Thread: i want to learn monkey kungfu in china

1. i want to learn monkey kungfu in china

i want to learn Tai Shing Pek Kwar , i am interested to learn in china. I am from india , we share borders so it is easy to learn in china for me then learning in usa . I am not going to use this training for fighting, i want to learn it for stage purpose only. I am also want to learn the styles which uses high, flying kicks, tumbling etc

Can anyone recommend schools in china?
    thanks

There's traditional monkey styles in Sichuan, which almost borders India

I once saw some footage of a tournament that was strictly monkey style forms. I think that was from Sichuan.

But if you're looking for high flying stage performance stuff, you'll want to look into modern wushu, not TSPK. You should be able to find modern wushu in any Chinese metropolis.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

tai shing pek kwar,... Sifu Chow Keung is in hong kong. but they generally dont theach the monkey sets until later on. very later on. not sure if he has a website up anymore, the old link doesnt work.
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

why not learn from watching monkeys??? oberservation skills are free...

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    why not learn from watching monkeys??? oberservation skills are free...
    if you are in the zoo,

do you think that you are watching the monkeys?

or the monkeys are watching you?

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    if you are in the zoo,

do you think that you are watching the monkeys?

or the monkeys are watching you?
    i think in a zoo the monkeys just want to be set free.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    i think in a zoo the monkeys just want to be set free.
    I don't know if they "want" anything other than the normal instinctual wants.

like eating, sex or socialization.

free though? I don't think they understand free and they certainly don't seem to care about it at feeding time. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Most animals in the zoo are rescued from situations which would have otherwise killed them. They aren't exactly yanking monkeys from perfectly healthy groups.

Animal styles are not meant to be exact replications of animal movements, or else anything with dragon would be very confusing to figure out. This isn't just some country yokel looking at a monkey, imitating the movements, and then branding himself a master. Other techniques and changes are introduced in order to maximize effectiveness. Or else monkey practicioners would be picking bugs out of their oppenents' hair and throwing fecal matter at them.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

picking bugs and throwing fecal matter

I think that's uki's main attack strategy.

If you've dealt with monkeys in the wild, you know they are a force to be reckoned with. I've had some rough encounters with them in India and Indonesia. You just don't want to mess with them.

Drake is spot on with his comment. I do believe that a monkey style practitioner should spend some time with wild monkeys. I also think that a monkey style practitioner should study all the monkey myths and legends, like Journey to the West, even the Ramayana. But that's just me. I like to go deep.

Back OT, elavenil, if it's theatrical skills you are after, you might also investigate Chinese Opera schools. The Monkey King is a major opera. See our article A Day at the Beijing Opera: An Analysis of the Wushu and Acrobatic Skills of Beijing Opera By Emilio Alpanseque in our 2009 May/June issue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I think that's uki's main attack strategy.
    hey if it works, use it. i am also a fan of the abrupt monkey scream in your opponents face to startle the living poop out of them.

i cannot recall names or dates or locations, but one of the 'myths' 'legends' 'histories' i read one time was that an individual that developed A monkey style did so while being imprisoned.

already a martial artist, the prisoner was able to view wild monkeys out of his cell window at times, and from their playing and fighting began and eventually developed a method of monkey fist.

of course being an already developed martial artist is one of the key factors here....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

i have heard the same story... the martial arts are like anything else - once it clicks, it's understood almost completely and everything else is a mere fine tuning of ones ability.

Endocopresis

hey if it works, use it.
    Smearing is a psychotic disorder, you know. I've worked with a patient that smeared. That's just so nasty. Wasn't it Steve Martin that built a comic schtick on crapping on your money to put off muggers? Of course, that puts off everyone. So there's a point when it's survival and a point when it's just antisocial. Somehow, given that you've got a facial tat, I can't imagine being antisocial is a major hang up of yours.

But back OT, check this out elavenil: Drunken Monkey Kungfu. Chiu Chung Yat is from Hong Kong, so that's a lead if you go there.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Somehow, given that you've got a facial tat, I can't imagine being antisocial is a major hang up of yours.
    one of the monkeys greatest assets is it's unpredictability... take it from a tiger, they would know.