Thread: Best type of T'ai Chi for Mental Health patients

Question Best type of T'ai Chi for Mental Health patients

Hello,
    Its been about 2 years since I posted on here. I have been studying martial arts for oh about 17 years now, but I'm still not teaching any. I would like to start teaching a basic Tai Chi set at work - I work as an Occupational Therapy technician in a community mental health setting.

So, I have studied Tai Chi for about 7 years, mostly Yang style but also Cheng Hsin (if you are happy to call that a style of Tai Chi). I am aware of the Sun style Tai Chi being supposedly good for people with Arthritis, I am wondering if anyone has any advice on the best styles for Mental health.

I would have thought that a basic small set is best to begin with as it will be easier for me to learn and thus to teach, also I want to do something which is simple for people to pick up and not a whole load of movements. Although people with Mental Health problems can generally move just like anyone else, it should also be something without ambitious moves that might daunt someone with low confidence. having said this it does need to be something which will inspire confidence and self esteem. The martial aspects could be played down and my employers would probably prefer for me not to teach these. Also, I am wondering about any contraindications with moving energy around the body in people who are anxious, depressed, suffering from PTSD etc.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and thoughts.
    Ecce nunc patiemur philosphantem nobis asinum?

what transcends the buddha and the law? Cakes.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century

1. 8 Form Taijiquan
    2. 16 Form Taijiquan
    3. 24 Form Taijiquan
    4. 48 Form (adapted to individual conditioning)
    4. Wu (Jianquan) style

My reason for using the Beijing Forms (first 3) is that sudden "destressing" can bring on increased symptom presentation so slow and easily learned movement patterns are the rule.
    Perceived difficult movements can also aggravate the individual and cause him/her to lose interest.
    I incorporated taijiquan at a nursing home for those who were diagnosed with schizophrenia, chronic undiffrentiated (they were taking medication also) and it was a positive experience. My concentration was to incorporate PT, OT and exercise into an easily doable regimen. Classes were daily, 30-40 minutes, M-F.

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    1. 8 Form Taijiquan
    2. 16 Form Taijiquan
    3. 24 Form Taijiquan
    4. 48 Form (adapted to individual conditioning)
    4. Wu (Jianquan) style

My reason for using the Beijing Forms (first 3) is that sudden "destressing" can bring on increased symptom presentation so slow and easily learned movement patterns are the rule.
    Perceived difficult movements can also aggravate the individual and cause him/her to lose interest.
    I incorporated taijiquan at a nursing home for those who were diagnosed with schizophrenia, chronic undiffrentiated (they were taking medication also) and it was a positive experience. My concentration was to incorporate PT, OT and exercise into an easily doable regimen. Classes were daily, 30-40 minutes, M-F.
    Thats interesting. Thanks for your reply. Did you have any problems with teaching Taiji to people with schizophrenia? I am aware that qigong for psychosis is not necessarily a good idea.
    Ecce nunc patiemur philosphantem nobis asinum?

what transcends the buddha and the law? Cakes.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century