Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: favor

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    To be fair, the historical Buddha was Nepalese wasn't he?
    Nepal has never been conquered or possessed by anyone but the Nepalese.

And Bodhidharma may very well have been Persian by some accounts. There are a couple of good arguments for this.

By the time Buddhism rolled into China, it was spread a whole lot further than just India. It was almost a thousand years old when it took root in China in and around 400-550 CE.

Also, barefoot zen is a wankbook that is full of shyte. Hippy dippy shlock of little or no value at it's best.

Don't bother with it. Read Watts, or Suzuki if you want a particularly western look at zen. :-)
    For pop zen, "Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance" or Herman Hesse "Siddartha" are good reads too. I think Thomas is a younger guy?

I think you're under a couple of mis-conceptions. The first that martial arts all came from Shaolin.
    The second that only Chan (Zen) practitioners studied Shaolin arts.

There are many lay arts, family styles, sport styles, personal styles that incorporate no spiritualism beyond the mental discipline, focus and motivation required to excel.

Except for Pak Mei, of course, an evil art designed to break the Shaolin temple training and murder the monks. We worship the devil and call on demons, so, that's kinda spiritual, in a way....
    Last edited by Yum Cha; 11-10-2009 at 02:48 PM.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

If you started with yourself sh!t howdy I'd pay to see that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Holy SH!t, you mean martial arts isn't some spiritual mumbo jumbo????

Any you guys need someone to lop your head off while you gut yourselves??

I'm available monday and thursdays in the evening, other than that you'll have to find someone else.

seriously does this actually suprise anyone? Only in recent years have people added the "zen/spiritual" crap. martial "meaning war like" does not come as a surprise to me. People just need an excuse for some things and here is a prime example.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up