Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Cung Le telling us, what we want to hear?

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    and why would you assume that just because he hasnt grappled much in his fights doesnt mean he doesnt know what to do he has a wrestling base a blue belt in bjj and a good clinch game from sanshou

if he was easy to take down it would have been done already
    Umm where did I say he couldn’t grapple, I said he couldn’t hang with the better ground fighters. I didn’t say anything about his clinch or takedown defence

a blue belt in BJJ will not be about to hang with the likes of Shields, Diaz or Jacare on the ground wouldn’t you agree? Let alone the better guys in the UFC

It seems strike force agree as they have given him a Thai fighter for his next fight after giving him Shamrock in his last fight (a once great ground guy who has such knee problems that he doesn’t train the ground anymore)

ya i loved how shamrock said he was going to keep it standing in all the prefight interviews, but during the fight he did have one real takedown attempt you can tell he really tried with, but it was stuffed back at him.

i was never really clear on shamrocks stance regarding the issue with his arm being fractured....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

He probably feels that its not a good idea to block kicks with his wrist and forearm. At least that'd be my stance after that fight if I were him.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Umm where did I say he couldn’t grapple, I said he couldn’t hang with the better ground fighters. I didn’t say anything about his clinch or takedown defence

a blue belt in BJJ will not be about to hang with the likes of Shields, Diaz or Jacare on the ground wouldn’t you agree? Let alone the better guys in the UFC

It seems strike force agree as they have given him a Thai fighter for his next fight after giving him Shamrock in his last fight (a once great ground guy who has such knee problems that he doesn’t train the ground anymore)
    oh come on if cung would have still been in the game he would have fought sheilds or mayhem and went through them like a knife through butter

even with the fight shields had with mayhem the announcers noted he didnt want any of millers stand up thats why he tried to take it to the ground now imagine him fighting a striker on the level of cung?

its not exactly easy to take some one down when there are feet and fists flying at you

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    He probably feels that its not a good idea to block kicks with his wrist and forearm. At least that'd be my stance after that fight if I were him.
    ya no doubt. frank always came off to me as an ass, im wondering if he played it up like he thought w/o that fracture he could have come away with the victory.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

frank came off too me like he was more of a mental patient than an ass lol

frank came off too me like he was more of a mental patient than an ass lol
    its not exactly easy to stay on your feet in a confined space when someone is desperately trying to get you on the floor, as I said Cung has a good base of wrestling, but if the fight hits the ground he is in real trouble with the likes of shields and diaz, and strike force know that hence his next fight is with a thai guy, I am not bashing him, its just his weakness is the ground

oh and shamrocks an ass and a blow hard but in his prime he would have destroyed Cung, and hung with just about anyone out there at his weight

but the thing is with most grapplers they body lock you then take you down thats not the smartest thing to do with a sanshou guy like cung because the minute you grab him you usually go sailing in the air on to your ass with a throw so again his clinch wrestling and throwing from sanshou is good for stuffing take down attempts if the take down is stuffed it makes his opponents grappling useless

but the thing is with most grapplers they body lock you then take you down thats not the smartest thing to do with a sanshou guy like cung because the minute you grab him you usually go sailing in the air on to your ass with a throw so again his clinch wrestling and throwing from sanshou is good for stuffing take down attempts if the take down is stuffed it makes his opponents grappling useless
    You know grapplers that use the body lock are well aware of the counters..... Its not like sanshou has the monopoly on throwing people to counter a take down, wrestling and judo do it as well

anyway again why are you arguing? my point is that if a fight goes to the ground against a half decent ground guy he is in trouble, and as good at the clinch as he is there are equally as good wrestlers out there that can take him down..... If he ever gets to fight them

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    You know grapplers that use the body lock are well aware of the counters..... Its not like sanshou has the monopoly on throwing people to counter a take down, wrestling and judo do it as well

anyway again why are you arguing? my point is that if a fight goes to the ground against a half decent ground guy he is in trouble, and as good at the clinch as he is there are equally as good wrestlers out there that can take him down..... If he ever gets to fight them
    i didnt argue sanshou has the monoply on throws however you must do standing grappling to get to ground grappling and cung is superior to a lof of guys at that

he is an accomplished grappler in sambo and wrestling and wether he can defend against these supposed top grapplers is merely a matter of opinion and little else

as i said they must get past his strikes and clinch game first to even get to the ground which is easier said than done

sure if cung le enters a grappling tournament maybe he is at a disadvantage but this is mma

i didnt argue sanshou has the monoply on throws however you must do standing grappling to get to ground grappling and cung is superior to a lof of guys at that

he is an accomplished grappler in sambo and wrestling and wether he can defend against these supposed top grapplers is merely a matter of opinion and little else

as i said they must get past his strikes and clinch game first to even get to the ground which is easier said than done

sure if cung le enters a grappling tournament maybe he is at a disadvantage but this is mma

supposed top grapplers? in my original post I listed 2 BJJ black belts one of whom is pound for pound one of the top grapplers in the world

Yes this is MMA and he has not faced an oponent that is even half good yet, and at 37 his time is running out

yes it could be a matter of opinion

yes but as i said a grappler no matter how good he is must get from point a to point b first with cung le

theres no point in arguing how awesome a grappler is if cung le just lays him flat on his arse like frank did to cesar gracie for example then his grappling skills do not mean anything

and a fight starts standing up so someone like shields for example is already at a huge disadvantage

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    cung has a wrestling background and knows the game. That's what makes his stand up so good, he can work it better because he has a good take down defense.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

You know, I'm going to defend Cung Le here (not that he needs defending), simply because it gets old hearing people talk about how he hasn't done this, hasn't done that. Look, when Cung fought his first MMA opponent, I think it was Fryklund, people kept saying wait until he gets taken down. Of course, after Cung wins the guy sucked at grappling, even though some of his opponents were supposed to be mostly grapplers.

Then comes the Frank Shamrock fight. People went on and on about how Cung was finally going to be exposed and Frank would destroy him, but, guess what, he didn't. Then came the Shamrock excuses, he was too old, he has a bad knee, he said he was going to stand with Cung, blah, blah, blah. Honestly speaking Cung Le is not the caliber of fighter of Anderson Silva, and as much as I would love to see that fight, I think Cung would lose. But I really get tired of the Cung Le haters always making excuses as to why he is WINNING. Get over it.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

:
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    You know, I'm going to defend Cung Le here (not that he needs defending), simply because it gets old hearing people talk about how he hasn't done this, hasn't done that. Look, when Cung fought his first MMA opponent, I think it was Fryklund, people kept saying wait until he gets taken down. Of course, after Cung wins the guy sucked at grappling, even though some of his opponents were supposed to be mostly grapplers.

Then comes the Frank Shamrock fight. People went on and on about how Cung was finally going to be exposed and Frank would destroy him, but, guess what, he didn't. Then came the Shamrock excuses, he was too old, he has a bad knee, he said he was going to stand with Cung, blah, blah, blah. Honestly speaking Cung Le is not the caliber of fighter of Anderson Silva, and as much as I would love to see that fight, I think Cung would lose. But I really get tired of the Cung Le haters always making excuses as to why he is WINNING. Get over it.
    Have you actually read this **** thread? i said he would have trouble with guys who are good on the ground, thats it, Nothing was said about him being bad in the clinch or stand up areas......

and who said frank would win, he has had bad knees for ever jesus