Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diabeties Treatment Suggestions

Diabeties Treatment Suggestions

Hello,

Was curious about any TCM treatments for Type 2 Diabeties. Know someone who has no interest in medication or major lifestyle changes. Curious if any Internal Arts might be good to treat diabeties. Not sure if this person is in denial or they just don't care but thought I would seek out some suggestions to offer. This person was also diagnosed with Melenoma about 1 1/2 years ago as well and afaik has done nothing about that either. They say they feel fine and are not worried about it but I am not so sure.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as to internal arts practice or TCM.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

From "Healing with Whole Foods;;Oriental traditions and modern nutrition

Foods Commonly used in the treatment of diabetes

GRAINS AN LEGUMES
    millet,ricesweet rice'oats,freshcorn, hole wheat and its bran,tofu and soy products,mung bean, garbanzo bean

VEGETABLES AND FRUITS
    string bean,carrot,radish,jerusalem artichoke,turnip,asparagus,yam,spinach,avacodo,pea r,plum,lemon,grapfruit,lime,blueberry, blackberry

CHLOROPHYLL FOODS
    wheat or barley grass,spirulina,chlorella,liquid chlorophyll

HERBS
    dandelion root and leaf,cedar berries,yarrow fowers,blueberyy/huckleberry leaf

SWEETENERS
    licorice tea or powder,stevia powder or extract

ANIMAL PRODUCTS
    clam,albalon,
    cows milk,yogurt,
    pancreas of lambpork,beef,or fowl
    lamb kidney
    chicken or goose
    beef

hope this helps

Type 2 diabetes is a relative newcomer on the scene. Around 1900 it was rare but by 1950 it was getting common. It was called Adult onset diabetes. Now it is starting to become common among young children. It has been directly connected to the use of processed sugars. There was a time when the only sugars that people used might have been in coffee or tea. Today it is in everything. A regular can of soda can have up to 14 teaspoons of processed sugar in them. I know people that drink near a case of them every day. Consumption of processed sugar is up to the hundreds of pounds per year by most everyone. If you juiced out a bathtub full of sugar cane and reduced it down to raw sugar you would not be able to equal the sugar in a single soda. So you should get your sugar from fruit. Certainly you couldn't eat that much sugar cane. Certain things tend to spike your insulin, which turns the sugars to triglycerides and dropping the blood sugar low. Then you have to consume more sugars and the see-saw up and down of sugar and insulin can lead to type 2 diabetes. I am sure that there are medical terms concerning all this, but I like common terms. There have been people that actually stablized their sugar/insulin levels simply through diet. Not eating processed sugar and products that contain it. Maybe even avoiding foods that spike your insulin. My own doctor told me that I was borderline, but I changed it by cutting out all processed sugars. My blood sugars are back to normal now.
    There is a thread about qigong and health that might be of interest to you as well. If he were my friend I think I would badger him into seeing someone concerning the cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Hello,

Was curious about any TCM treatments for Type 2 Diabeties. Know someone who has no interest in medication or major lifestyle changes. Curious if any Internal Arts might be good to treat diabeties. Not sure if this person is in denial or they just don't care but thought I would seek out some suggestions to offer. This person was also diagnosed with Melenoma about 1 1/2 years ago as well and afaik has done nothing about that either. They say they feel fine and are not worried about it but I am not so sure.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as to internal arts practice or TCM.
    When you treat a disease by the root, the disease can be controlled.
    There are medications that can control type 2 but there must also be lifestyle and dietary changes.

SOME IDEAS:
    1. Walking is better than paying money to learn internal arts. Internal arts would not be of sufficient intensity for type 2 diabetes (adult onset) but it is gentle enough for relaxation purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Know someone who has no interest in medication or major lifestyle changes.
    You cant help someone who doesnt want to help themselves...People have to contemplate the issues and come to the conclusion that change is necessary on their own.

Many cases of Type II diabetes can be eradicated by simply getting into a low-moderate intensity cardio program.

This is a good practical book to read if you are serious about healing the body. in fact all Qigong share the same silence before the body can response. Prayer is much better and easy to learn then Qigong and yield good result.

I have tried them all and recomemed anyone who is serious going the prayer path. You dont have to be religious. But Learning what is forgive and how to forgive and how to do proper prayer is a must.

Sure, we can reach this same state with Qigong too. But that need a coach where we in the west doesnt have access to.

So,

Check out the following, and infact after you learn how to do prayer, that silence state is what you need to get in when you practice Qigong. So, doing prayer is a short cut and a safe one to develop the Qigong state.

