗汉行功短打) Tuo Pu (Arhat Exercising Merit Short Strike Illustrated Manuscripts). The book states that Shaolin martial monk abbot Fu Ju invited various martial arts masters three times for three years each (3x3=9), to help improve Shaolin’s martial arts, been received by a Wang Lang from the Shaolin area of Henan province sometime between the Song and Ming dynasties. Someone nicknamed “Wang Lang” had picked up their skills along with some Shaolin Quan, first developed a Praying Mantis style that eventually spread through Shandong province. A later variation of this book was called the Shaolin Robe and Bowl Authentic Transmission and it attributed to someone called Sheng Xiao Dao Ren; two versions may exist from 1762 and 1794.
    Some say that various sources independent from Praying Mantis Boxing traditional history collaborate with this information. Two books that survived the fire when Shaolin monastery was burned down in 1928 are: the "Records of Shaolin Monastery" (Shaolin Si Zhi) - written by Ye Feng, who lived from 1623-1687, and the "The Record of Shaolin Boxing". Both books have the same information about these same events from the beginning of Song Dynasty. One of the Shaolin monastery books provides almost the same list (with names in a different order) and ends it with the concluding passage, "All these were gathered and brought together by Chan (Zen) Master Fu Ju from Shaolin monastery." (Ilya Profatilov, History of Praying Mantis Kungfu article).
    The book Manuscript of Shaolin Boxing said that the Great Song Emperor visited the Shaolin Temple and sent famous generals to Shaolin to teach monks about the art of war and at the same time learn from Shaolin’s Martial Arts. The Shaolin Annals of Martial Arts Monks records “The Great Emperor of Song Dynasty, Zhao Kuangyin, as a grandmaster of Kung Fu. He supported the head abbot of the Shaolin Temple and helped organize three National Competitions of Martial Arts for monks, his generals, and folk martial experts.” This represents the first time in history that a national level tournament combined the talents of Shaolin, the military and civilian martial expertise. In total, 16 formal systems came together and competed, with 13 different people staying for three years each to advise them (according to the Shaolin Records book). This makes sense since after subtracting Taizu and Han Tong leaves 16 people, then subtracting the three inspirational people of Lin Chong, Yan Qing, and Liu Xing, leaves 13 people.
    The names of the 18 methods from the Shaolin source are:

1. Taizu Chang Quan Qi Shou (Ancestral Long Fist Rising Hands)
    2. Han Tong’s Tong Bi Wei You (Through Arm Serves Excellently)
    3. Zheng En’s Chan Feng You Miao (Binding Seal Especially Clever)
    4. Wen Tian’s Duan Quan Geng Ji (Short Fist More Unusual)
    5. Ma Jie‘s Duanda Zui Jia (Close Strikes Best [Most Fine])
    6. Kong Heng‘s Hou Quan Qie Sheng (Monkey Fist Also Flourishes)
    7. Huang Hu's Kao Shen Nan Jin (Leaning Body Difficult To Approach)
    8. Jin Sheng's Mian Zhang Ji Fei (Face Palm Swiftly Flys)
    9. Jin Xiang's Ke-Zi Tong Quan (Knocking Through Fist)
    10. Liu Xing's Gou Lou Cai Shou (Hook Pulling/Embracing Picking Hand)
    11. Tan Fang's Gun Lie Guan Er (Rolling Thunder Piercing Ears)
    12. Yan Qing's Nian Na Yue Bu (Sticky Hold Leaps Not)
    13. Lin Chong’s Yuan Yang Jiao (‘Mandarin Duck’ Kicks)
    14. Meng Huo's Qi Shi Lian Zhang (Seven Forces/Postures Linking Palms)
    15. Cui Lian's Wo Guo Pao Chui (Nest Confining Cannon Hammers)
    16. Yang Gun's Kun Shou Lu Zhi Ru (Tying Hand Capture Vertically Enters)
    17. Wang Lang’s Tang Lang Ke Di (Praying Mantis Subdues Enemy)
    18. Gao Huai De's Shuai Liu Ying Beng (Throwing Grab Hard Collapse)

In the Praying Mantis Boxing Manual (Tanglang Quanpu) recorded the late 1700s, the unknown author provides this list (as one can see, some of the names are different from the Shaolin version and they are told in a different order. Also in the Shaolin version Wang Lang’s is just another technique, nothing is said about it being the culmination of all the others, as in the Praying Mantis version.):

