Thread: Ninja

Ninja

Just in time for KungFuMagazine.com's NINJA STAR 2009

Ninja Trailer

Entertainment: Code of the ninja
    2009/10/28

Vengeance, betrayal, love and honour spice up action flick Ninja.

NINJAS are back!

If their popularity peaked in the 1980s and consequently dipped (with the arrival of more glamorous action figures on the big screen in later years), these trained assassins have now returned to cinemas with a more sophisticated look.

Following the ultra-cool ninjas in recent box-office hit G.I Joe: The Rise of Cobra, a new movie that revolves around these high-skilled martial arts experts will hit the cinemas tomorrow.

The latest Hollywood take on the highly-regarded Japanese assassins is Ninja.

It is distributed for nationwide release by RAM Entertainment and directed by Isaac Forentine. It stars Scott Adkins (of X-Men Origins: Wolverine), Tsuyoshi Ihara, Mika Hijii and Garrick Hagon.

Many generations ago, ninjas were needed to defend humanity from its greatest threats.

Once those threats were vanquished, the ninjas agreed to put down their weapons and dedicate their lives to teaching lessons of non-violence and inner peace.

Their weapons were stored in a sacred chest known as the Yoroi Bitsu. In the present day, the Yoroi Bitsu is still protected by ninjas. The last of the mystical ninja sensei protects it while instructing his eager young pupils in the ninja traditions.

Casey (Scott Adkins) is a hard-working American martial arts expert who was abandoned by his mother and raised as an orphan.

Masazuka (Tsuyoshi Ihara) is a hotheaded ninja with a chip on his shoulder. Namiko (Mika Hijii), the sensei’s daughter, finds herself attracted to both men.

When tensions in the love-triangle come to a head, Masazuka loses control of his emotions and breaks the code of the ninja.

As a result, he is banned from the dojo. However, he swears to return.

Vengeance, betrayal, love and honour form the backbone to this action flick that is set to woo fans who love a simple tale of heroism with a mystical backdrop.
    The reviewer overlooked Ninja Assassin, but we'll overlook that.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More on NINJA

According to IMDB, this released in Malaysia last week, in the U.S. sometime this year and in the U.K. sometime next year. ComingSoon.net doesn't even have a listing for it, so I'm suspect of that U.S. release date. It did have a listing for Ninja Gold by John Woo...
    Thursday October 29, 2009
    Mean business

Scott Adkins delivers all the kicks and punches in Ninja.

AFTER an absence from martial arts-driven films, the ever-mysterious martial arts of ninja is making a comeback on the big screen.

Late next month, there’s Ninja Assassins which stars Seoul-born artiste Rain, and while in cinemas today is Ninja, headlined by Scott Adkins, last seen in Wolverine.

Ninjas are said to be covert agents or mercenaries in feudal Japan whose speciality is in the unorthodox arts of war.
    Defender of sacred weapons: Casey (Scott Adkins) is fighting for his life in Ninja.

Ninja starts at a less volatile time when these dark agents have agreed to put down their arms to lead a peaceful life. All their weapons are stored in a chest known as Yoroi Bitsu.

Coming into the present-day picture, are Casey (Adkins) who is a Caucasian martial arts expert, and Masazuka, a ninja with a temper. The two come to terrible blows, resulting in Masazuka leaving but not before vowing to return and claim Yoroi Bitsu for himself.

Masazuka keeps to his word and returns with an army of assassins all hell-bent on getting the sacred weapons. It is up to Casey, to stop this from happening.

In an e-mail interview provided by RAM Entertainment (the film’s distributor), Adkins said that he wanted to participate in this film because he has always been a fan of this ancient art.

“I remember my father bought me a ninja suit when I was 12 and I never took it off. My brother commented, when he found out I was doing the movie, that he couldn’t believe I was still running around in ninja suits: ‘But now you’re getting paid for it!’

“Honestly, I’d always wanted to do a ninja movie and I had some of my own ideas that I was working on for a film, which ultimately ended up in the script. It was a perfect opportunity for me.”

Adkins, who has had training in kickboxing and taekwondo since he was 10, found it challenging to switch to this Japanese form of art.

So Adkins paid special attention to the Japanese-styled strikes and kicks, and learned to use the katana (Japanese sword) properly.

“We also use other weapons like throwing stars, kusarigama (sickle on a metal chain) and the nunchuka (two sticks connected by a short chain). I’m actually quite good at using the nunchuka but when you try and do it with a ninja suit on and a sword attached to your back, it creates a whole new set of problems.

“It was just a case of adapting my own style to that of Casey’s.”

Naturally, when it came to filming, Adkins wanted to do all the martial arts fights himself, leaving only stunts like getting hit by a car or jumping off a 10-storey building to the professionals.

“One of the best stunts I did for this movie was a somersault over a moving car. I’m pretty sure that the producer was getting very nervous, but I basically told him I was doing it and there was nothing on Earth that was going to stop me.”

At the same time, he found it funny that even though he did most of the stunts, the audience wouldn’t be able to tell if it’s really him executing all the nifty moves because of the ninja suit which covers up everything.

“But it’s important to me that the audience know that it’s Scott Adkins that they’re watching and not a group of stunt men.”

Like how he knew he wanted Adkins as the hero of Ninja, director Isaac Florentine knew the villain of the movie had to be played by Japanese actor Tsuyoshi Ihara (Letters From Iwo Jima).

For one, Ihara has learned martial arts as well, enabling him to hold his own when scenes required him to fight with Adkins.

The 33-year-old English actor remembered the first time he sparred with Ihara for a scene on the rooftop of a police station, and how Ihara was pushing the routine to the limit. However, not being new to working with foreigners, he just worked harder.