The following are some resource I have tried it myself. They are real. the rest is just you need to spend time to practice.

Best wishes on your journey.

http://www.amazon.com/Reclaiming-You...148289&sr=1-11

http://www.learnoutloud.com/Catalog/...Medicine/17510

http://www.amazon.com/Prayer-Five-St...6147073&sr=8-4
    Last edited by Hendrik; 10-21-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I am going to check out some of the resources mentioned.

We will see what the result will be, the person needing this is a bit stubborn and strong willed, which could be a good thing in the end.

Thanks again.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Hmmm. Interesting replies. I mostly have to agree with PlumDragon, as someone who is not interested in making life changes will generally have no compliance and will not take what has been prescribed, whether herbs, medicines or exercise.

Hendrick, while not necessarily appealing to the atheistic crowd, may be on to something. By starting with a mental process such as prayer or meditation, the "field" is tilled and fertilized so that new, constructive behaviors can grow. Often, it is the other way around. People start doing martial arts, for example, for self-defense, but wind up pursuing good diet and lifestyle in the process, to reach the next level, or simply because they have a realization.

People are funny. They're afraid to take the western meds. They don't like bitter herbs. They don't believe in acupuncture. They refuse to exercise and think meditation is for sissies. Yet, they want to get better... by some magical, effortless process. By that standard, death is the only remedy

food for thought

herb ox

Quote Originally Posted by herb ox View Post
    Hendrick, while not necessarily appealing to the atheistic crowd, may be on to something. By starting with a mental process such as prayer or meditation, the "field" is tilled and fertilized so that new, constructive behaviors can grow. Often, it is the other way around. People start doing martial arts, for example, for self-defense, but wind up pursuing good diet and lifestyle in the process, to reach the next level, or simply because they have a realization.

There are something beyond thinking, unless we get into this realm, we have no handling on lots of things.

A human has layer and layers of reality.

The two basic layers we can aware and have immediate handling are the physical , breathing, and Mental.

It is more easy to handle the physical and Mental layer,
    The breathing layer comes after the physical and Mental layer.

When the physcial, Mental, and breathing layers can be properly handle the Zhen Qi layer will surface.

Thus, for all internal art, if the first 3 layers could not be handle then the Zhen Qi will not surface and the benifit of Qigong will be limited.

With deeper cultivation/ practice then the Awareness as in Zen will surface. That is the fifth layer in fact it is not the fifth layer but the energy which transform into all the layers before it.

Thus, a Zen master or a Daoist or a follower of Christ, Buddha.... who truely practice knows all of these five disregards what they call it.

Thus, when we speak about healing everything count. if one can have good handling on all the 4 layers then healling is possible. if one can have indepth handling on all the 4 layers then healing is certain.

While doing prayer or qigong...etc all of the five layers are activate in the same time. doing it properly will get one deep into it. however, if one doesnt have the proper instruction or the process then one might not even enter into the cultivation disregards of 10000000000 years of practice.

IE: as in prayer, if one cant forgive, then while at the prayer the emotion of un forgiveness surface and one will get pull out of the prayer and fall into the hell of burning vengence.
    Thus, with this case, one can do 100000000000 years of prayer but never really get too far because the prayer cant penetrate the unforgiving emotion.

Certainly, physical layer influence is very drastic to physical because that is a direct impact.
    Thus, even if one is practice internal art, until on can neutralized the effect of physical impact, food intake was taken really carefully.

Unless one has all the above knowledge, learning a martial art or doing some taiji actuall doesnt do much.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 10-21-2009 at 03:42 PM.

My old mamma Jude used to tell me to pray in one hand and dump in the other and see which one gets full first. All this is a form of mysticism and will not harm or cure anyone. One must address the problems themselves. Type 2 diabetes is an auto immune system disease. That should tell you something. And it is almost completely diet related.
    As for the cancer, I think you need to consider that with a bit more than mysticism. I think it takes a great deal more consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    My old mamma Jude used to tell me to pray in one hand and dump in the other and see which one gets full first. All this is a form of mysticism and will not harm or cure anyone. One must address the problems themselves. Type 2 diabetes is an auto immune system disease. That should tell you something. And it is almost completely diet related.
    As for the cancer, I think you need to consider that with a bit more than mysticism. I think it takes a great deal more consideration.
    My DI used to utter words of wisdom when his recruits didn't know whether to crap or go blind!

