Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: UFC's Dan Hardy - Shaolin Temple trained!

I remember my training at the Kodokan and at the HQ of Kyokushin, it was quiet awesome in the mental sense.
    Technique wise, well, you get better because you are training everyday and hours and hours and training with top level people, but you don't actually learn anything "new" per say, well, that's not true, you learn more about YOURSELF.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

You guys are way to Descartean about this

I could cite the old 'East is East, West is West' but there's an intrinsic problem with that because in order to understand it, you must observing from either an eastern or western perspective so it ultimately falls flat.

CMA is all about spirit. That's the key of qi, which is the essence of CMA. Spirit is really the best translation of the word qi as long as you discard any religious baggage. You can lack spirit and be a good soldier/fighter, but to be a successful martial artists, it's a requirement. To be a successful CMAtist, you must have qi.

Okay, I confess, that's pretty taiji woo-woo, even for me, but you'll all really have to engage our upcoming article on Dan Hardy to stay in this discussion. That's our Subscribers should be receiving their issues starting now. The March April 2010 (Shaolin Special) drops on the newsstands next week.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

originally posted by Frost
    Silva would negate two of GSPs best weapons, his strength and ground game, silva walks aroundabout 220 i believe and its all muscle he would be too big for GSP (and if henderson had trouble taking him down and holding him down then GSP would have fits)
    Oh, I forgot, Silva was never a welterweight. I thought he fought welterweights in Pride though. If GSP and Silva could both get to 180 lbs they could fight. Then we'd see some action!
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

More on Hardy

We covered Dan in our 2010 Shaolin Special: Dan Hardy: An Outlaw in Shaolin Temple By Melissa Leon-Guerrero Do

Shaolin represented in UFC!

Our 2011 Shaolin Special is now at print! Subscribe now for special 'subscriber only' inserts.

Shaolin torture was the making of me, says Dan Hardy
    By Steve Lillis
    March 10, 2011

DAN HARDY was a 20-year-old art student when he spent two months being put through mental and physical torture by Shaolin monks.

After 48 hours at a ramshackle castle in Northern China close to the Mongolian desert, he was struggling to walk or raise his arms and surviving on portions of rice.

Dangerous Dan... Hardy is fired up for his meeting with Anthony Johnson in Seattle Dangerous Dan...

Hardy is fired up for his meeting with Anthony Johnson in Seattle His body would be put to the test for 12 hours a day, before collapsing into a deep sleep in a rat-infested room.

"I got hurt, I got injured, I got tired but I always came back for more because my brain told me I could overcome it all," recalled Hardy about that trip in the summer of 2002.

Hardy, 28 will draw on the mental strength he discovered then when he bids to earn a vital win against Anthony Johnson at UFC Fight Night 24 in Seattle on March 26.

The punk rock-loving welterweight said: "I was a fan of old school kung fu movies and went to live that life training with a bunch of monks and a few foreign guys.

"It made me as mentally strong as I am today because of what I had to do there.

"I pretty much lived on rice. In the morning you would eat rice with boiled eggs, lunch and evening meals was rice with steamed vegetables.

"It was very basic but what you need to get through a day of training.

"I slept on a metal frame bed with wooden slats, my pillow was a bag of rice, the bedroom window had no glass and there were rats under the bed.

"I was training so hard that the lack of comforts didn't matter. I was so tired I would have slept on a washing line.

"We would rise at 5am and if you didn't the monks would wake you with a stick. We would start every morning running or walking up 460 steps where your legs would give way. You would use hands.

"Straight after that were tai chi and breathing lessons for internal strength and mental focus.

The boundaries I had set and limitations I thought I had, I'd surpassed within a couple of weeks of being there

"Breakfast, followed by stance training and body conditioning. You could sleep for an hour after lunch before weapon and combat training."

"I did quite a bit of sparring in the evening. There were a couple of other British guys there who were keen on boxing so we would beat the hell out of each other."

It was a different to home town Nottingham and studying art at Trent University, but the man hoping to be Britain's first UFC champ wouldn't have it any other way.

He added: "After two days I was struggling to walk, my legs were sore and I couldn't lift my arms up because I was so worn out.

