Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Southern Praying Mantis the same style as "phoenix eye fist" kung fu/Chukka?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I am not certain, but this looks to be southern mantis. The stance is too wide and the arms are wasting energy.
    I think the stance is rather comfortable and if boxing has shown us anything, its that people can be incredibly mobile in almost as wide a stance as they want.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    I think the stance is rather comfortable and if boxing has shown us anything, its that people can be incredibly mobile in almost as wide a stance as they want.

I am going to assume that you did not view the picture, which was meant as a joke. However, having done some serious boxing through our local boys club as a youth, I find it to be severely limited in it's scope. But then again, it is a sport form as well. I have noticed though that most everyone will attempt to box when they get into a fight. I guess it is the most common fighting form that most people have watched or seen, so it would be natural to attempt to copy it. When boxing, I found that spreading my feet more than shoulder width reduced my ability to move as quickly. And when actually fighting, I also found that if I had my feet spread more than shoulder width I could not kick as easily and would tend to telegraph my moves. Most people kick with the rear foot, which would have to move a great distance, and a person would have to shift to the front foot to retain any sort of balance. Just lifting the rear foot would make you fall back on your behind. And trying to kick with the front foot would not have the reach and again you would fall forward. You would also have to shift your weight to the rear foot, taking you back out of decent kicking range. I am not impressed with the wide stance at all. I wished everyone would use a really wide stance.

LCP

the chuka or pheonix eye fist is more near of the southern white crane fei he flying crane of malaysia....

I am not certain, but this looks to be southern mantis. The stance is too wide and the arms are wasting energy.
    No, I think that is fake Mantis...it looks like the person has not been schooled and trying to make up a new form...

whats u mean mr Chu....we have to talk about wing chun

I am going to assume that you did not view the picture, which was meant as a joke.
    Oh I viewed the pic, I thought your comment was meant as a critique of the stance in general, not of that specific pic.

However, having done some serious boxing through our local boys club as a youth, I find it to be severely limited in it's scope. But then again, it is a sport form as well.
    Boxing at a local boys club, I apologize, it is not anywhere near the level of professional boxing gyms. Its like saying you know wing chun because you learned from a newb student Pro gyms are much more demanding, much more refined.

I have noticed though that most everyone will attempt to box when they get into a fight. I guess it is the most common fighting form that most people have watched or seen, so it would be natural to attempt to copy it.
    Depends on your area I guess. I've always seen and been in street fights with people who wanted to wrestle me. Only a couple ppl have tried to slug with me.

When boxing, I found that spreading my feet more than shoulder width reduced my ability to move as quickly. And when actually fighting, I also found that if I had my feet spread more than shoulder width I could not kick as easily and would tend to telegraph my moves.
    Youre putting the blame on the stance. In reality, your quickness depends more on the muscles developed and your coordination. Its up to you to find the best way to move in any given stance, I hardly think there is a balanced position that cannot, with hard training, be easily shifted almost as quick as any other stance.

Most people kick with the rear foot, which would have to move a great distance, and a person would have to shift to the front foot to retain any sort of balance.
    Theoretically, do you realize how quickly the shift in stance to a better stance for kicking can be made though? It can be made almost instantaneous.
    Last edited by AdrianK; 11-16-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Hey "Uncle" Sam,
    Check out the dynamic tension thread here, There is alot of stuff discussing Sam Bo Ging. Your contribution would be very appreciated in this area!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    the chuka or pheonix eye fist is more near of the southern white crane fei he flying crane of malaysia....
    You are correct as far as the author of the Phoenix eye fist book said.

Quote Originally Posted by panthermantis View Post
    You are correct as far as the author of the Phoenix eye fist book said.
    I meant to say its southern praying mantis mixed with some white crane

Fukien White Crane and Five Ancestors seems to be a core in influencing alot of the Hakka fists. There are Crane sets that look extremely similar to SPM.
    What do you think was the core style that gave birth to Southern Mantis?
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

well

spm pak mei and dragon lung ying seem to be fromm the same core ......southern white crane and wing chun seem to have the same source

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn8xY...eature=related

here fukien white crane ....flying crane fei he from malaysia....

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Fukien White Crane and Five Ancestors seems to be a core in influencing alot of the Hakka fists. There are Crane sets that look extremely similar to SPM.
    What do you think was the core style that gave birth to Southern Mantis?
    From the Macao line that I was exposed too, it seems that Dragon (southern), if it was not the origin, had the greatest influence.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

dragon style seem to stay the same but the pak mei seem to have two version the HK style and the Fukien ....the Hk is a offshoot of the dragon style ...dragon style is probably the core of the hakka

Someone correct me on this, as I don't quite recall, but I believe Lam Sang, Chun Lai Chuen, and Lam Yui Kwai were all aquainted with each other, and all studied with a Monk. Might have been Lee Siem Si?
    (where's Sam, Doc Stier, and Mantis 108, and Jo when ya need them?)
    Last edited by TenTigers; 11-18-2009 at 02:35 PM.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.