As one who sees Type II diabetes patients daily, I have the following suggestions:

Diet and Nutrition

Watch your Diet! - You need to lose weight and build up lean muscle mass!

Avoid excessive carbs - chips, pizza, bread, breadsticks, pasta, rice, tortillas, burritos, tacos, soft drinks – these are simple carbs, and have little nutritional value. You need complex carbs (vegetables and fruits) to stay alive, roughly 30-40% per meal - but overdoing with simple carbs is unnecessary.

Read the labels! Anything with artifical anything is not the best for you…avoid hidden sugars like high fructose corn syrup. Also abusing sweeteners will eventually have a detrimental effect. Sugar is, in general, better than artificial sweeteners!

Avoid any foods with artifical color, flavor, sweeteners, and preservatives, as well as ingredients you don’t know or can’t pronounce. Avoid enriched white flour, transfatty acids and triglycerides.

Eat more foods without labels: Try to eat fresh, organic foods like fruits, carrot sticks, celery, almonds (unsalted and unflavored), walnuts, raisins, dried fruits as snacks...

Limit yourself to maybe 1 day a week of eating what you want without worry!

Eat only about 2/3 full.

All you can eat buffets are deadly!

6-8 small meals a day, organic foods

Detox with green leafy bitter vegetables

Best water

Ideal breakfast, lunch and dinner: Oatmeal or multigrain cereal, mixed greens salad with 2 ounces of protein

Don’t take too many vitamins, Ca, Glucosamine, Chondroiton, MSM – take only 3X a week, speak to your pharmacist about the many Rx’s you are taking.

Exercise

Walk at least ½ hour twice a day, or 10K steps a day - wear a pedometer

Weight training: Deadlift, Squats, Lunges, Clean and Press/Jerk, Snatches, Presses, Pulls – get some personal training and learn how to do these exercises with weights

Hourly routine: 10 squats, pushups, twists – takes 2 minutes for every hour you are awake – 3 X Day Week one, 5 X Day Week Two, 8X Day Week 3, 10 X Day Week 4

Try Yoga, Tai Ji, Qi Gong

Do Sauna, Massage, Steam room, Jacuzzi, or Thai Yoga Massage 1 x week

Most modern diseases can be treated with proper diet.

Robert,

Great info as always!

Thank you for sharing with us.
    Be well, train hard

Dale Dugas
    Shizi, Jiulong Baguazhang Instructor
    Master Level Dit Da Jow Manufacturer
    New England School of Acupuncture Master's Program

Boston Baguazhang

Combat Iron Palm Iron Vest Training

Boston Baguazhang on Youtube
    IKFF Forum

CDIA Supplies
    PO Box 35
    Quincy, MA
    02171-0001

617-595-8097

info@bostonbaguazhang.com

ok, how about the OTHER one...

you know, Type I, the kind that has nothing to do w/lifestyle and all that; how would you guys approach that from a TCM perspective?

asking because my kung-fu bro's son has it, and their cost for his meds just tripled thanks to the fu*kers at Medco, so just wondering what sort of adjunctive options might be available to maybe help decrease his regular dosage...not looking for anything radical to put the kid at risk, of course, just wondering what's out there...

Chu Sifu, In the past I went to my doctor for a bi annual checkup. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I was borderline, but still would have to deal with controlling my insulin. I also had cholesterol out of control, high triglycerides. Overweight. Generally poor health. I thought maybe too much soy sauce. I eat it on everything. Anyway, he wanted me to go on a diet. I could not hold to it and if I could it would not have helped me. I have a friend that had type 2 and he no longer has it. I talked to him. He writes books on diet and health. I started on a diet of only things that I could eat raw. Nothing that required cooking first or processing in any form or fashion. Of course I do cook my foods, and it is always a good idea today. But I could eat them raw if I chose. I eat all kinds of meat, poultry, and fish. potatoes can not be eaten raw to any degree, nor can most root vegetables. You can eat some of it, in small amounts, but large amounts will not digest well. Beans and peas in the green shells must be parboiled to remove the toxins first, so they can not really be eaten in any amount without causing problems. Corn can be eaten raw, but anyone that has eaten much at a setting will know that you will have problems later.
    After only 2 months on this diet, and eating all I really want all the time, I no longer have a problem with diabetes. My cholesterol is below 100 and my triglycerides are very low. I do walk and exercise daily, but the diet I claim success for. I lay blame to the fast food industry today for an obese America, and for the deaths of millions of Americans from heart disease and diabetes.