Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: butterfly knives versus broadsword

butterfly knives versus broadsword

All:

Which weapons form do you recommend to learn first between the butterfly knives or the broadsword?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    I've learned the two man form version first before learning the set itself
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Excuse my ignorance. Which weapon for the 2 man form version.

Blog Entries
    the single butterfly

Thanks. My choice is to learn the 2 butterfly knives set or 1 broadsword.

Blog Entries
    oh very cool

When you hold each weapon(s) which ones call to you more, or feel better in your hand? if you have absolutely no weapon experience, it may be better for you to learn the broadsword first, as you only need to concentrate on one weapon.

as you develop your skills with the sword, you will begin then to have more control over your empty hand, which is never doing nothing, it is as active as the sword. at which point when you cross over to the dual knives, your main hand will be quite comfortable and your off hand will be to a stage that it isnt completely stupid, making it easier to adapt to using a weapon. you can essentiall then focus more on your off hand, as your main hand is pretty conditioned to weapon use from the sword.

of course, this may not be the case for you at all.

id go with what ever you like more

edit: this is one of the reasons that a lot of people begin with a staff. its only one weapon but utilizes both hands and can be quite basic.

will you be able to weapon spar at all?
    Last edited by Lucas; 10-29-2009 at 03:47 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I just finished using the wooden staff. I am leaning toward the 2 knives because then I can stengthen each hand with a weapon on each hand. As you suggested, with the sword, 1 hand would be idled. I would not be sparring with the weapons. Thanks.

Go single broadsword then move onto butterfly knives. Single weapon makes sense first as the principles are a bit different. I think it will make it easier starting with the broadsword.

out of curiosity is this the normal routine for weapon progression at your school; staff, then a choice between the knives or broadsword?

as in does everyone learn staff then choose between broadsword or knives for the second weapon?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I teach double ended staff first. It's a good starter weapon, teaches body awareness, balance, ambidexterity, etc. The next weapon I teach is the broadsword, as it teaches the student to open and close, and the techniques translate to single stick, which means that anything you pick up, can be used as a weapon in self-defense. I teach alot of kali drills, attacks, counters, disarms, two-man drills,which come right out of our form. After the student feels comfortable with the stick, they learn the form much easier.
    Butterfly knives I teach a bit later. I really enjoy this set. It's challenging, very dynamic, and has great application. Again, I teach application drills first, before learning the set, as I do with empty hand sets as well.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I think it depends on your body type. Broadsword always seemed more natural for my body type (I'm kind of lanky) rather than Butterfly knives. Broadsword is more of a slicing weapon and butterfly swords are more of a hacking weapon. I got the best of both worlds when I learned the double broadswords.

That being said, it's pretty cool that you could theoretically hide your b-fly knives in a long coat for a surprise attack. BTW, if you buy butterfly knives don't by the tiger claw ones as they're nickel plated and unbalanced toward the end of the blade. See if you can find some that are plain uncoated steel. Only downside is they'll rust if you don't oil them.

Cheers,

EO

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    out of curiosity is this the normal routine for weapon progression at your school; staff, then a choice between the knives or broadsword?

as in does everyone learn staff then choose between broadsword or knives for the second weapon?
    After learning the wooden staff, my Sifu gave me the choice of going with the 2 butterfly knives or the single broadsword. I also e-mailed DFW and he suggested the 2 butterfly knives unless I had a lot of weapons training.

the reason i ask is if your teacher gave you the option of broadsword or knives, he may feel that you will do well with either at this point. he of course knows you and i dont.

my personal progression was the same as ten tigers lays out.

have fun with what ever you choose

Kung Fu is good for you.