Thread: Is Southern Praying Mantis the same style as "phoenix eye fist" kung fu/Chukka?

Hybrid View

Is Southern Praying Mantis the same style as "phoenix eye fist" kung fu/Chukka?

I've heard of "phoenix eye fist" kung fu and I've heard of Southern praying mantis. Somewhere I read that Southern Praying mantis doesn't have any trademarks of actual Tang Lang, but is instead the same as "Phoenix eye fist kung fu". Can someone fill me in? Thanks...

LTN

Hi

Been a few threads on that over the years I think, try search function and should bring up that info as well
    Supporter: The Australasian Martial Arts & Self Defence Forums - http://www.OzMAForums.com

Chuka = Chu Gar Southern Mantis, the one in Donn Draeger's book is a branch of Chu gar.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

All I get is 2 responses? Maybe if I asked "Is Southern Praying mantis the same as Shaolin-Do", I'd get a reply...

To the best of my basic, somewhat casual understanding, yes it is a style in the Southern Praying Mantis group.

I've always noticed that this Chukka seems somehow different, maybe a romanisation on Chow Gar / Chu Gar, which are more mainstream SPM, or maybe a romanisation of Hakka, referring to the race of people?

I'm sure the chinese characters would clear that up to someone who could read them.

Phoenix eye fist is common in that group of styles, family styles from southern China, many with Hakka roots.

So, like you, I've noticed it seems to be presented a little differently, but I reckon it comes from the same stuff as SPM, more of less.

That's about the best I can offer.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Somewhere I read that Southern Praying mantis doesn't have any trademarks of actual Tang Lang
    Its very efficient and from what I've experienced of northern mantis, it has little in common with it.

As for the "actual" tang lang, neither is "actual", one came from the north, one from the south. They are what they are and I don't believe they have any common ancestry.
    Last edited by AdrianK; 11-11-2009 at 06:24 PM.