1. In the beginning there was "Long-range Boxing" (Chang Quan) style of emperor Taizu.
    2. "Through the Back" (Tongbei) boxing of Master Han Tong's considered parental.
    3. Hand technique "Rap Around and Seal" (Chan Feng) of Master Zhang En is especially profound.
    4. "Close-range Strikes" (Duanda) boxing of Master Ma Ji is the most remarkable.
    5. It is impossible to come close to Master Huang You who knows the "Close Range Hand Techniques" (Kao Shou).
    6. The technique "Blocking Hands and Following Trough Fist" (Keshou Tong Quan) of Master Jin Xiang.
    7. The hand techniques of "Hooking, Scooping and Grabbing Hands" (Gou Lou Cai Shou) of Master Liu Xing.
    8. The "Methods of Sticking, Grabbing, and Falling" (Zhanna Diefa) of Master Yan Qing.
    9. The "Short Boxing" (Duan Quan) of Master Wen Yuan is the most extraordinary.
    10. The style "Monkey Boxing" (Hou Quan) of Master Sun Heng is also flourishing.
    11. The "Cotton Fist" (Mien Quan) technique of Master Mien Shen is lightning fast.
    12. The "Throwing-Grabbing and Hard Crashing" (Shuailue Yingbeng) technique by Master Huai De.
    13. The technique of "Ducking, Leaking and Passing through the Ears" (Gun lou guan er) of Master Tan Fang.
    14. The strongest leg kicking technique is "Mandarin ducks kick” (Yuanyang Jiao) of Master Lin Chong.
    15. The "Seven Postures of Continuous Fist Strikes" (Qishi Lianquan) techniques by Master Meng Su.
    16. "Hand Binding and Grabbing" (Kunlu Zhenru) techniques of Master Yang Gun attack instantly.
    17. The techniques of "Explosive Strikes into the Hollow Parts of the Body" (Woli Pao Chui) by Master Cui Lian.
    18. “Praying Mantis (Tanglang) boxing of Master Wang Lang absorbed and equalized all previous techniques.

The problem is that before the Ming era, there is an empty gap of 800 years where there is little information available about martial arts. With the Jin invasion during the later Song Dynasty (and the Song house moving south) and then the Yuan Dynasty Mongol invasion soon after, there were much war time and much moving around and much hiding out. Many temples were burned down, between the invaders and the big fights between Taoists and Buddhists, there was lots of turmoil. Also much information was lost during the many periods of temple burning, book burnings, and the events of the Cultural Revolution, all destroying much valuable information.

Here's quote from my forthcoming book that is relevant:

"Describing the Six Harmonies, Li Shiming wrote, “The heart harmonizes with the intent, the qi with power, ligaments with bones, hand with foot, elbow with knee, shoulder with hip, this is the Liuhe. Six basic forms, each form with the ability to evolve into 12 forms, the 12 forms are still able to be returned back to each parent form.” It was treasured by the Shaolin monks for generations. In addition, he also taught the ‘Secret 24 Character Formula.’ Within this ’24 Character Formula’ is the sentence, ‘Tongbi is famous for its dodging; Xinyi is good at evasion.’ Li's disciple, Ma Xueli, the founder of Luoyang Xinyi Quan, and grand disciple, Ma Sanyuan, visited the temple too. Today, the Ma family Xinyi Ba set and the Shaolin Xinyi Ba still appear to share many features, postures, and movements, showing that they arise from a common source."

This shows that Shaolin has had the Secret 24 Character Formula for a long time (these people are from the 1600s) and it was related to the new Tongbi Quan that influenced Ji Longfeng's creation of Xinyi Liuhe Quan (via Priest Dong Cheng, from Ji's visits to Qianzai Temple. Thus, Shaolin received this teaching from outside, but over time through Shaolin it further spread to other areas, such as Shandong.

this video shows how the xiaotongbiquan sets run into each other as one. this is the first two together:
    http://www.56.com/u50/v_MjA3MjQ4MzE.html

i dont like how its being done, but you get the point.

I got the remaining Shi Yongxin books yesterday.

Looking at
    Yi Lu Tongbi Quan:
    - The set shown in Shi Yongxin's book is the exact copy of the Yi Lu Tongbi Quan shown in Liu Zhenhai's Shaolin Da Lu book. All movements are the same (except once in a while one faces the opposite direction during a movement, not a big deal).

- the version of the set shown in the Shaolin Encyc. is different, it is shorter, missing the ending section shown in both Shi Yongxin's book and Liu Zhenhai's. Also, in some sections the movements are totally different or not in the same order.
    So, this version doesn't match up too well after the first section it goes astray.

- The Xiao Tongbi in the Tagou books is way shorter, much simpler, gets mixed up in the middle as well.

My vote is that the most accurate version is the Shi Yong Xin/Liu Zhen Hai books version. It is the longest, about 76 postures, and shows most transitional movements.

What I want to know is, these people who make these books all live in very close proximity to each other, whereas we in this forum live thousands of miles away from each other. Why can't they get together and hash out what the definitive set is?

Now, looking at the Da Tongbi Quan:

First, there is an interesting note at the beginning of the book, which says something important. It says that the origin of the Da Tongbi Quan set goes way back to the early Song dynasty when Fuju was developing a compendium of Shaolin martial arts (you know the story). At that time, Fuju used a "discourse" by General Han Tong called "The Routine of Datongbi Boxing" and incorporated it into Shaolin. From then on many people practiced this set and tried to improve on it. Eventually, this led to the current version that exists today.

- In comparison to the version in Liu Zhenhai's Shaolin Da Lu book, Liu's version is again much longer and much more complex, it is 32 postures and Shi Yongxin's is only 28 postures. In the last section, the two versions stray far from each other before coming back in and matching up again. Shi Yongxin's version has more kicks and some different moves too. It seems if you put the two together you would have one complete version of the set.

- The version in the Shaolin Encyc. is the most closest to the Shi Yongxin version. They mismatch very rarely.

- The Tagou version is pretty much the same as the Shi Yongxin and the Shaolin Encyc. for once, but again it looks simplified at time in movements.