Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help with training

I remember when Feagin was still alive and taught in Killeen
    went a couple times for seminars
    i thought my boy Damian took over the school.
    not sure though, coz i can't find the link no more
    I believe the school MK listed is now called "American Impact Martial Arts"
    Coz there's also http://martialartskilleen.com/ and another site referenced these guys as the same mantis organization.
    I just find it weird that a lot of these kung fu sites in Texas are advertising "mma" and "kickboxing" with absolutely no competition record.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    i realize it looks considerate in pixels, but half a neuron would have told you that if he is posting he obviously was safe.
    You are right! I didn't check on his posting day.

Quote Originally Posted by plummantisgeek View Post
    i practiced plum blossom mantis kung fu
    There is a 7 star mantis school in Austin. The 7 star mantis is very similiar to plum blossom mantis.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-09-2009 at 04:26 PM.

cool

thanks for the help guys. ive looked around here some i wanted to stay with a chinese styled martial art just because i didnt want to start at square one again and learn everything over i figured another chinese style would at least have the same stances and basic techniques. i am lvl 1 combatives certified and i do basic grappling at least once a week with my infantry guys (they really hate getting submitted by there medic hehe) but i dont find BJJ to be as fun to learn as kung fu, maybe im just too picky. most of the guys on post just do muay tai and BJJ and like to spout off how everything else is worthless and im not really into training with macho idiots like that. i have a friend who is much better than me at mantis thats going to be in iraq for five more months i wanted to improve my training a little so when he got back i could land a few on him or somthin. maybe i should just look for another Chinese martial arts practitioner to spar with. also alot of the schools i saw around here are taught by out of shape dudes that seem more interested in using chinese/japanese words and doing the whole belt thing than training really hard and being good fighters maybe im just biased because i had so many schools and options to choose from in korea thought.

oh and one guy asked where in korea i was stationed it was dongducheon, which is about an hour north of seoul on the subway.

Thank you for your service.

You can find a lot at Ft. Hood. Get invoves with combatives. It's good training, and more importanly, most combatives guys don't just do combatives. If there's training where you're at, that's how you'll find it. Besides, combatives can be a lot of fun. You get to fight all the time and can try to make your stuff work.

I'm not a big fan of forms. I would focus on basic conditioning. If you look at the warm ups you used to do in CMA, you can usually find a lot of good stuff in there. Also, if there's a military base, you can bet there's a Judo dojo around there somewhere!
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I just read your last post, Bro. Why not intorduce some CMA into your combatives? At least throw some out there in sparring. Pick fights with the Muay Thai guys, take advantage of the environment you're in. You're in the perfect environment to use what you've trained. Yeah, if it doesn't work, (and at first it's not gonna,) you'll end up with a black eye. But that's the fun part!
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You are right! I didn't check on his posting day.

There is a 7 star mantis school in Austin. The 7 star mantis is very similiar to plum blossom mantis.
    ..Don't forget the Southern Praying guy in Houston, Henry Poo Yee, maybe he has a satellite school? He's old school traditional.

I think Texas has as many good martial artists as guitar players and BBQ masters, you shouldn't have trouble finding what scratches your itch.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    Thank you for your service.

You can find a lot at Ft. Hood. Get invoves with combatives. It's good training, and more importanly, most combatives guys don't just do combatives. If there's training where you're at, that's how you'll find it. Besides, combatives can be a lot of fun. You get to fight all the time and can try to make your stuff work.
    How does that work on Active Duty? I've seen lots of clubs on base, but most the guys I know said they received very little hand to hand, just a few days here and there. That seems to be the general experience. What do you have to do to get regular training by 'staff'? Is that just job related? Get X training for this job, X+Y for this one, etc?

Or, is it just part of regular PT?
    Last edited by Yum Cha; 11-09-2009 at 06:40 PM.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    ... Pick fights with the Muay Thai guys, ...
    hey waitaminit!
    what'd we do to you?
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    How does that work on Active Duty? I've seen lots of clubs on base, but most the guys I know said they received very little hand to hand, just a few days here and there. That seems to be the general experience. What do you have to do to get regular training by 'staff'? Is that just job related? Get X training for this job, X+Y for this one, etc?

Or, is it just part of regular PT?
    it kind of depends on the company the person is in, every unit in the army is supposed to do combatives at least once a week but the only ones that usually follow that are the combat oriented units. there are 4 classifications of combatives 0- is soldiers from basic training that have just basic BJJ posistions training (mount, side control, etc...) and usually train to just get the dominate position always starting from a kneeling position as we just practice in the grass takedowns could hurt people, then theres lvl 1 - its initially a week long class that teaches basic chokes and submissions (rear naked choke, cross collar choke, straight arm bar, bent arm bar, gillotine, ect..) also some moves i never see in regular mma that uses your uniform like where you grab the persons collar and press your index knuckles into his adams apple (i dont know what thats called), then theres lvl 2 - is a two week class which is basically just more grappaling but they start from standing and use alot of judo throws and takedowns, and lvl 3 - which is a month long class thats basically just mma; boxing, muai tai, and they throw in some kali sticks and staff fighting too. the classes are initially short but most instructors keep practicing indefinatly and even if they dont anybody can challenge anybody regardless of rank or combatives lvl so they have to stay good if they dont want to be embarassed

oh and one guy asked where in korea i was stationed it was dongducheon, which is about an hour north of seoul on the subway.
    Do you know who your teacher studied under? Any connection to Lee De Jiang (Yi Duk Kang)?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I've seen some of the current training manuals, and was initially surprised to see so much technical BJJ, that is, as opposed to classic "military self defence techniques".

It sounds like you really want off-base training. You're on the right track, ask around, visit some guys, look for the Sifu and the vibe that fits.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Do you know who your teacher studied under? Any connection to Lee De Jiang (Yi Duk Kang)?
    my teachers name is PakChiMoon he told me he had alot of teachers in his youth but his main one was a man named LinPinJiang, they were both listed on a web page named mantis cave that just recently went down. mr pak just turned 79 so im not sure if any of his teachers are still alive.

my teachers name is PakChiMoon he told me he had alot of teachers in his youth but his main one was a man named LinPinJiang, they were both listed on a web page named mantis cave that just recently went down. mr pak just turned 79 so im not sure if any of his teachers are still alive.
    Studied directly under Lin Pan Zhang? Nice.

My Sigung's teacher trained under Lin Pan Zhang, as well.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 11-09-2009 at 09:21 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

They may be hard to find, but a base as large as Hood should have many martial artists floating around. Even on a small airfield in Germany, we had a Mantis guy teaching for a while. Try checking out the gyms and see what they offer. Also, you could put an ad or something in the post paper and see who comes out of the woodwork.

Have you checked the surrounding areas as well? Sometimes you can't find a good teacher with a google search and have to do some legwork.

Good luck and thanks for serving.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

- 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE