• Forms training

9 60.00%
  • Soft forms

2 13.33%
  • Hei Gung

2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of martial artist are you?

What kind of martial artist are you?

There is a lot of discussion about full contact, forms, technique training and becoming a good martial artist/fighter.

What kind of martial arts practice do you do?
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Started off wanting to fight all the time in my teens and twenties. Mid twenties I slowly began the appreciation for technique, learning applications of forms and learning about the history aspects of martial arts. Now that I am in my 40's, I'm slowly transitioning into a forms dancer and teaching.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

I'm the kind that likes to eat good food, commutes to work and enjoys his weekends.

yeah!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I voted

1. conditioning, most of the time, if you are not fit, everything is in the air.

2. some light sparring,

3. solo bagwork, partner work out with techniques, some equipment training.

most of the time is choice 1, and then choice 3

choice 2 is less and less for me. due to fewer and fewer fighting bodies that are in my age bracket from 45 to 55.

Had a brief full-contact career but nowadays focus on basic techniques, partner drills, forms & bagwork. None of my MA training partners are as into conditioning as I am, so I do strength (bodyweight exercises) & cardio (triathlon) training on my own.

I'm the very sexy type, surrounded by beautiful women, very rich, eccentric, did i mention sexy?
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

I did not vote for forms training.

I do pratice of single posture and some combo drills in the air and against pads/bags.

in a sense, they are short forms.

but practice a long form for the purpose of performance/show, that I do not favor.

I wish I could have edited the poll to read light sparring, light or no gloves. There's too big a gap between the two. Then again, you could probably break it into 7 categories just as easily.

MMA comp
    San Da comp
    Full Contact Kickboxing comp
    Club full contact
    Club full contact with body armour
    Club light contact with light gloves
    touch sparring

I think the big difference is between competition, club full and club light contact, more or less.

SPJ - I don't really associate any kinds of forms training as for show. Its just training...
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

i would consider myself one of the highly defensive types... i will not engage physically unless physically provoked to action... i let the other person make the first move. conditioning is a big part of my training. i practice elbows on a utility pole, which serves as my heavy bag at the moment(the deer ate the corn out of my last heavy bag). my masonry job provides ample weight training on a daily basis... i juggle the iron balls everyday for atleast a half hour total time. morning and evening free form work - most stepping is circular and spiraling - emphasis is mostly tiger and dragon aspects applied to bagua stepping patterns. i also have three posts in the ground for three-step forms... the poles help to forge and mold exact stepping methods/distance... as for my fighting "attitude", you can let my posts speak for themselves - nothing like a well placed goat-neck head.
    Last edited by uki; 10-23-2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: the deer ATE, not AT...

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    ...(the deer at the corn out of my last heavy bag)...
    Somewhere in here is a screenplay Uki.

My mate is a waterproofer, he puts on really thick goo with a brush all day.

You don't EVER want to let him grab you....

When work and training align, man you get some great results.

Do you get Melaluca (paperbark) trees there? Nature's heavy bag.
    Last edited by Yum Cha; 10-23-2009 at 02:29 PM.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    When work and training align, man you get some great results.
    i hear ya. you have to pad(chicken step) when wheeling concrete on wire, i use mantis hooks to climb scaffolding, deep horse to lift 5' lintels, stance work and root is everything when manuevering a 450lb wheelbarrow of concrete across uneven terrain or along 2x10 running planks... chimney blocks are held on the head, jumping up and off the truck every time... in and out of the hole... you can juggle bricks and stone, play cigar box juggling with smaller blocks... practice iron palm on FHA's, shoveling sand utilizes a variety of stances. i love my job, it has it all... even laying blocks i utilize bagua waist turning 180 degrees to lay the block to the line, while maintaining a frontal toe pointing position away from the wall that is being built. this week we are using 12's... full foundation, 14 courses high, capped with FHA's... 12 5' lintels on the 12th course... good stuff man.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    this week we are using 12's... full foundation, 14 courses high, capped with FHA's... 12 5' lintels on the 12th course... good stuff man.
    Nah good stuff = 12inch keystone, 120 pound retaining wall block... but oh I forgot there is no one else in the world who does any type of block work besides you... excuse me i'll step aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    excuse me i'll step aside.
    about time you observed the pecking order around here.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    order is a highly subjective term....

now thats a subjective subject based around subjectivity!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.