"At that point you can't rely on your physical fitness and conditioning because it is all about applying yourself when you're at your lowest.

"The boundaries I had set and limitations I thought I had, I'd surpassed within a couple weeks of being there.

"If that period hadn't happened in my life I would not be in the UFC. I would be a regular guy working and going out drinking at weekends.

"It was the two most important months of my life up until this point."

Hardy started last year as one of MMA's rising stars. His stock increased after lasting the five-round distance with Georges St Pierre in a title fight last March.

A stunning first-round KO defeat against Carlos Condit at UFC 120 crushed his reputation despite many considering him to be Britain's best MMA fighter.

Beating Johnson may lead to a Condit return and he added: "I had fought the best in GSP to a decision and didn't see what Condit had that could hurt me.

"I would fight Condit at the drop of a hat. If I fought him 10 times I would win nine times.

"The thing that annoys me is that he thinks he is better than me because he has that win. I need to get back to him and let him know that he is not."
    Hardy is slated to fight Anthony Johnson in Ultimate Fight Night 24 on March 26 in Seattle.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

3 strikes and you're out?

Mon Mar 28 11:22am EDT
    You tell us: Should the UFC keep Dan Hardy?
    By Maggie Hendricks

Despite sustaining his third loss at Ultimate Fight Night 24 -- often the death knell for a career in the UFC -- Dan Hardy still has the confidence of UFC boss Dana White. After Saturday's fights, White had this to say about Hardy's future employment:

"Not necessarily," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "We'll have to wait and see. I [expletive] love that kid."

Apparently, love will keep them together. But considering the competitive nature of the UFC, and the fact that some fighters get cut after just one loss, White's stance is surprising. After looking at both sides, you tell us: Would you cut Dan Hardy?

Yes: Three losses is unacceptable at this elite level of MMA. Sure, one was in a title shot against Georges St. Pierre, but since then he's been taken out by Carlos Condit and Anthony Johnson. He also has not improved in wrestling since coming to the UFC, and lost to both GSP and Johnson because of it. In fact, his last big, convincing win was a KO of Rory Markham more than two years ago.

No: Hardy makes fights fun. From the pre-fight trash talk right down to his mohawk and interplay with Bruce Buffer during introductions, you look forward to watching Hardy fight. He also brings in a fanbase from the UK. The man can sell a fight, and let's face it, the UFC is in the business to make money. Why would they cut such a valuable commodity?
    He's calling out Chris Lytle now. If he can get that fight and win, he's back in the game. If not, maybe he needs to go back to Shaolin.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

hopefully shaolin can help him with his tdd

honestly he should be cut its going to be obvious by now the guys grappling is horrible so everyone in his division is going to prey on that like sharks smelling blood in the water

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Chris Lytle def. Dan Hardy via submission (guillotine) - Rd 3, 4:16

Hardy better win the next one...for the honor of Shaolin!
    Dan Hardy: The Shaolin Punk
    Author: Duane Finley
    3 days ago

Welterweight Dan Hardy shot to title contention on the strength of a powerful left hook and razor sharp wit, but “The Outlaw” now has his back against the wall after losing three straight fights. Most fighters in his position go back to the drawing board, but the headstrong Brit has chosen to evolve his game rather than rebuild it.

“I think because I started at such a young age and have trained in so many styles, I have a system of training that I know works for me. I can make my training sessions more focused and cut down on the unnecessary stuff that I don't need to add to my game. I also have a lot of techniques that I have drilled into my brain at a young age I can draw on to catch my opponent off guard.”

This Sunday night at UFC on Versus 5, Hardy will face slugger Chris Lytle in the card’s main event. While Lytle is also coming off a recent setback, the Indianapolis native has made his name as a fighter that never quits and always shows up to fight. Those attributes have Hardy excited to mix it up.

“Fights can get very boring when one guy is playing it very safe and not trying to take the fight from their opponent. In order to beat an opponent within the distance, usually you have to at least expose yourself a little and some people don't want to take that risk. Chris isn't that kind of guy and he will try to take the fight from me, and that will give me the opportunity to take the fight from him. Neither of us are scared of taking risks and that is what makes this fight so exciting.”

