Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
that's the fact, Jack

(someone here seems to have forgotten that even the Buddha wouldn't offer teaching until 3 AM after most everyone had left and then only when asked 3 times...)

it's not that what Hendrik says is necessarily is bad or wrong, and indeed from a classical perspective it is correct, it's just that he comes across as a pompous asz by virtue of the fact that he seems to hod the opinion that this way is the only way, and that NO ONE in his estimation has got it right; now, if anyone of us had come to Hendrik for instruction, then that would be fine; but what he fails to understand is that this is a discussion board; meaning that no one is here to get instruction, but rather to engage in lively discourse as suits each person's wont; meaning that to some degree this is entertainment! but Hendrik appears to think that his utterances ought be met with all the seriousness he thinks that they deserve; and apart from this being somewhat untoward, it's really just dull...
1) Not everything he says is foolishness, just most of it, like 99%!

2) He continually imposes his own limited and erroneous views onto to others and cannot seem to recognize he is doing so! As in the example I outlined above, he misapplied a principle, taught by Ch'an teachers, to a topic which was not addressing that principle, and when it was pointed out to him he ignores his own misunderstanding and accuses others of cluelessness!

3) He cannot explain anything for himself! Anyone can say, "You are wrong!", "You are foolish!", "You are clueless!", "You don't know how to swim!", but these comments are useless without ACCURATE commentary on why this is so!

One must address the errors of others with clear explanations of why they are in error lest the comments made give the appearance of an ego investment in "believing" you are right, rather than actually being correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
You are clueless when it comes to real swimming even though you might read lots and lots of books.
Please explain how this comment does NOT pertain you! I know you won't, because every time I have asked you do so in the past you have evaded the request with further empty insults and criticism!

When you are done not explaining the above question, please explain how many, if not all, Ch'an masters make references to the comments of those who went before yet apparently, according to you, no one else is permitted to do so but you?

Then, when you are done NOT responding to that question, please explain how ANY of my comments demonstrate I do not understand the principles I am discussing? I am interested to know how you know what is in my mind and what experiences I have had when you do not know me at all? Just where does this extraordinary insight come from when I am able to clearly provide independent commentary on Ch'an principles and list support for my comments by referring to the masters who teach the same principles, yet you cannot do the same for yourself?

While you provide some sources you misapply them to the principles under discussion and cannot provide independent commentary, other than insults!

All you can do is criticize what you don't understand. You are unable to explain what you do understand because you don't actually understand the topic very well!

Once again, you have made an empty criticism showing your ego investment in your own fantasy of being right! You have made no clear explanation of how I am "clueless"! Stating it is so is meaningless unless you can demonstrate it to be so!

When you tried to do so above you botched it royally and put your foot in your mouth! You misapplied a Ch'an principle to a topic you didn't didn't understand!

Show us how mature you are by simply admitting to it!

And ONCE AGAIN, rather than making comments that serve no other benefit than stroking your own ego, try to write a meaningful response explaining how someone else's comments reflect their misunderstanding by applying your criticism to the actual principle under discussion.

Why settle for less and trap yourself in the books?
Who is trapped in books? I see you are providing links to the thoughts of others to make your point, but others are not permitted this same privilege?

Your hypocrisy is showing again!

'I deeply respect all of you and dare not slight you. Why? You are all practicing the Bodhisattva Path and shall attain Buddhahood.'
If you deeply respect all of us and dare not slight us then why do you repeatedly slight others? How does calling someone clueless without an accurate explanation of how this is so demonstrate your respect?

If you wish your statement that "you respect others and dare not slight them" to be taken seriously then try demonstrating it:

1) by being more gracious and accurate with your criticisms.

2) by providing criticism that actually applies to the principle under discussion.

3) by providing meaningful evidence for your view.

4) by not insulting those who respond accurately to your inaccurate criticism!