Adkins’ break into show business came when he participated in a Hong Kong film titled Extreme Challenge. Making his way there, he ended up working with some of Hong Kong’s bigwigs including Yuen Woo Ping, Corey Yuen, Sammo Hung and Jackie Chan.

“I love to work with actors from Asia compared to those of Hollywood. The Japanese and Chinese actors will never complain like they do in my country. They are so professional and so hard working and they understand that it is a collaborative effort and it’s not just all about them.

“Also, there is much more of an understanding of how to deliver action on screen and you need that for a movie like this.

“Asia has a great list of action stars who do their own stunts and are fantastic physical performers. I can only hope that Asian audiences will find it refreshing to see someone like myself who can give artistes like Tony Jaa and Donnie Yen a run for their money.

“I am a huge fan of Asian cinema and was lucky enough to work with people like Jackie Chan and Yuen Woo Ping. I learnt many things from these people but I was always the bad guy. It’s good to know that I can now appear in Asia as the hero.” – Compiled by Mumtaj Begum

Ninja opens nationwide today.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

from everything ive seen of this im not impressed at all. but hey wbo doesnt like a ninja lol.

I feel ya, Doug.

I love my ninja movies.

Here's another review. It begs the question, where is the very gay ninja?

MOVIE REVIEW: A very straight Ninja
    Submitted by gabey on Thursday, October 29th, 2009
    Amir Hafizi
    Thursday, October 29th, 2009 16:19:00

A Western dude trained in the ways of the ninja has to protect an ancient wooden box from a rogue techno ninja who killed their sensei (master). What do we call this film? Ninja, of course.

Could have called it The Last Ninja. Tom Cruise wouldn’t mind.

If the title didn’t give away how straightforward this movie is, the first monologue — two minutes into it — gave away all the plot.

First and foremost, this is not Ninja Assassin, the one by the Wachowskis and starring Rain, the Korean pretty boy. This was Ninja, and not only was the story so very ‘heterosexual’, everything about it was straight and screams ‘video games’.

In fact, watching it is like reading Ken’s bio when you finish his stages in Streetfighter.

Casey (Scott Adkins of X-Men Origins: Wolverine) is an orphan who was brought up by his sensei, Takada after his mother left him. He is a favoured student and has a platonic relationship with his sensei’s daughter Namiko (rhymes with Namco) played by Mika Hijii. Cue jealousy, and perhaps *****-envy, from the antagonist Masakuza (Tsuyoshi Ihara).

Masakuza manages to get himself expelled from the dojo after attacking Casey with a sword. Thus begins his career as ‘techno ninja’ who uses guns and night vision goggles, and perhaps even the Internet, to kill Russian oligarchs. He wants the Yoroi Bitsu, a wooden box kept by Takada and this sparks a series of unlikely events.

For example, if you were told by a rogue ninja that he wants to steal your wooden box, what would be the best place to keep it? A dojo filled with other ninja masters, perhaps? No. Send it to New York, to a frickin’ museum, where no Western dude can hold the techno ninja for two seconds without getting his jugular slashed with a carbon fibre katana.

Also, if you were a ninja master, why would you be walking outside, in your gi and geta (wooden sandals) in the middle of a torrential downpour, carrying two sais? The ground is wet and slippery, man! You could keel over and stab yourself with your sharp, pointy weapons. No wonder ninjas don’t get insurance coverage.

That being said, the action sequences were pretty okay. Not mindblowing, but if you watch it after a hard day’s work, and feel like beating people up, Ninja can certainly deliver. Mika Hijii is also very cute — she looks like she’s just about to burst into tears, even while fighting using her ‘awesome ninja skills’ — and makes you want to get out and get Kamen Rider Blade just to see more of her.

Come to think of it, Ninja is so manly that Namiko, the daughter of a ninja master, can barely hold her own in fights and is only effective if she has a stick in her hands. Mmm... Freudian slip?

Anyway, this movie doesn’t even have a Wikipedia page, meaning it screams “direct-to-video”, except here in Malaysia. Oh well. It’s all right, really, as a stress-reliever.

Meanwhile, the trailer of Raging Phoenix, another release by the same distributor, RAM Entertainment, looks promising. It’s got a Thai girl martial artist fighting using muay thai and breakdancing. Gotta catch that one!

Ninja opens today nationwide.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

There's a guerilla thrash metal band here in Portland called Ninja. They just show, ninja suited of course, with battery powered amps and a little drum kit and rock out... then fade away into the night, without a trace.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    There's a guerilla thrash metal band here in Portland called Ninja. They just show, ninja suited of course, with battery powered amps and a little drum kit and rock out... then fade away into the night, without a trace.
    dude thats rad. i live in portland, hopefully ill get maraudered by them some day. where do you train around here?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I'm living out in Banks, so mostly my in-laws' backyard. Plus, I'm kind of a lazy ******* when it comes to my training.

dayum yo, you're farkin out thar! thats past hillsboro isnt it?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Wasn't this done already?

Hello,

But this sounds a lot like the book The Ninja by Eric Von Lustbader. The book was about a white guy, Nicholas Linnear, trained in Ninjustu in Japan. His main rival in the book also liked the same girl and she was a reason for the bad guy going bad, although he was already training in the darker side of Ninjutsu.

If I recall correctly there was to be a movie based on the book but I do not seem to remember it ever coming out.

Anyhow, the similarities are pretty telling, imho.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    dayum yo, you're farkin out thar! thats past hillsboro isnt it?
    Yeah, out past Hillsboro.

Just rented this last night and was very pleasantly surprised...good action, decent acting, a interesting story line...and oh by the way did I mention NINJAS?!!!
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Ninja 2009

I'm surprised that I didn't see a thread about this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTOMS-zaXXU

lower budget and less special effects but still seems more interesting compared to Ninja Assassin.

my bad I should done my due diligence