While Hardy’s striking is considered to be among the best in the division, his seeming lack of ability to stop takedowns have garnered criticism. To remedy this part of his skill set he has made a change in his training camp, splitting time between Las Vegas and England. The results have him confident he’ll be prepared, no matter where the fight takes place.

“I feel awesome right now…the move to Vegas was a smart choice and I really see it paying off come fight night. Roy Nelson has put a lot of time into me and my camp has taken on quite a different structure, which gives me a very fresh outlook on my career. It was time to change things up and put myself in a different situation to force some self evolution.”

“It really doesn't matter to me,” Hardy elaborated about the matchup with Lytle. “But it’s not about whether the fight goes to the ground or not. I have seen many boring striking fights. It’s the intention of the fighter that matters. The equivalent to the lay and pray fighter is the striker that doesn't engage. If the fighter comes to fight, no matter where the fight goes it will be exciting. Chris is an aggressive and active fighter at every range so it doesn't matter where the fight happens.”

As Hardy continues to refine and progress his grappling skills, he compares the challenge to the work he has invested to become a powerful striker.

“I think years spent hitting bags and pads develops an ability to land shots with speed and power that can't be earned over a short period of time. On the other hand, years of drilling in wrestling and jiu-jitsu makes it second nature, but there are a lot of techniques in both styles that aren't suitable for MMA, whereas striking is a lot more straight forward and usable in the Octagon."

“The Shaolin Punk thing is in reference to my training and mindset of a few years ago, when I was out in China training with the monks. After my last fight I spent some time on my own, thinking over my journey through martial arts and remembering what I have put myself through to get to where I am. The time I spent in China was tough both physically and mentally, but I made some real progress while I was there, not only as a martial artist but as a person. Reminding myself of those struggles reminds me how to dig deep during training and what it takes to get better.

Hardy also let his fans know what to expect when he steps into the octagon this weekend in Milwaukee.

“The fans are going to see The Shaolin Punk! The Mixed Martial Outlaw, the guy that comes for a war and doesn't take a backward step.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Hardy better win the next one...for the honor of Shaolin!
    While Hardy’s striking is considered to be among the best in the division, his seeming lack of ability to stop takedowns have garnered criticism. To remedy this part of his skill set he has made a change in his training camp, splitting time between Las Vegas and England. The results have him confident he’ll be prepared, no matter where the fight takes place.

He clearly needs to work on his Ma Bu.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post

He clearly needs to work on his Ma Bu.
    thats what you get if your main sparring partners are all mainly stand up guys....and you mainly train BJJ in the states, personally i think paul daley had the best idea: go get a wrestling coach to teach you take down defences...i think he could have gone far in the ufc...shame he didnt stop hitting koscheck when the bell ended

i dont like koscheck, i can see why he didnt stop hitting him

unrelated but it thot it was hillarious when gsp destroyed koscheck with 3 rounds of jabs haha
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post

unrelated but it thot it was hillarious when gsp destroyed koscheck with 3 rounds of jabs haha
    Don't you hate when you something as silly as a jab takes you apart?
    Especially when your mouth was writting chq's that the little old jab just wouldn't let you cash
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post

if koscheck had said to me what he is reported to have said to paul...well id probably still be hitting him................

lol seriously. got to love it when guys get put in their place.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Back in the game

I was away from TVs over Memorial Day Weekend. Sounds like this fight went well with both this and Roy Nelson's results.
    HOTSHOT HARDY DOWNS DUANE

There have been some moans that Hardy had retained his place in the UFC

29th May 2012
    By Steve Lillis

DAN HARDY has saved his UFC career following a sensational first round KO of fellow big hitter Duane ‘Bang’ Ludwig.

The Nottingham cage ace faced the sack had he lost to the American at last weekend’s UFC 146, but a spine-chilling left hook ended it in just 235 seconds.

Hardy’s demolition job in Las Vegas earned him a £45,000 ‘Knockout of the Night’ bonus and the promise of a fight when the UFC lands in his home town later this year.

