Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TEXAS thread

Ah, I take that it doesn't look like anyone in this San Antonio gathering is into contemporary wushu? Have fun guys.

Ah no.......

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    Then he was being a *****. It is easy to show and teach a newb Taiji, Muay Thai, Judo, etc. without hurting them or even beating them up. Pulling that with a guy pushing 60 is just a $hitty thing to do.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that's 'good training'. It's just bullying.
    Ah sorry WD, I guess I got a little carried away with the emphasis.....

If anything, he bent over backwards to be gentle, it was kinda embarrassing to tell the truth... once he got me moving in the direction he wanted me to go, he let me go promptly!

I was just very impressed with his strength and balance! Imagining him tossing around bad guys with taiji - he didn't really need his kung fu at all.

Actually, when finances improve, I intend to go back to him for qigong and meditation.

But the best advice I got after 4 weeks was he said if I ever wanted to do push hands again; to take his chin na class and learn the moves first. All the push hands I had seen before was a sort of gentle back and forth.... His is more like sparring.....

So what I meant to say was not about his roughness; but complimentary in that he did not dilute his instruction for his "market". His other taiji students are a tae kwan do black belt in his 50's and otherwise some skinny Chinese guys in their 30's in real good shape. I was the first, and probably the last old, fat, slow guy he's had for a student. Most of his students are kung fu kids between 5 and 15 jumpin' and flippin' all over the place, just amazing!

Sorry again WD.....
    .... Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    Cool. The youngest will love that. I've begun training my 13 year old. I don't think Tai Chi will be a big part of his training, but the pushing hands is gonna be very important.

Would you mind doing some drilling with the kid? I'd like to take advantage of your Muay Thai experience.
    sure thing, no problem
    i have my own set of thai pads

was thinking about going back to muay thai but just realized that all my training equipment's at the house (had to unload so i could use the trunk space to move stuff).
    might be getting back to it sometime this week.

Quote Originally Posted by zhugeliang View Post
    Ah, I take that it doesn't look like anyone in this San Antonio gathering is into contemporary wushu? Have fun guys.
    umm, well if you haven't gathered, most of us are a little older.
    I could see teenagers and guys in their early 20s going for wushu, but once you start slowing down in your 30s, the acrobatics aren't so good for the body.
    in my case i've got the added strain of being a big guy - contemp wushu's definitely not made for big guys.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

umm, well if you haven't gathered, most of us are a little older.
    I could see teenagers and guys in their early 20s going for wushu, but once you start slowing down in your 30s, the acrobatics aren't so good for the body.
    in my case i've got the added strain of being a big guy - contemp wushu's definitely not made for big guys.
    Oh, okay, got it. Have fun big older guys. Little ones like me will go to Houston for the contemp wushu (aka endless agony and torture).

Houston guys..

Oh, okay, got it. Have fun big older guys. Little ones like me will go to Houston for the contemp wushu (aka endless agony and torture).
    Hmmmmnnn....

Well - some of us Houston guys are quite a bit older actually...

I would love to be 1/2 my age again... 30......
    .... Skip

you got the agony and torture right
    not so sure about the "endless"
    we all slow down eventually

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip J. View Post
    Hmmmmnnn....
    Well - some of us Houston guys are quite a bit older actually...
    I would love to be 1/2 my age again... 30......
    Well I'm assuming since he didn't qualify competition taiji as contemporary wushu, he means the more acrobatic external forms like the compulsory routines.
    lately, i only train for health and for fun.
    when it gets more serious, i train to hurt folks.
    blowing out my knees trying to perform a 720 aerial just doesn't fit into that equation.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 11-17-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

a 720

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Well I'm assuming since he didn't qualify competition taiji as contemporary wushu, he means the more acrobatic external forms like the compulsory routines.....blowing out my knees trying to perform a 720 aerial just doesn't fit into that equation.
    Hey PC;

I love to watch young folks performing that stuff, but never in my wildest dreams would I think of trying it... the absolute best part about taiji for old folks is that it is 90% in your mind...
    .... Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Skip J. View Post
    Hey PC;

I love to watch young folks performing that stuff, but never in my wildest dreams would I think of trying it... the absolute best part about taiji for old folks is that it is 90% in your mind...
    yah i'm pretty much in the same boat

when i was doing a lot traditional southern longfist type stuff (5+ years ago), i'd get tendinitis so bad in my knees from the low stances that i would have to crawl up the stairs inside my townhouse apartment just to make it to the bed. it's a big reason i eventually quit doing it, and why my attempts to learn hung gar were all eventually aborted.

heck, going back even further, about 10 years ago (my early 20s) i was doing a lot of wah lum type of stuff (which has very similar demands to modern wushu). spent more of my time laid up with knee & ankle injuries than actually training.

When i was 17 and 145lbs it wasn't such a big deal, but since becoming an adult, I'm just not built for that stuff.

If I could just figure out how to break fall without getting broken, I'd be more than happy to stick with judo, taiji, muay thai, and boxing. Xingyi or something short hand like fukien or hakka styles would also be awesome to play with.

on my feet

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    If I could just figure out how to break fall without getting broken, I'd be more than happy to stick with judo, taiji, muay thai, and boxing. Xingyi or something short hand like fukien or hakka styles would also be awesome to play with.
    I hear ya PC, I really do.... staying on my feet is priority #1.... anytime my head gets near the floor something has gone badddddd wrong....

On the other hand, have'n been there before.... the desire to really work out stays with you a long, long time... it's a hard habit to break.....
    .... Skip

I had to stop training long fist/wing chun at dragon martial arts, because my night classes are monday through thursday.

So, I'm trying to make the saturday classes at Alamo Judo. I figured I'd get the most out of that if I can only do one class a week.

I'm down for any local training.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post

So, I'm trying to make the saturday classes at Alamo Judo. I figured I'd get the most out of that if I can only do one class a week.
    That's my club, Bro. I've been out a while, but should be back in full core come January 1. I'm preparing my body for it now. Have you been there before? We might know each other if you have. I'm the brown belt with the beard.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I know...

I've been there a few times but i don't remember any brown belts. Last sat was the first day I saw anybody who wasn't a white or black belt.
    Last edited by SanHeChuan; 11-17-2009 at 09:50 PM.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

I'll try and show up next Saturday. We can do a lil randori.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon