Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Street Fight vs Full-contact Competition

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    One thing about streetfights, you always have to look out for 'helpers' jumping in. That joker trying to shift his way through the crowd to get around your back for a sucker attack. Fortunately, they intimidate easily, in my experience.
    true dat....

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post

rules will make everything as fair as possible.

same weight and age range---
    Everything you said is true but this regarding age. I'm 35. I'm fighting young men 10 to 15 years younger then myself. I have experience and calmness.... but they bounce back from their training easier, which allows them to train harder, longer, more often. Many of them are also young and dumb enough to take steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    So, sparring a streetfighter in class wasn't much of a challenge? Bit surprising, sounds like he was out of his comfort zone.

What about the streetfight side?
    Not really a surprise. In a class you take away the fear, a huge amount of the benefit that aggression gives the ability to take the initiative and a large amount of the ability to use the environment amounts other things. Fundamentally you take away allot of the things that make street fighters street fighters.

I wasn’t surprised that given the above he wasn’t great; I was though surprised by how easy it was to intimidate him. I mean, at the time I was hearing stories about him getting in a fight with three guys which ended with him throwing one through a window.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Competition for sure:
    The whole anticipation period with it's ego bursts of elation, fear, calm, mania, comparison, doubt, overconfidence until you finally step up and your training takes over.

Street fights just happen. (I know David (((semantics))) )
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

in high school i tried to use kung fu fighting and horse stance on my friend and he double leg take down me and knee me in the face. i got knocked the fuk out my front teeth was loose for a few days and i was really worried i kept touching it i still remember today lol

by the way i think "street fighting" is a joke. most of the time its rich kids beating random people for fun or drunks at a bar.
    the "street encounters" i had the guy always had a knife. i either ran away or calmly give him the monehs and hope he doesnt stab me for fun. my cousins security got stabbed and his guts was falling out. dont think just because you manhandle some drunk or some college kids then you are a "streetfighter"
    Last edited by bawang; 10-25-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Competition means you (typically) fight a trained fighter ( someone that trains on a regular basis to fight).
    Street fight means you (typically) fight some shmo who THINKS he can fight.
    End of topic there.

I competed in full contact at amateur and national levels and I bounced and "street tested" my skills for many years, no comparision in regards to the skill level.
    However, a street fight was always and will always be, more POTENTIALLY dangerous.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

One street encounter in my life, when I found myself surrounded by a group of older teens in a park at night, demanding I pay their "toll". I kicked the mouthy one in the nuts while he was talking and threw him into the bushes and the others ran away (yelling threats behind them).

Far bigger adrenaline dump than all but one pre-arranged fight I've had - I walked on for another 5 minutes or so then I had to sit down I was shaking so much. I honestly don't know if I would have been able to switch on again at that point.

This was before I had a lot of full contact experience though. Biggest $hit I took in a comp was when I was watching some giant half American thai boxer tearing holes in the opposition in an open tournament in Penang. I was wondering who the poor sucker would be who had to face him next and turned out it was me. Lots of adrenaline loss right there (but I still managed to function. Strange feeling though).

In my case, I guess it all came down to how my head handled the situation. Street was a lot tougher, psychologically.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    ..However, a street fight was always and will always be, more POTENTIALLY dangerous.
    That is the whole difference, boiled down.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Competition means you (typically) fight a trained fighter ( someone that trains on a regular basis to fight).
    Street fight means you (typically) fight some shmo who THINKS he can fight.
    End of topic there.

I competed in full contact at amateur and national levels and I bounced and "street tested" my skills for many years, no comparision in regards to the skill level.
    However, a street fight was always and will always be, more POTENTIALLY dangerous.
    I know some enforcers who'd disagree about the quality of prison fighting aka the skreets vs a ref in a cage saying go...

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    I know some enforcers who'd disagree about the quality of prison fighting aka the skreets vs a ref in a cage saying go...
    So do I and I have beaten up more of those than I care to remember.
    Its nice to ASSume that a person who develops his skills in the ring has NO street experience or any idea of what it entails to fight in "the street", its a nice ASSumption, it just ISN'T real.
    Of the guys I bounced and "tested" with over the many years, only 1 had no formal "sport" MA training and he STILL trained like the "sport fighter" ie: he fought consistently full contact with skilled fighters and focused on conditioning and fighting.

So do I and I have beaten up more of those than I care to remember.
    Its nice to ASSume that a person who develops his skills in the ring has NO street experience or any idea of what it entails to fight in "the street", its a nice ASSumption, it just ISN'T real.
    Of the guys I bounced and "tested" with over the many years, only 1 had no formal "sport" MA training and he STILL trained like the "sport fighter" ie: he fought consistently full contact with skilled fighters and focused on conditioning and fighting.

What he said, most of the fighters I know work security to make ends meet, the hours allow them to get plenty of training in and the environment is great for testing out new techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    What he said, most of the fighters I know work security to make ends meet, the hours allow them to get plenty of training in and the environment is great for testing out new techniques
    Pretty much.
    My last bouncing gig which ended in 98 was at a local club called G-Spot, I worked VIP, we had 12 bouncers there, they did:
    MT, Wrestling, KB, Boxing, Powerlifting (always need those guys), ****o-ryu Karate, Judo, TKD or combination of systems.
    Even the strict TMA guys I boucned with over the years were ALL functional MA, in other words, they ALL had full contact fighting experience of some sort, ALL of them.
    The other guys had competed when tournaments were as close to full contact as you can get.
    I did work with a few "point" guys and "too deadly" guys, but they never lasted more than a few weekends.