Hardy, 30, said. “You can put all the work in and if it goes wrong for 15 minutes, then none of it matters.

“I’ve had a bad run. I took some time off, and then I changed everything. New team, new training.

“It feels great. When you connect with the right shot, you know it’s over. “I put my arms up in celebration a little prematurely, but when he looked back up, I wasn’t going to let it slip away. So I went in and got the finish.”

There have been some moans that Hardy had retained his place in the UFC.

Three straight losses usually see you chopped from the roster, but the backing of President Dana White looks justified.

When Hardy lost in a welterweight title challenge against Georges St Pierre in March 2010, he was still being tipped for the very top.

But inside-the-distance setbacks against Carlos Condoit, Anthony Johnson and Chris Lytle saw him kept on, although relegated to the undercard leg of the show.

Punk rocker Hardy shifted his base to Las Vegas and joined the team of Frank Mir, who failed in his heavyweight title bid against Junior dos Santos the MGM Grand show on Saturday.

Hardy added: “I can’t watch those last three losses. I have no real connection with the person I’m watching. I don’t feel I was 100 per cent myself at that point.”

It had been two-and-a-half years since Hardy’s last victory and he admitted growing tired of cage fighting.

He added: “I stepped into the cage for the first time in a long time with a 100 per cent confidence I was going to win.

“And that brings a whole new level of excitement to being there. I’ve needed to go through this to appreciate the work that I’ve put in.”

Liverpool’s Paul Sass also picked up a £45,000 bonus at UFC 146, winning ‘Submission of the Night’ for his triangle armbar on Jacob Volkmann.

Sass, 23, can expect a step up in class when the UFC heads to Nottingham.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

a comeback?

I had lost track of Dan. Nice to hear he's keeping busy.
    Morning Report: Hoping for a 2015 return at lightweight, Dan Hardy would like to teach Diego Sanchez a lesson in martial arts
    By David St. Martin @SaintMMA on Oct 8 2014, 8:00a

Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

Sidelined since being diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome in 2012, UFC welterweight turned commentator Dan Hardy plans to return to fighting in 2015.

"I'm looking at getting cleared the beginning of next year," Hardy told MMAnytt. "I've spoken to a few doctors and it's looking positive. I don't see a reason why I wouldn't get cleared to fight, so now, really, it's just about getting back into training camp. Getting back into the groove of preparing for a fight."

Training every day, Hardy says his new physique more closely resembles the one he enjoyed prior to joining the UFC in 2008.

"When I was fighting at 170 [pounds] I was walking around 215," said Hardy. "Although I was a big, strong athlete in the weight class I was never as quick and agile as I used to be. That was my fighting style. I'm not a power puncher. My skill is speed, being a technician and just being better than my opponent. I feel like when I joined the UFC I got away from that."

Frustrated by the two-year layoff due to the rare heart disorder, Hardy wants two to three more fights before shifting his focus entirely to commentating.

"My natural weight has leveled out to about 178," said Hardy. "Even if I go back to fight at welterweight I wouldn't be a great deal bigger than I am now. I think lightweight would be a great challenge for me. I think there are a lot of good fighters at that weight class, a lot of good kick boxers so I could have some good fights."

One man Hardy has already set his sights on is Diego Sanchez. Scoring just a pair of controversial split decision wins over Takanori Gomi and Ross Pearson, Sanchez claims a shaky 2-3 record dating back to 2012.

"He's always kind of irritated me," Hardy said of Sanchez. "I like Diego, I respect him and I forgive him for his strangeness, but in my opinion he's kind of the problem with mixed martial arts. He started off as a really good fighter and he's just slowly gotten worse throughout his career. That is the opposite to how martial artists should develop.

"He's discarded technique, he's discarded logic and intelligence and he's gone with hard-headedness and blocking punches with his face. That is not a good example for future mixed martial artists. I just feel like, particularly with my fighting style and how it's developing the last couple of years, I think that I could really expose him and hopefully teach him something about the martial arts and where he's gone wrong."

If the booking should ever happen, Hardy isn't worried about ending up on the business end of another infamous Sanchez decision.

"I wouldn't need 15 minutes. I'm sure of that."

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips