Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TEXAS thread

push hands

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    Skip, I did Tai Chi for about ten years doing William C.C. Chen's stuff. It was about ten years ago, but I wouldn't mind some push hands if you're ever around San Antonio.
    Thanks WD;

But I'm going to have to take a whole lot more of it (someday) before I try it out of class. Being thrown by a young monk in good shape kinda opened my eyes - this is no lite sparring, he only knows the real thing... Right now I'm concentrating on learning the 32 before competing in Dallas next summer, I'm about 1/2 way thru so far... Then next year I will concentrate on improving the 32 enough to certify as an instructor, which will also help me in the next year's competition.
    .... Skip

That sounds quite interesting...I was thinking of taking of Tai Chi again as something for later on down the line. Not trying to imply it's only for the older generations...its just that I'd like to continue practicing the other stuff now while I still can.

Anyone know of a any legitimate Tai Chi instructors in SA? Someone who knows the martial version and not the "exercise" version?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post

Anyone know of a any legitimate Tai Chi instructors in SA? Someone who knows the martial version and not the "exercise" version?
    *raises hand and blushes*
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    That sounds quite interesting...I was thinking of taking of Tai Chi again as something for later on down the line. Not trying to imply it's only for the older generations...its just that I'd like to continue practicing the other stuff now while I still can.

Actually, the ones who start younger - and particularly when they have been in kung fu awhile - progress much faster than those of us who start later "when we have time to get around to it". The guys and gals who do both in their 20's and 30's seem to shift more towards taiji in their 40's. Their sword forms look more like kung fu than taiji and they just come naturally to push hands thru chin na.

For us old ones, all we can do is just skim the surface a little bit with the few years we have left to us on the planet... but.... 90% of all taiji students start after the age of 50, and most of them after 60, including China. The thing for old folks is that you never get bored, there's always something new to learn...
    .... Skip

*raises hand and blushes*
    dude we gotta work taiji sometime
    i did a lot of that when i was in high school
    the forms were competition stuff, but we did a ton of push hands
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Skip J. View Post
    Right now I'm concentrating on learning the 32 before competing in Dallas next summer, I'm about 1/2 way thru so far... Then next year I will concentrate on improving the 32 enough to certify as an instructor, which will also help me in the next year's competition.
    man i learned 32 sword first
    and then 42 sword a year later
    i can still bust out some sections but not so sure i could go a whole form
    and not even sure which form that'd be
    we did a lot of "push swords" practice supplementary to the form
    it was fun, i miss those days
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

push swords

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    we did a lot of "push swords" practice supplementary to the form....it was fun, i miss those days
    Ahhhh, push swords... I guess that would be the natural progression from the sword forms.... it'll be another year or two before I'm into weapons tho..... I still am thinking about starting a class of beginners; which would swamp a lot of my available taiji time
    .... Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    dude we gotta work taiji sometime
    i did a lot of that when i was in high school
    the forms were competition stuff, but we did a ton of push hands
    Lemme know when, Bro.

I'm down for that as well. I haven't done any tai chi stuff since 2001. Needless to say I've forgotten most of the sequences.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I suggest we set something up then.

Well on the weekends I have time but can't leave the house, coz the kid makes it very difficult.
    You guys are all more than welcome to come over and hang out - we can do stuff in the back yard or the garage.

Otherwise my life is pretty much work and gold's gym.

weekends work for me if I can bring the kids along.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip J. View Post
    Thanks WD;

Being thrown by a young monk in good shape kinda opened my eyes - this is no lite sparring, he only knows the real thing...
    Then he was being a *****. It is easy to show and teach a newb Taiji, Muay Thai, Judo, etc. without hurting them or even beating them up. Pulling that with a guy pushing 60 is just a $hitty thing to do.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that's 'good training'. It's just bullying.

weekends work for me if I can bring the kids along.
    always welcome to bring the kids along
    i got nintendo wii & good cable now to entertain
    not quite finished moving in yet (still working on my fence & have to clean out the old apartment) but maybe we could start something regular after thanksgiving.

Cool. The youngest will love that. I've begun training my 13 year old. I don't think Tai Chi will be a big part of his training, but the pushing hands is gonna be very important.

Would you mind doing some drilling with the kid? I'd like to take advantage of your Muay Thai experience.